Changing membername>?

jchiar

Nope. You have to create a new account and then relog the caches you found under this account with the new name.

No Exceptions????...I figure there should be some kind of exception! There is a caching family here that started just before me. I have always known them as we'll say "Team Wilson" but their menber name is "WilsonUS50" (just not to name names is all).

They have wanted to change their name for almost a year now and because I and others ALWAYS refere to them as "Team Wilson" Thats what it should be.

It still has their Last name in it and its not like they are tryin to change their identity or anything its who they are. And boy is it a hassle changing all that over...with 300+ finds, goin through and loggin em all would be such a pain!!! <_< Then logging all of your finds on the same date with "changing member name" on the log would just suck! Boy your stats would be screwed!!!...On top of it automatically making you a New member (Your actually not new)...OH then swappin your bugs and coins too!

When I started my name was 007bigd...Which just by lookin at it says Oxymornic all over it! They were able to change it to BigD with no problems.---and thanksfor that! I know its a little different, but still.

Do ya think I have a valid point at all????? :mad: ...Can there be like a vote-in or even a Geo-Jury! :mad::D:D

Nope. You have to create a new account and then relog the caches you found under this account with the new name.

No Exceptions????...I figure there should be some kind of exception! There is a caching family here that started just before me. I have always known them as we'll say "Team Wilson" but their menber name is "WilsonUS50" (just not to name names is all).

They have wanted to change their name for almost a year now and because I and others ALWAYS refere to them as "Team Wilson" Thats what it should be.

It still has their Last name in it and its not like they are tryin to change their identity or anything its who they are. And boy is it a hassle changing all that over...with 300+ finds, goin through and loggin em all would be such a pain!!! ;) Then logging all of your finds on the same date with "changing member name" on the log would just suck! Boy your stats would be screwed!!!...On top of it automatically making you a New member (Your actually not new)...OH then swappin your bugs and coins too!

When I started my name was 007bigd...Which just by lookin at it says Oxymornic all over it! They were able to change it to BigD with no problems.---and thanksfor that! I know its a little different, but still.

Do ya think I have a valid point at all????? :D ...Can there be like a vote-in or even a Geo-Jury! ;);):mad:

Actually they used to allow it and even had some web tools to accomplish it. However, about a year ago, it was announced that some new functionality to the site required them to remove that option. Sorry - I have a borrowed graphic here that hilights vital information that many missed when signing up.....

fe6393b6-62df-4127-bc6c-19825fe6e11e.jpg

Thanks for that. That definatley puts it in writing for sure.

Just wasnt sure if it was a Database thing or a rule that Groundspeak opted to adopt. Sounds like they are S.O.L. on this one...But just figured that there should be exceptions to the rule in this case and im sure others.

I wonder if there is anyway for them to accomplish this feature without "rewriting the book" I am sure that there are a few that would appreciate this...Especially if there was somethin like the copyright law...you know~ That 75% original thing.

Anyhow I figured I would try...They are now logging all there finds as "User name" and dating the log to the date they visited...OVER 300 finds to change!!! Let alone they are now new cachers again!!! :mad:

Thanks for the help, I just wish there was somethin we could do for instances like this.----Dave

Thanks for that. That definatley puts it in writing for sure.

Just wasnt sure if it was a Database thing or a rule that Groundspeak opted to adopt. Sounds like they are S.O.L. on this one...But just figured that there should be exceptions to the rule in this case and im sure others.

I wonder if there is anyway for them to accomplish this feature without "rewriting the book" I am sure that there are a few that would appreciate this...Especially if there was somethin like the copyright law...you know~ That 75% original thing.

Anyhow I figured I would try...They are now logging all there finds as "User name" and dating the log to the date they visited...OVER 300 finds to change!!! Let alone they are now new cachers again!!! :mad:

Thanks for the help, I just wish there was somethin we could do for instances like this.----Dave

exactly my feelings. Seems like a simple thing to have fixed or allowed.

How can I change my user name?

You can't.

You used to be able to, but this announcement explained that you can't anymore due to software issues. If you WANT to change your name early on in the game, you can open a new account, relog everything and delete the old logs, and transfer ownership of caches using the adoption page. If you need to transfer your premium membership, send an e-mail to contact@geocaching.com. But according to that announcement, name changes will no longer be able to be done. So - choose wisely.

Source: Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions

How can I change my user name?

You can't.

You used to be able to, but this announcement explained that you can't anymore due to software issues. If you WANT to change your name early on in the game, you can open a new account, relog everything and delete the old logs, and transfer ownership of caches using the adoption page. If you need to transfer your premium membership, send an e-mail to contact@geocaching.com. But according to that announcement, name changes will no longer be able to be done. So - choose wisely.

