Portable car GPS systems

just looking for some ideas for auto gps units for under $500.

posting this while searching the web.

anyone have some pro's and cons or thoughts on decent models...i do own a hand held but very basic...(garmin etrex)

not looking for a lot of bells and whistles...just the basics plus voice and downloadable maps and such...

thanks in advance,

mike

Edited by 1trueamerican

The nuvi 350 is an excellent unit. For a little bit less, there is the nuvi 250 but it doesn't have TTS.

The difference is that they both have voice prompts but the 250 doesn't speak the street names.

Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft.")

Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.")

The battery life is longer on the 350 and it has an mp3 player and a headphone jack.

The 350 is compatible with FM Traffic.

just looking for some ideas for auto gps units for under $500.

posting this while searching the web.

anyone have some pro's and cons or thoughts on decent models...i do own a hand held but very basic...(garmin etrex)

not looking for a lot of bells and whistles...just the basics plus voice and downloadable maps and such...

thanks in advance,

mike

Mike,

I have a Garmin 60CSx for navigation as well as GCing. I'm really glad that it doesn't talk but just beeps.

Heres how I mount it in my car.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=169446&hl=

Stay away from TomTom. Their software and their hardware units are completely retarded with regards to POI's from their cheapest to most expensive models.

I love TomTom, and think it is one of the best Car Nav systems for geocaching. I can download geocaching POIs from GSAK directly to TomTom and even have TomTom alert me if I'm driving along and happen to be near a geocache. I don't know of any other units that can do this.

--Marky

Stay away from TomTom. Their software and their hardware units are completely retarded with regards to POI's from their cheapest to most expensive models.

I love TomTom, and think it is one of the best Car Nav systems for geocaching. I can download geocaching POIs from GSAK directly to TomTom and even have TomTom alert me if I'm driving along and happen to be near a geocache. I don't know of any other units that can do this.

--Marky

We were using a TomTom in California and wanted to go to our nearest Performance Bike store. Sounds easy, right? Wrong! We had to wade thru menu's and couldn't select the name of a store. You had to go thru categories. It never told you how far or what direction the store was in. Useless. :(