Newest Pet Peeve

Scaber

Surprising that this isn't a bigger question:

Mostly I wonder who really put that sticker on the logsheet.

I can see the differences in the handwriting. (even if I can't always read it!)

I think this is more of an ethical thing. I guess anyone "could" carry around a handful of other GeoCachers own personal stickers and stick them into log books. Then again they could also sign logs for them as well. I for one couldn't forge another signature if I try. My own handwriting isn't that good. I understand why some people would use a sticker due to their inability to write. That's fine. However, the majority of us can and should be writing our names and not using stickers. Just my opinion.

I disagree

These labels are part of people and their personalities. I love to see them, I tear mine in half so they won't completely take over, but I believe in them and I think they are a wonderful expression of the sport. Please reconsider. :P

We must be visualizing different logs or different micros. I've seen entire logs that were smaller than half a return address label. I usually just initial them with an ultra fine point pen.

I have seen a few so small I just initial. But I don't live in the land of micros, so most are film canister size.

I think this is more of an ethical thing. I guess anyone "could" carry around a handful of other GeoCachers own personal stickers and stick them into log books. Then again they could also sign logs for them as well. I for one couldn't forge another signature if I try. My own handwriting isn't that good. I understand why some people would use a sticker due to their inability to write. That's fine. However, the majority of us can and should be writing our names and not using stickers. Just my opinion.

So I went out and found me a micro this a.m., and I thought about this some more...... and here's what I thought after awhile. Maybe the hiders tend to think it's all about them...... maybe. So, who is it all about..... hiders or finders? (and I'll bet we disagree on that one - and I bet it greatly affects what kind of cachers we are.

I disagree

These labels are part of people and their personalities. I love to see them, I tear mine in half so they won't completely take over, but I believe in them and I think they are a wonderful expression of the sport. Please reconsider. :D

We must be visualizing different logs or different micros. I've seen entire logs that were smaller than half a return address label. I usually just initial them with an ultra fine point pen.

I have seen a few so small I just initial. But I don't live in the land of micros, so most are film canister size.

Must not realize that film canisters are micros. :P

Written logs in the same hand are not evidence of cheating. On a number of occasions, I've been caching with other people and one person has scribbled the names of the group onto the log.

I understand why some people would use a sticker due to their inability to write. That's fine. However, the majority of us can and should be writing our names and not using stickers. Just my opinion.

It isn't about handwriting skills. I don't know what kind of stickers you've been seeing, but mine are more than just a name. It's art. It's a symbol. It's something like an avatar. It's so much more than just a silly name. Good grief, man, penciled scribbles are so boring! Micros already don't contain anything to earn the name "cache," so if there isn't something interesting about the way a person signs the log, then there isn't anything interesting about the contents of the cache at all.

Yup, I use them really small stickers, dam happy to too. My partners in caching do also since I talked them into it.

What we dont do is use them in nano caches, especially since I started the trend for them down here & know what a PITA they are. I've had to run to 1 specific cache with 5 days due to people scrawlin a long drawn out name just to fill up my replacement sheets which arent as long as the ones you typically get with the nanosfrom a certain geo-store.

We also dont do long drawn out responses in reg size logbks as usually we are trying to be discreet about where the cache is.

And yes, we have hidden reg sized caches too.

I'll admit I am rethinking some match container caches we placed recently but its fun watching the logs of people who cant find them & get all fussy that a couple of "novices" did find them when an "experienced" cacher couldnt.

Considering they really hadnt seen how devious I can be when I do hides, I specialized in camo when I was in the military, so I can be really really good (& playing paintball has honed my skills even more since massive player PB games are what I usually play in, 500 to 1000 or more big games).

So.. in nanos we dont use stickers & we abbriviate names as much as possible & also allow abbriviated names. In larger caches we use stickers & save our expansive reports for online logs where people can skim or skip them. Just be happy people want to find your hides.