Official Sounding Bomb Squad Doofie

This user: 18-3320

Logged this note:

Unfortuately, this travel bug was placed in a geocache on private property without the property owners consent. Furthermore it was chained to a telephone pole. The cache consisted of a military ammo can with only military markings on the outside. Thus it was reported to law enforcment as a suspicious package and after examination removed by the Bomb Squad and the contents disposed of. Please follow the rules and guidelines as set forth on www.geocaching.com. Please see www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

On travel bugs from two caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...a6-ae998bdee9ee

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=369225

The one cache: The Cachebug.com geocoin vault Is reported by locals as being placed on the guys own property and the cache was marked as a geocache.

Something is afoot.

Edited by Renegade Knight

You say that the travel bug and coin were from two different caches, but one of them was never recorded as having been dropped off. It is possible that both were really in the same cache.

Secondly, "on his own property" may, in fact, be true, but considering that it was chained to a telephone pole I figure it was probably on a utility easement (being on a corner of the property, it probably was not a part of a lateral line). That would mean that he had less than complete control over what happened on that particular piece of property. It would be possible for someone of the general public, or a utility worker, or...you name it, to have stumbled upon it and called someone to deal with it. The responding bomb squad might not necessarily contact the land owner, considering what it was chained to. I don't know why they wouldn't have simply blown it to bits, but if they did take it apart, then one of them might have created an account just to tell the owners what had happened (I've seen this happen on an old favorite of mine that was confiscated by forest rangers).

Not sure what the deal is about it supposedly being on private property without the owner's consent. I wonder if the property/cache owner denied involvement in the cache's placement after the authorities were called. Maybe the owner was afraid of getting in trouble for the commotion it caused.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

Not that it means anything but 18-3320 appears to be a reference to the Idaho Statute of the same name.

TITLE  18
						CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
							  CHAPTER 33
					   FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND
						 OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS
18-3320.  UNLAWFUL USE OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE OR BOMB. Any person who
knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly:
(1)  Conspires to use, uses or causes to be used a destructive device or
bomb in the commission of or an attempt to commit a felony; or
(2)  With the intent to injure the person or property of another,
transports a bomb or destructive device; or
(3)  Injures another or conspires or attempts to injure another in his
person or property through the use of a destructive device or bomb is guilty
of a felony, punishable by up to a twenty-five thousand dollar ($25,000) fine
and life in prison.

Since 18-3320 was able to grab these TBs he obviously accessed the geocache before the cache was reported as a suspicious package. To me it looks like a geocoin thief going to extraordinary lengths for a little negative attention.

...Not sure what the deal is about it supposedly being on private property without the owner's consent. I wonder if the property/cache owner denied involvement in the cache's placement after the authorities were called. Maybe the owner was afraid of getting in trouble for the commotion it caused.

Another local made some inquires with people he knew who worked in or with the bomb squad. Nothing on this particular cache.

As for the utility easement. On residential property they tend to be a blanket non exclusive easement. That means chaining a bike or a cache to a utility pole on your property is valid as it does no harm to the utility, and lets you enjoy your own property.

I thought about the posting style and wondered about what disposal means. Apparently it means breaking the lock on the ammo can, and then disposing of the contents by giving them all to this person to log. Not quite bomb squad style.

Glenn noticed another thing about this cachers name.

All things considered they are an experienced cacher playing games to make a point. Of course I could be wrong.

Somehow the John Deere travelbug made it back to the owner. Granted, the owner may have released the copy tag. I wonder what the story is behind that one.

Another local made some inquires with people he knew who worked in or with the bomb squad. Nothing on this particular cache.

Yeah, the guy did state that it was taken by the bomb squad. That leaves quite a bit of untruth in his message, now. I wonder how much email he's gotten from people about this?

That's a pretty [bad] thing to do. Unfortunately, there's not much can be done unless they are caught in the act doing something like this. People like this are spineless little vermin who hide in the anonymity of this website.

[Potty language edited by moderator.]

Edited by Keystone