Cache Locations on eTrex

I am new to this and I am sure there is a simple answer. I just got my first GPS, an eTrex Vista HCX and can view the caches in my area on Googleearth. I click 'Show Properties' and can see the cache details. If I click 'Download to GPS', it will download and a window comes up saying that the download was OK.

Now - I thought that I should be able to see that cache on the GPS. I only have the basemap loaded at the moment, but do not see a symbol at the cache location. Nor do I see it listed under Waypoints or Geocache list.

Am I doing something wrong?

Paul

If I clicked Send to GPS for a specific cache, the download window pops up with 'Send to GPS. We currently only support Garmin units'. I click 'Send to GPS' in that window and after confirming, the dialog box says 'searching for GPS and then a second later '( ) Geocache saved successfully'.

I thought that I would then see the cache icon on the GPS unit. Are you saying I also need to add the coordinates?

Paul

Thanks for the help. Actually it was one of your caches that I was using as a test case - close to my home in Oakland, NJ.

I think that the Cache was transferred as '001' but not the lat/long location. I see the cache as being off the north coast of Africa at N000 E000 !!

I am guessing that for the Lat/long to be transferred, a Premium membership is required otherwise I need to enter it manually?

Paul

Did you download the plugin from the Garmin site for the "Send to GPS" feature?

You can download and send the .loc files, either from each cache page, or from a "Search" page using a program like EasyGPS.

Becoming a Premium Member, for only $3.00 a month ($30.00 for a whole year) gives you access to Pocket Queries and then you can send 500 caches to your GPSr in one step. For that much data, many people end up using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). If you have a PDA, you can cache "paperless" by Exporting the cache information in the correct format for your Palm or PPC. :)

Thanks everyone. Problem solved.

I re-loaded the Garmin communicator program and that cured it. The clue was that when the download was complete the message I got was: ( ) Geocache saved successfully'. Now when it works correctly, I get: (Waypoint name and Lat/Long) Geocache saved successfully'.

Thanks again for the help and the great camaraderie in this hobby.

Paul