Maui Caches?

6coondawgs

We are heading to Maui next week for about a week. I've done a bit of looking at things to do, but I'm wondering if there's any specific recommendations for spots to see or especially and must do geacaches. We'll be staying in Kehei and plan to take the road to Hana one day and probably some snorkeling somewhere, but we're pretty open right now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

We are heading to Maui next week for about a week. I've done a bit of looking at things to do, but I'm wondering if there's any specific recommendations for spots to see or especially and must do geacaches. We'll be staying in Kehei and plan to take the road to Hana one day and probably some snorkeling somewhere, but we're pretty open right now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

For snorkeling, one of our favorite spots is Hanolua Bay. From where you will be, head up the road past Lahaina, and continue up and around. After you pass Napili and Kapalua, the road will narrow and wind around. You will see signs, and cars parked all over. You have to walk a bit to get to the bay, but it's through some beautiful trees and undergrowth. There used to be "Sunglass" cache there, but I'm not sure if it is still active. Two trips ago, we had sea turtles come up and swim along side us, and last trip, dolphins swam into the bay and put on quite a show!

When you are through there, continue on the road to the blow hole. It's pretty cool to see. Eddie's Nakalele Blowhole cache was there last time we visited. You need to check whether or not it is still there.

One word of caution...leave anything you don't need in your room, and take everything with you when you leave your car at both spots. Locals have been known to hit tourists cars...especially at the blowhole.

My advice for the road to Hana is to take your time. If you are going to circle the island...(Which the rental car companies make you agree not to,) then it is a full day trip. Another option, which you won't hear about is this...take your time on the road and enjoy the sights. Continue past Hana, there are some great pools for swimming, a black sand beach, and just beautiful scenery. Grab dinner in Hana, and wait until after dark to head back. It's actually easier to drive the road at night since you can see headlights of oncoming cars around the narrow curves. (At least that's what I found.) Also, if mosquitos like you, make sure to use lot's fo repellant! There are tons of skeeters all through the rainforest and around the pools and falls!

Aloha!