Garmin Rino Freezing up

I have the Rino 520 and my brother has the 530. We have both had the sreen or whole unit just freeze up. You can not scroll through anything. No matter what you do it will not work. When it does it you can not even shut it down. I have to disconnect the battery to shut down. I have an older 120 that has done it a couple times lately and it has never given me any problems. We have not downloaded and updates recently. Also my 520 has been upto 1/4 mile off on the coordinates while looking for a cache. My 120 was the one that found it. The 520 and 530 came with the up to date version. There is a beta version out but I have not installed it. Has anyone else had these problems.

Yes mine does it all the time. Always when working with radio off, and nearing a waypoint. I usually have to re-calibrate the compass when this happens. try holding in the power button for a long time, mine will usually turn off without removing the battery this way. I am getting VERY frustrated with this!

Have either of you (redklr, Reb8600) contacted Garmin Support to identify the problem? If not, please do...it would be nice to know if they are aware of it and are working on a fix/patch.

Bill

I havent yet. I wanted to see if there was anyone else having the problem before I called. I am sure they will tell me they havent heard of it. I just got this one from them about a month ago. I took it and an extra lithium battery in trade for the 530 I was having problems with. After waiting 5 weeks and being told 3 times that it had shipped to me, I finally got told they didnt have any 530's and didnt know when they would get some. Havent been to happy with their customer service so far.

Yes I have. I was having other issues and they replaced the unit for me. Both units lock up the same way. I need to contact Garmin and complain agin. I was hoping for a software rev. They have a beta version out for a few months but I have not upgraded yet. I am waiing on the full release.

Hmm, here's something along the same lines.

Finally received my rino 530 hcx. While attempting to "pan" the map, the cursor would not move from my current location / selected waypoint. Also...I noticed the unit would not power off. Almost as if the power button wasn't working. When I finally got it to shut down, it wouldn't come back on. I tried searching frantically for ways to get the gps back on. I was able to push the page, talk, and power key at the same time and it came on. Not sure if that was just a fluke or what. But anyhow, it's on now, and it won't power off again, lol nor do I wan't it to power off if I can't get it back on :cool:

Anyone else experience this?

I've yet to do any software upgrades.....not sure if there any for the new 530hcx units or not. The "updates" tab on the garmin site says no, but perhaps they have a general "blanket" patch that works.

Any info is appreciated!

-Jeff