Pocket Query problem

geo climber

I created a Pocket Query consisting of all traditional, unfound caches within a radius of 5 miles of my home coordinates. I previewed the PQ and got 84 records, about what I would expect. I then ran the PQ and got a zip file consisting of 1228883.gpx and 1228883-wpt.gpx. The first gpx file has 19 records and the second gpx file has 1 record in it.

I previewed the PQ again after running it and still see 84 records. Can anyone tell me why I only got 20 records, and in 2 files, instead of 84 records in a single gpx file?

Thanks for any help.

First of all, the second file is for addtional waypoints for various caches. Things like parking or trailhead coordinates or stages of a multicache (mad public).

Second - just so we know, by what method did you determine that the first file has 19 records? (just so we can eliminate some possible explanations)

First of all, the second file is for addtional waypoints for various caches. Things like parking or trailhead coordinates or stages of a multicache (mad public).

Second - just so we know, by what method did you determine that the first file has 19 records? (just so we can eliminate some possible explanations)

The first indication was that only 19 records were downloaded to my GPS and PDA. I then opened the gpx file using "textedit" (on a Mac) and searched for the delimiter "<desc>", and found 19 occurrences, one for each record.

Thanks for the help with this.

Edited by geo climber

UPDATE: Minutes ago I ran the same PQ again, nothing was modified, and the gpx file contained all 84 records as it should. So I consider this to be a bug, and something to be aware of when running a Pocket Query. Might be advisable to double check that your output file contains the correct number of records before downloading it to GPS or PDA.

I can not seem to get the thing to work and there is no "Help" button on that page. It is not user friendly that is for sure. Everytime I try to run a search it comes up blank. And I still cannot run the "My Finds" quere because that box is grayed out.

I wish this feature could be revamped so it is more simple...:unsure:

I can not seem to get the thing to work and there is no "Help" button on that page. It is not user friendly that is for sure. Everytime I try to run a search it comes up blank. And I still cannot run the "My Finds" quere because that box is grayed out.

I wish this feature could be revamped so it is more simple...:unsure:

A little confusing at first.

Try this.

@geo climber -- Did you use your "Home Coordinates" as the origination point for the PQ? If so, you might get better results if you enter the coordinates, or use a nearby cache GC#. For some reason, some people have been getting inconsistent results when they use their "Home Coordinates." ;)

I wish this feature could be revamped so it is more simple...:o

Here is how I check the boxes in one section of the PQ form:

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

I do not get the "Unknown" caches in my regular PQs. Those come in a separate PQ and go into a "Puzzle" database in GSAK.

You can have 40 PQs in your list, so the great thing is that once you finally get it figured out, and get several set up with different criteria, based on "placement date" or "location," you just set a day for it to run. If it hasn't run recently, it should run quickly. ;)

@geo climber -- Did you use your "Home Coordinates" as the origination point for the PQ? If so, you might get better results if you enter the coordinates, or use a nearby cache GC#. For some reason, some people have been getting inconsistent results when they use their "Home Coordinates." :o

You can have 40 PQs in your list, so the great thing is that once you finally get it figured out, and get several set up with different criteria, based on "placement date" or "location," you just set a day for it to run. If it hasn't run recently, it should run quickly. ;)

Yes, I did use the "Home Coordinates" checkbox as the origin for my PQ. If I understand you correctly, I should enter my home coordinates as lat/long directly on the PQ Toolbox page. I will do that from now on. Thanks for the help.

I think this has happened to me as well - the .gpx file that's supposed to contain 500 waypoints per the preview, only returns 83 caches, no matter which software I use to access the file. Very frustrating - thanks for the suggestion.