Mapsource with geocaching vs Navigation

Geokashers

Hi, I'm pretty new to Geocaching still and I'm still trying to figure out how everything works together. I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and purchased Mapsource for it. I'm mostly geocaching so I'm using it with the 'Lock on Road' setting off so that I can get to the Geocache Navigation screen. But I can't seem to get the navigation piece of it to work. I was out of state and wanted to navigate to Phoenix, Arizona from the middle of New Mexico and when I wanted to type in the name it only seemed to know about Pleasanton, California if I remember correctly. I could use it to navigate! In fact I couldn't even see the street level maps. I just went through the map setup screen and saw how there are a couple city names in there....and none were selected. I just selected Modesto and now I can see some street names when I zoom in far enough.

So I'm kinda lost. Do I need to be switching 'modes' when trying to geocache vs navigation? Any other settings that the pros would recommend? Also, I purchased Mapsource a month or so ago....and it seems as if the software was already a year old and out of date. There are several businesses listed on the maps that are no longer there or have moved. Are we supposed to be able to buy the software and then get an update with it or.....are we stuck? How often is the software updated?

Thanks in advance for any help! :rolleyes:

Edited by Geokashers

Hi, I'm pretty new to Geocaching still and I'm still trying to figure out how everything works together. I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and purchased Mapsource for it. I'm mostly geocaching so I'm using it with the 'Lock on Road' setting off so that I can get to the Geocache Navigation screen. But I can't seem to get the navigation piece of it to work. I was out of state and wanted to navigate to Phoenix, Arizona from the middle of New Mexico and when I wanted to type in the name it only seemed to know about Pleasanton, California if I remember correctly. I could use it to navigate! In fact I couldn't even see the street level maps. I just went through the map setup screen and saw how there are a couple city names in there....and none were selected. I just selected Modesto and now I can see some street names when I zoom in far enough.

So I'm kinda lost. Do I need to be switching 'modes' when trying to geocache vs navigation? Any other settings that the pros would recommend? Also, I purchased Mapsource a month or so ago....and it seems as if the software was already a year old and out of date. There are several businesses listed on the maps that are no longer there or have moved. Are we supposed to be able to buy the software and then get an update with it or.....are we stuck? How often is the software updated?

Oops....if I try to navigate to Phoenix right now....and I start to type in a city name....I enter a 'P' and the only city diapleyed is Patterson, CA. There are no other 'P' cities displayed. Help!

Mapsource? You need City Navigator to be able to route with the 60CSX.

Mapsource? You need City Navigator to be able to route with the 60CSX.

It's MapSource City Navigator that I have. Sorry I wasn't specific enough. Hope the additional info helps. Thanks!

How many map segments did you load to your GPS? If you just selected an area near your house, it may just be showing cities in that area. You can load more segments and try again. Also, are you pushing "Find", then "Cities", and then once on that page hitting "Menu" to find cities by name? If you don't push menu and type it in it usually just shows the closest cities to your current location.

You also asked if you needed to switch modes when caching. I usually use the navigation (follow roads) when getting to the cache location. Once I arrive, I switch to the map screen, hit menu and recalculate using "off road". That seems to work for me.

I was out of state and wanted to navigate to Phoenix, Arizona from the middle of New Mexico and when I wanted to type in the name it only seemed to know about Pleasanton, California if I remember correctly

Don't forget to change the state when looking for an address. I do that all the time and wonder why it can't find a major city, then I look and see I'm looking in the wrong state. Oops.

Since you the 60CSX you have a lot of capabilities. First I would purchase a 2gig Micro SD card and install it. 2nd open up City Navigator and select all of the US. With a 2 gig card you will be able to download maps of the entire country. Once these are loaded you can now navigate anywhere within the US. The download will take a while unless you load directly onto the card, but that would require learning a bit more about your software and hardware and setting it up to do so.

To navigate press the find button and select the type of item to find, address, city, geocache etc. Yes you can navigate to a geocache also. If you have things setup properly it wll list all of the geocaches you have loaded with the closest being on top of the list. Once you select one it will ask you how you want to proceed. Follow road will start the navigation.

You should have you GPs setup to prompt you for the method of navigation. This allows you to recalculate and switch to off road when you get close.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance send me a note and I will try to work you through your issues.

:rolleyes:

How many map segments did you load to your GPS? If you just selected an area near your house, it may just be showing cities in that area. You can load more segments and try again. Also, are you pushing "Find", then "Cities", and then once on that page hitting "Menu" to find cities by name? If you don't push menu and type it in it usually just shows the closest cities to your current location.

To add to wpwfs2003's question, what City Navigator map segments did you download to your unit, using MapSource? If you didn't load the map segment that includes Phoenix, your unit may not be able to search for any points of interest, even including big cities, that are loaded with that map segment.

--Larry

Since you the 60CSX you have a lot of capabilities. First I would purchase a 2gig Micro SD card and install it. 2nd open up City Navigator and select all of the US. With a 2 gig card you will be able to download maps of the entire country. Once these are loaded you can now navigate anywhere within the US. The download will take a while unless you load directly onto the card, but that would require learning a bit more about your software and hardware and setting it up to do so.

To navigate press the find button and select the type of item to find, address, city, geocache etc. Yes you can navigate to a geocache also. If you have things setup properly it wll list all of the geocaches you have loaded with the closest being on top of the list. Once you select one it will ask you how you want to proceed. Follow road will start the navigation.

You should have you GPs setup to prompt you for the method of navigation. This allows you to recalculate and switch to off road when you get close.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance send me a note and I will try to work you through your issues.

:anitongue:

Hi Night Stalker,

Great note! I'm gripless. After reading your note I played around a bit and I didn't have the necessary maps loaded! I had tested this out before heading out on a vacation to the midwest....but all my testing was local so I didn't have any problems with the one local map I had loaded! Argh! I've loaded 2/3s of the US maps (175 areas) and it takes up 923MB of my 1GB card. Took a long time to download all the maps but in the end I was able to find Phoenix! Yeah! Thanks so much!

So for the switching between geocaching and road directions what's the easiest way to change between 'follow road' and 'off road'? Is this the same thing as the Map setup 'Lock on Road yes/no'? To get to the 'Lock on road' stuff I have to navigate through all sorts of windows and screens to change it each time. So I'm guessing that 'follow road' or 'off road' is different (?) and that you can add it to a menu for ease of change?

Should the 'Go to Line' be 'Course' or 'Bearing'? Any other options I should be setting? I have orientation set to 'North Up'. Other than that and the changing of the page sequence that's displayed I am using the factory defaults...

Sorry if these are really dumb questions! I think I'm 'almost there'!

Thanks again...the help I've received so far has been excellent! :anitongue: