Geobuddy and Comparison Shopping for Software

sophianajones

We've been getting along without mapping software on our Garmin... barely. Map Source is terribly pricey. I ran into the GeoBuddy software on an ad on geocaching.com and it looked pretty cool. Tons cheaper, too. However, I want to know if having geobuddy maps will enable the "points of interest" feature on the GPSr. It's important to know which restaurants are within a 10 mile vicinity at all times. (to my husband, at least)

Anyway, what are some pros and cons some of you more experienced ones might have? :huh:

We've been getting along without mapping software on our Garmin... barely. Map Source is terribly pricey. I ran into the GeoBuddy software on an ad on geocaching.com and it looked pretty cool. Tons cheaper, too.

I just checked out geobuddy, regular price is $99 but they are currently(summer 2007) $50 off. Even at $50 I wouldn't give them my money. you can buy garmin topo 2008 at amazon.com for around $50. Another option GSAK, is only $25 and you can open waypoints in many free online maps.

The raster (bitmap) topo maps and aerial photos that GeoBuddy displays on your PC aren't anything like the vector (line) maps that MapSource Topo provides. You're stuck with MapSource if you want to send maps to your GPS. GeoBuddy maps are used on your PC to help you plan your caching trip. Many cachers use MapSource Topo on their GPS but carry a printed GeoBuddy topo map or aerial photo for navigation. It's much easier to get your bearings on a 8.5x11 inch printed map than on the tiny screen of your Garmin.

Save your pennies to get MapSource maps when you can. They are worth it.

PC-based mapping and geocaching tools are very different - though very useful.

Does GSAK provide on-line aerial photos and USGS topo maps? Can GSAK import scanned maps (jpg, tiff, bmp)?

I've used ExpertGPS for a number of years and have found it to powerful and amazingly easy to use.

Topografix has taken ExpertGPS and added a lot of features specifically addressing the needs of geocachers. Pretty cool!

Edited by kenk

Most older GPS receivers had a fixed POI database (separate from user waypoints) that could only be modified by using MapSource to send a new map region to the GPS.

Some of the newer GPS receivers have user-definable POIs (again, different from waypoints). ExpertGPS and GeoBuddy will be supporting these soon.

ExpertGPS, GeoBuddy, and EasyGPS all support automatic waypoint transfer (as well as route and track transfer).

I hope that clears up the confusion.

I just went to the Geobuddy website and was going to buy and download the software. BUT, that website doesn't accept "E-mail address from Yahoo, MSN, etc! What's with that!!!!

I guess I'll look elsewhere for additional software.

Most people use those email accounts to remain anonymous. My guess would be that they want a valid email address in case there is a problem with your payment.

I switched to a new e-commerce provider for GeoBuddy credit card sales, and they were blocking yahoo and other free email accounts. They've made a change at my request, and yahoo, hotmail, and other free email accounts are now accepted for GeoBuddy orders.

I sincerely apologize to any geocachers who went through the order process, only to have their order rejected. If this happened to you, send me an email privately and I'll make it right.

Does GSAK provide on-line aerial photos and USGS topo maps? Can GSAK import scanned maps (jpg, tiff, bmp)?

Yes.

I would get Mapsource. I have tried several "alternatives" and keep coming back. Combine Mapsource and the free NRoute with GSAK, you will find you have everything you need.

A good friend of mine once told me, in regards to tool purchases, cry once. Bite the bullet, buy what you need now.