Garmin GPSMAP60csx vs. Vista HCx

embricate

I've been looking at buying a new GPS unit (my current model is the etrex legend). I've been looking at the GPSMAP60csx, which I can buy for $300 on amazon.com, but I just compared it to the Vista HCx on Garmin's website. I can currently buy the Vista HCx for $243.37 on Amazon.

It appears to me the ONLY difference between the two units is that the 60csx has tide software, and the Vista is lighter and has better battery performance. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the differences between these two products. I know they both are the higher accuracy models, but the 60cxs makes a big deal about this SiRF chipset, which the Vista doesn't mention. I would like the ability to use my GPS under treecover, in buildings, etc.

Is the 60csx woth the extra $50 and shorter battery life (does it outperform the Vista)?

Thanks.

See here

I had the 60 and took it back in favor of the Vista. I'm using it while riding my motorcycle and the 60 screen was not bright enough at 100%...Vista good at 50-60%. Other than that, I would have liked to have kept the 60 because the buttons are on the front, but even while riding, I can manipulate the Vista's buttons with a gloved hand.

I've been looking at buying a new GPS unit (my current model is the etrex legend). I've been looking at the GPSMAP60csx, which I can buy for $300 on amazon.com, but I just compared it to the Vista HCx on Garmin's website. I can currently buy the Vista HCx for $243.37 on Amazon.

It appears to me the ONLY difference between the two units is that the 60csx has tide software, and the Vista is lighter and has better battery performance. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the differences between these two products. I know they both are the higher accuracy models, but the 60cxs makes a big deal about this SiRF chipset, which the Vista doesn't mention. I would like the ability to use my GPS under treecover, in buildings, etc.

Is the 60csx woth the extra $50 and shorter battery life (does it outperform the Vista)?

Thanks.

See here

So, I looked at the file, but most of the syntax seemed to be in German. Are you saying, basically that the Vista kicked the 60s arse?

Thanks

The author indicates that he did a test but the units were set up slightly differently (one with lock on road the other not), and that for the most part the HCX did as well as or slightly better than the 60CSx (not exactly "kicking arse"). Note that the test was under pretty extreme conditions on a train. In the tunnel entering Vienna the HCx held a signal slightly longer - both lost signal. When comparing in a forest, both are very similar in their performance; the CSx's coordinates bounced a bit more than the HCx.

I have a 60CSx now and will likely be getting a Vista HCx tomorrow.

The 60CSx, especially under extreme conditions, tends to exhibit some position 'bouncing'. I attribute this to multipath error where it is picking up reflected signals and interpreting them as the 'good' signal.

I'm hopeful the HCx will see a bit less of this, perhaps because the patch antenna doesn't have the type of near-perfect off-axis signal reception of the 60's quad-helix antenna.

If you want some side by side tests of the 60CSx and eTrex Vista HCx, let me know what you'd like to see done.

I did some driving around town today with the Vista HCx.

My qualitative observations of the unit, from the perspective of someone who used the 60CSx for nearly a year:

- it gets a position lock fast... much faster than the 60CSx

- the screen is significantly brighter which probably relates to having the same power source for both the 60CSx and the Vista HCx but the Vista having a smaller screen. Same power, smaller area, brighter output.

- the interface takes some getting used to but it's well thought out; the 60CSx has a button for every function where you have to think about what you're doing with the eTrex since buttons have multiple functions.

I'm not missing the 60CSx yet. If you have fat hands, the 60CSx will be easier to use on account of the button layout. That aside, Garmin has basically crammed a 60CSx into an eTrex form factor with the Vista HCx.

I just got the Vista HCx as an upgrade to my Vista C. Boy, is it fast. It calculates a route lightning fast and the transfer of tracks and waypoints back to the Mapsource maps on my computer is also very fast.

I prefer the Click Stick for navigation compared to the Rocker Button and "Enter" button on the 60Cx/CSx.

I just got the Vista HCx as an upgrade to my Vista C. Boy, is it fast. It calculates a route lightning fast and the transfer of tracks and waypoints back to the Mapsource maps on my computer is also very fast.
My 60CS calculates a route in about 5 seconds, which is fast enough. So that would not make me want a new GPS. The biggest reason I would convert is the sensitivity. I'm still debating about getting a Triton because you can load National Geographic topos into that GPS and it has the Sirf Star III chip. Edited by TrailGators