I'm New, have GPS but it isn't what I need

I have two iWay 500c GPS units we used to use in our wrecker business. I don't know if they're for sale yet. One might be.. I'll re-post if it is... (It isn't good for geocaching) I've used it to basically get to a parking area close to the cache then wing it from there so this might explain why I haven't had much luck. I don't know how to use it for Lat/Lon anyway so it isn't doing me much good other than getting me anywhere I'd like to go on the road.

I would really like to purchase a handheld GPS but we've got 8 kids and we're homeschooling and in the middle of homeschool shopping so I'd need one pretty cheap. Being that I'm not skilled in this area and we're new to this it would probably have to be idiot-proof too. <grin>

We're going to incorporate geocaching into our homeschool curriculum this year! We'll be placing a lot of kid and education-oriented caches around Rock Hill and Fort Mill, SC over this school year.

Any ideas or cheap GPS units will be considered, but, I'm warning you, I've got questions and a picky husband. LOL!

Tracy

I bought the Garmin etrex for 70 get's me within 15 to 25 feet of sight. Most I can find few I couldn't just have to search around and know what to look for. The Etrex cost me $70 at walmart, but you could find something used on ebay or elsewhere. Hope this helps.

GL

I bought the Garmin etrex for 70 get's me within 15 to 25 feet of sight. Most I can find few I couldn't just have to search around and know what to look for. The Etrex cost me $70 at walmart, but you could find something used on ebay or elsewhere. Hope this helps.

GL

I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend today on sale so I'm looking forward to figuring it out and going caching tomorrow! Thanks for your reply.

Tracy

GL

I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend today on sale so I'm looking forward to figuring it out and going caching tomorrow! Thanks for your reply.

Tracy

Looking forward to some new caches around the Rockhill and Fortmill area too. I just moved down here from Maine to Lancaster SC which isn't too far for me. I have the Etrex Vista which is almost the same unit as the Legend so if you have any questions just ask away or PM me and I'll try to help in any way I can. Good luck and Happy Caching.

Edited by haffy

I'm a teacher and I use mine in my physics and math class. I also plan to use it as a tax deduction since I am. Since you are homeschooling, I imagine you could too. Do you also get to use the $250 teacher deduction? All of this could go towards the Garmin. Imagine what you could do with it. They could learn about longitude and latitude. I used it in Geometry to figure out the grade of a hill, in all of my math classes to investigate coordinates, in trig to figure distance between two cities, in physics to study satellites. The list goes on and on and of course you could spin off of these and get as complicated as you want. There, is that justification or WHAT?!?!?!

Oh, I have the Garmin Venture, purchased at Amazon for about $180.

Edited by uforgot

I bought the Garmin etrex for 70 get's me within 15 to 25 feet of sight. Most I can find few I couldn't just have to search around and know what to look for.

You wouldn't necessarily do any better with a $400 unit.

If the hider's GPS is off the "exact" coords by say 20' & yours is too then you're gonna have a pretty big circle to search anyway.

Mine usually shows to be off somewhat but like you said, it helps to know what to look for!