Topo maps with Vista HCx

I just ordered a Vista HCx, my first GPS unit. I'm planning on using it for hiking and mountaineering. As such, I would like to have a topo map as my background map. I will mainly be in California but I might venture into some surrounding states like Oregon, Washington or Nevada. What is my best option for getting a good topo on my new unit when it arrives? I'm a bit new to this as you can probably tell. I've heard about pre-loaded SD cards. Are these the best option? What about software on the computer that would let me transfer over topo maps? Thanks!

I just ordered a Vista HCx, my first GPS unit. I'm planning on using it for hiking and mountaineering. As such, I would like to have a topo map as my background map. I will mainly be in California but I might venture into some surrounding states like Oregon, Washington or Nevada. What is my best option for getting a good topo on my new unit when it arrives? I'm a bit new to this as you can probably tell. I've heard about pre-loaded SD cards. Are these the best option? What about software on the computer that would let me transfer over topo maps? Thanks!

In order to put topos on the GPS, you must use Garmin maps. Topo US 2008 is the current Topo map that covers the entire US. It is a 1:100,000 scale map. If you are only going to be in the National Parks, Garmin also makes a 1:24,000 series National Parks series. From the sound of you post, however, the Topo 2008 is what you want. You can buy them preloaded on Micro SD Cards, but it is not economical to do so. It is about $86 to buy a pre-loaded card that covers a region(5-10 states). You can get the whole USA on DVD for about that price. Also, you will have the maps on your computer for planning purposes. You will also need to get a larger micro SD card, but IIRC you can get a 2gb one for about $30.

In order to put topos on the GPS, you must use Garmin maps. Topo US 2008 is the current Topo map that covers the entire US. It is a 1:100,000 scale map. If you are only going to be in the National Parks, Garmin also makes a 1:24,000 series National Parks series. From the sound of you post, however, the Topo 2008 is what you want. You can buy them preloaded on Micro SD Cards, but it is not economical to do so. It is about $86 to buy a pre-loaded card that covers a region(5-10 states). You can get the whole USA on DVD for about that price. Also, you will have the maps on your computer for planning purposes. You will also need to get a larger micro SD card, but IIRC you can get a 2gb one for about $30.

So if were to get Topo US 2008, I can then transfer the maps over to an SD card on my Vista HCx?

So if were to get Topo US 2008, I can then transfer the maps over to an SD card on my Vista HCx?

Yes that is correct and make sure you get a minimum 2 GB card which should be more than enough.

I've heard about pre-loaded SD cards. Are these the best option? What about software on the computer that would let me transfer over topo maps? Thanks!

The pre-loaded cards are for people that do not have computers. If you have a computer get the CDs and a blank card. Simple as that. The best maps for you are the Garmin US Topo 2008 and/or US Topo 24K National parks West

Like HikerJames, I also have a Vista HCx. I'm looking for the TOPO map and found several listed on eBay for around $90.

Reading the description, it lists that it will work with lots of GPS units including Vista, Vista C, and Vista CX. No mention of Vista HCx.

Anyone know for sure if maps that work with Vista Cx will work with the Vista HCx? Maybe I need to order a program direct from Garmin.

Thanks

Edited by L45J

Like HikerJames, I also have a Vista HCx. I'm looking for the TOPO map and found several listed on eBay for around $90.

Reading the description, it lists that it will work with lots of GPS units including Vista, Vista C, and Vista CX. No mention of Vista HCx.

Anyone know for sure if maps that work with Vista Cx will work with the Vista HCx? Maybe I need to order a program direct from Garmin.

Thanks

Garmin has two versions of topo maps, the older 3.02(comes on three CD's) and the newer topo 2008(on DVD). Either verson will work, though I prefer the newer mapset.... just make sure your computer has a DVD drive, otherwise you won't be able to load the newer maps.

You don't need to order right from garmin, there are many online retailers that carry the maps.