Starting out, What gps should I get

MisterSteve124

Hey I'm 15 years old so I want to buy a gps that won't be expensive. I'm trying to spend under $100 I was looking at getting the Magellan Explorist 100. It seemed like it would be a pretty good choice and was pretty cheap. I also have been looking at some used ones on ebay. Is there any gpses I should be staying away from or specific ones I should look at buying?

The Magellan 100 (and 200 and 300) will do the job, but it doesn't have an easy way to hook up to a PC and transfer waypoints. If you get even slightly into the sport you will want that feature.

The low end Garmin units like the basic eTrex, Geko 201 and the new eTrex H (H is for high sensitivity receiver)

can often be found for under $100 and they all have the capability to easily hook up to a PC.

The Lowrance GO and GO2 are also under $100 but they have the same limitation as the Magellan 100.

The new Basic yellow etrex H (make sure it has the "H") is your best choice as it easily hooks up to a PC for transfering waypoints and is a very rugged unit.

If you can wait and save up a bit more you can get a lot more "bells and whistles" like USb hookup, color screen, longer battery life etc with some of the other "H" model units like the legend.

All the extras are nice and make the unit more useful for a wider range of applications. However, you will be able to find just as many caches as with the $100 models.

Ok thanks for that info. Why do I want to be able to plug it into the computer again? I also read on a review that the megellan didn't have a electronic compass or something like that so you couldn't see which direction the location is in when you get close or something to that extent. Is that something else that I want?

Ok thanks for that info. Why do I want to be able to plug it into the computer again? I also read on a review that the megellan didn't have a electronic compass or something like that so you couldn't see which direction the location is in when you get close or something to that extent. Is that something else that I want?

quite often when i go out I plot out 20 or so caches I might like to try that day. I set them all up hook the gps to the computer and hit sent, as long as the coords are right on the computer they will be right on my gps no user error.

I carry a small pull tab compass that I found in a cache works well enough for me and I saved a bunch of money by not getting the bells and whistles I didn't really need.

quite often when i go out I plot out 20 or so caches I might like to try that day. I set them all up hook the gps to the computer and hit sent, as long as the coords are right on the computer they will be right on my gps no user error.

I carry a small pull tab compass that I found in a cache works well enough for me and I saved a bunch of money by not getting the bells and whistles I didn't really need.

Sorry about the last copy of the previous post -- I'm new to this.

I just wanted to say I got mine on Ebay and saved a bunch of money. Mine is a Magellan Map 330, which I love, but I think is an older model?? Anyway, what I like is it has one of those circle with arrows things (I don't know what it's called) which makes it much easier to enter waypoints than my Mom's etrex

Downloading the cache coordinates directly into the GPS will save a lot of time and frustration over putting them in slightly wrong. We all fat finger little keyboards from time to time.

Why do I want to be able to plug it into the computer again?

1. You can load waypoints directly to your GPS with no chance of making mistakes. Otherwise you may find yourself wasting time searching the wrong place because you made an error keying them in.

2. Mass dowloads of waypoints. If you are a PM you can send up to 500 waypoints to your unit. Very handy when you're out for a day of caching.

3. You can upload new versions of firmware to your unit. GPS mfrs frequently upgrade their firmware, bringing in fixes for bugs, new features and performance enhancements. If your unit hooks up to your PC you can do this in a few minutes at home, rather than sending your unit back to the mfr.