Source: Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions

Too bad they made that change just before I wanted to change my userid. Never had the notice when I signed up and watched a couple of friends change theirs when a couple of months later I found out that the option was no longer available... : (

Thanks again...I got it

But sometimes software can be rewriten too. Im no pro by all means, just figuring there may be a way to swap a file over or change a name...just doesnt seem like a hard task is all. :o

The problem here is that opposite happened. You used to be able to change your name. But TPTB wanted to add some new feature and found a Commercial Off-The-Shelf product that provided that feature. The problem was that this product didn't allow for users to change their username. So TPTB convinced themselves that noboby really needed to change user names for Geocaching anyways and removed the capability in order to integrated with this new feature.

The problem is I don't really know what this new feature is. Some people think it is the new portal/forum software that so far is only being used by Waymarking. It's possible that the new feature uses the user name to index into a database and doesn't allow this index to change. If so, they could've just added new permanent name to the Geocaching.com database and when accessing the new feature do a lookup of the permanent name based on the user guid or member id that already exists. But instead of developing the glue code to do this mapping, TBTP choose the "easy" way and now are paying for it by having to deal with requests asking to change user names. It may still be possible for them to add a display name that can be changed and use this display name in logs and forum post while keeping a permanent username to use for logging in to GC.com and other Groundspeak sites (and indexing into the new feature).

Thanks again...I got it

But sometimes software can be rewriten too. Im no pro by all means, just figuring there may be a way to swap a file over or change a name...just doesnt seem like a hard task is all. :)

The problem here is that opposite happened. You used to be able to change your name. But TPTB wanted to add some new feature and found a Commercial Off-The-Shelf product that provided that feature. The problem was that this product didn't allow for users to change their username. So TPTB convinced themselves that noboby really needed to change user names for Geocaching anyways and removed the capability in order to integrated with this new feature.

So they were cheap-Eh?? :lol: ...JK But really though, I wish they would have convinced themselves to keep lookin for a system that would incorporate this feature...Ill bet now they do too!

The problem is I don't really know what this new feature is. Some people think it is the new portal/forum software that so far is only being used by Waymarking. It's possible that the new feature uses the user name to index into a database and doesn't allow this index to change. If so, they could've just added new permanent name to the Geocaching.com database and when accessing the new feature do a lookup of the permanent name based on the user guid or member id that already exists. But instead of developing the glue code to do this mapping, TBTP choose the "easy" way and now are paying for it by having to deal with requests asking to change user names. It may still be possible for them to add a display name that can be changed and use this display name in logs and forum post while keeping a permanent username to use for logging in to GC.com and other Groundspeak sites (and indexing into the new feature).

So it may be possible?...You should help em out! :) Sounds like they need some help, sure wish I could relate to the way these systems work. It just seems to easy a task is all and sure would save a lot of headache of them continually denying name changes and less headache for those swapping over too.

Sure glad I had my name before I started. Thanks for your input here, maybe it will help shed some light on the problem that will probably never go away untill it gets changed back, whether through a little tweakin with the mapping or new software or something that allows access through a different username, while using the same account...Who knows...But ill bet its a big problem for them anyway you cut it without that feature!

Dave

Well if i can change my display name, PLEASE let me know!

You may want to do it now, while you havent got a whole slew of caches to log. The only problem is that it will make you a new member, other than that Id say do it and start from scratch while its still an easy task for ya to do the swapping.

You could have a new account and all your caches swapped over within 30 minutes...Just predate them, you could even cut and paste the logs.

But you cant swap those Coin and Bug moves you have. Id say if the name you want is worth becoming a new member...Get it while the gettins good, and you dont have abunch of caches and hides to swap. It would be mostly a pain for people that have many finds, hides, all them trackables, (whether owned, moved or discovered) and their reputation in the area...and boy would it screw up their stats page a bit!

Edited by 007BigD

... But you cant swap those Coin and Bug moves you have.

You can't change your name. You can, however, adopt the coins and bugs over to your new account.

If I were you, I would make my new account now and start transferring those logs over. Don't wait until you have 300 caches to decide you really can't live with that name another minute.

Use copy and paste to move the logs over, change the date back to the original date you logged the cache, maybe add a quick note to the cache owner that you are changing names at the bottom of the log so they don't have to wonder what's up with the 'old' log date--and you'll be set.

Just remember to choose the name wisely, because you'll be stuck with it. :anitongue: (Folks used to change their names so often it made my head spin. When they announced that wouldn't be possible, I sat for a long time wondering if I really liked my name. I'm not crazy about it, frankly, but I couldn't think of anything clever or more appropriate, so I just left it).

