memory for garmin

dmoes

looking at eTrex VistaHCx and it needs a micro SD card

I know that in high end cameras flash memory speed is an issue, the faster the better. is there any advantage to getting faster memory in the GPS or is the slow cheep stuff OK

is a gig enough or should I cosider 2 gig.

Today's 2gb prices are what 512mb's were a year ago. Once you dab into custom POI's, you'll be glad for the extra storage space. I downloaded all the Starbucks in the USA <_< - that's over 7k POIs <_< .

I'm using a std Lexar card and it works fine. I don't know if a speedster card will move things along any much faster; I could be wrong, but I'm not missing now.

looking at eTrex VistaHCx and it needs a micro SD card

I know that in high end cameras flash memory speed is an issue, the faster the better. is there any advantage to getting faster memory in the GPS or is the slow cheep stuff OK

is a gig enough or should I cosider 2 gig.

Go to the Garmin website and read the FAQ on memory cards. As I recall they recommend by name the Kingston and Sandisk micro SD cards. There is a model of the Sandisk that will not work in the Garmin. Don't know about size, but for $20 why not just get the 2GB?

Edited by geo climber

As far as booting the unit up and the moving map display is concerned, I do not notice any appreciable difference between 64MB and 2GB.

One possibility that comes to mind as far as memory speed is concerned: When searching for POIs, the read speed could be an important factor. With 2GB of map data, there are a lot of POI data that the unit must search through when doing a "Find Nearest Containing" search. Also, if you have a lot of custom POIs stored on the card (I have about 60,000 on mine), it takes about a minute or so for my 60Cx to sift through it all and display the results. Multiply that by the number of POIs in my desired route, and that time adds up. Perhaps a card with a faster read speed could cut the time down considerably...

I'm not sure if it's true or not. I haven't done any tests or research on my theory, but I suspect it's a logical possibility.

As far as booting the unit up and the moving map display is concerned, I do not notice any appreciable difference between 64MB and 2GB.

One possibility that comes to mind as far as memory speed is concerned: When searching for POIs, the read speed could be an important factor. With 2GB of map data, there are a lot of POI data that the unit must search through when doing a "Find Nearest Containing" search. Also, if you have a lot of custom POIs stored on the card (I have about 60,000 on mine), it takes about a minute or so for my 60Cx to sift through it all and display the results. Multiply that by the number of POIs in my desired route, and that time adds up. Perhaps a card with a faster read speed could cut the time down considerably...

I'm not sure if it's true or not. I haven't done any tests or research on my theory, but I suspect it's a logical possibility.

High speed cards are not not recommended for GPS applications. The "high speed" recommended for digital cameras relates to the write speed, critical when collecting large amounts of data associated with digital photos and video, especially for fast sequencing.

Data transfer rates when downloading maps to the GPS will be limited by the USB2 connection, not the card write speed.

In normal use of the GPS, including look up of POI data, there will be no noticeable difference in performance.

Buy the 2G card. You will never regret having more storage than you need.