Record for a cache being taken?

Shuckymomo

Mine is 1 day! I placed a cache here in town to get rid of some trackables, as there weren't any caches close by that would hold them. So, I made a cache, trotted out to the riverbed, placed it, got approved, 2 seekers couldn't find it and so I went out there and it was gone.

The only thing I could think of is that some kids hang out in the area. (It seems to be a popular hangout spot for the highschoolers to drink). My guess is that they were kicking around and uncovered it.

Mine is 1 day! I placed a cache here in town to get rid of some trackables, as there weren't any caches close by that would hold them. So, I made a cache, trotted out to the riverbed, placed it, got approved, 2 seekers couldn't find it and so I went out there and it was gone.

The only thing I could think of is that some kids hang out in the area. (It seems to be a popular hangout spot for the highschoolers to drink). My guess is that they were kicking around and uncovered it.

I think you hit it on the head! I recall a somewhat similar local story: A local cacher who was a relative newcomer to caching hid his first cache in a gulley in a wooded area behind the apartment building (or condo building) in which he lived. The cache container was an ammo can with a padlock on it, and the access code for the lock had been provided on the listing page. Sue and I happened to be the FTF finders about four hours after the cache had been listed, and we discovered the following in short order as we arrived at the hide site:

• the ammo can, when emplaced in its hide spot, was clearly visible to anyone within about fifteen feet; it was not hidden at all, but rather wedged under some roots of a tree.
  • the area which had been chosen for the hide spot was obviously a gathering place for local teens and twenty-somethings and perhaps for homeless people as well.
  • by the time we arrived onsite as the FTF finders, perhaps four hours after the cache had been published, we found that the padlock had been cut with a bolt cutter and most of the contents of the cache container had long since been removed.
  • the cache owner had mentioned on the cache listing page that he had left an expensive gold necklace in the cache as an FTF prize. That necklace, along with most other items from the cache container, was long gone by the time we arrived.
  • we duly logged our find and the news of the muggling on the cache listing page and also sent a private note to the cache owner suggesting that he move the cache to a far less-frequented spot and that he actually hide the container next time around if he did not want it to be muggled so fast. (To my recollection, he disappeared from the caching scene shortly thereafter...)