Edited by Neos2

It's true that there is a unique number. "the pooks" is associated with 1109591. I'm 5518. That's why UP UNTIL MAY 22 2006, you could.

But this announcement makes it clear:

We're working on customizing an application for use with Geocaching.com that will require us to lock down the ability to change your username. As a result on May 15th we will be locking down the username change feature on the web site.

The technical issue relates to a fundimental part of their application that stores usernames in the database outside of the account data. This means that if we did make username changes in our account database it would require a tremendous effort to automatically update the other system with the username change.

We on the outside haven't seen the "application for use with Geocaching.com" - so we don't know how it works, or why there has to be a lockdown. But to lock it down probably took some effort to do. That's a change in coding.

Somehow, I don't think the change to lock down the names was capricious.

I think we just have to accept that there are things we don't know and reasons that we can't see yet, and move on with our lives.

It's true that there is a unique number. "the pooks" is associated with 1109591. I'm 5518. That's why UP UNTIL MAY 22 2006, you could.

But this announcement makes it clear:

We're working on customizing an application for use with Geocaching.com that will require us to lock down the ability to change your username. As a result on May 15th we will be locking down the username change feature on the web site.

The technical issue relates to a fundimental part of their application that stores usernames in the database outside of the account data. This means that if we did make username changes in our account database it would require a tremendous effort to automatically update the other system with the username change.

We on the outside haven't seen the "application for use with Geocaching.com" - so we don't know how it works, or why there has to be a lockdown. But to lock it down probably took some effort to do. That's a change in coding.

But it probably took less effort than it would have to integrate with the new feature the correct way - which would have been to make the username permanent but add a display name field that could be changed. And then use the display name to in logs and elsewhere. The user would have to use the permanent name to log in to Geocaching.com but everyone else would only see the display name which could still be changed.

No, just lazy and not well thought out.

I think we just have to accept that there are things we don't know and reasons that we can't see yet, and move on with our lives.

Since the new "feature" hasn't been well advertised we as end-users can't tell if was worth giving up a feature that was widely used. And in any case one that probably didn't have to be removed had Groundspeak spent a little more effort in integrating it. I still believe it may not be too late to fix it.

No, just lazy and not well thought out.

I tend to agree.

The technical issue relates to a fundamental part of their application that stores usernames in the database outside of the account data. This means that if we did make username changes in our account database it would require a tremendous effort to automatically update the other system with the username change.

Funny. These very forums store the usernames in a database outside the account data. Which is why we have to click the "Forums" link on the main site to transfer any changes to the forums database. Seems to me they could have created a similar function for the new feature.

Thanks again...I got it

But sometimes software can be rewriten too. Im no pro by all means, just figuring there may be a way to swap a file over or change a name...just doesnt seem like a hard task is all. :o

I like your thinking. I am an engineer(software/systems). I can understand the issue here. But I also believe it can be changed or provide an alternate solutions. Nothing is impossible it may be difficult ot have a big cost/schedule. But lets see if we can make a change.

I started a few months ago with a name I signed up with my son. Now more of the famility is invloved and we want to change to family name, altho my son likes his name. So we might have a team name + his name. Which will probably double my workload ...

You may want to do it now, while you havent got a whole slew of caches to log. The only problem is that it will make you a new member, other than that Id say do it and start from scratch while its still an easy task for ya to do the swapping.

You could have a new account and all your caches swapped over within 30 minutes...Just predate them, you could even cut and paste the logs.

But you cant swap those Coin and Bug moves you have. Id say if the name you want is worth becoming a new member...Get it while the gettins good, and you dont have abunch of caches and hides to swap. It would be mostly a pain for people that have many finds, hides, all them trackables, (whether owned, moved or discovered) and their reputation in the area...and boy would it screw up their stats page a bit!

See my other posts. Can I just add a new name, then copy all my prevous posts. I dont want to delete since my son wants his name (and we signed him up as premium, which probably statys with that name)

My name will just be basic member until I decide we need 2 premiums..

Tony

See my other posts. Can I just add a new name, then copy all my prevous posts. I dont want to delete since my son wants his name (and we signed him up as premium, which probably statys with that name)

My name will just be basic member until I decide we need 2 premiums..

Tony

Yes, you can just create a new account and post a log to each of your previous cache finds/DNFs to catch your new account up. If it were me, I would add a line saying "found with so-and-so and now I'm logging this under my own account" so the cache owner understands why these old finds are suddenly popping up.