Manage Waypoints on eTrex Vista?

Help! Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, but I looked and couldn't find it.

I'm trying to figure out how to manage the waypoints on my eTrex Vista. I'm full up w/1000. I don't really mind getting rid of all of them and starting from scratch (I just load sets in from gsak each time I go somewhere new), but I'm wondering if there's another way to do it.

If I'm full, is it just a first in first out type thing? Will I still be able to load more, but they'll write over the oldest waypoints? Other than deleting all of the waypoints, can I somehow manage them?

I have MapSource, but it doesn't seem to be able to manage the waypoints that are on the GPSr itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nate

If you don't have the Mapsource maps (Topo or "Roads and Recreation"), I don't know how you can save the waypoints you have on your GPSr. Since I have the maps, I download them, and my tracks, after each "Geocaching adventure" to the Mapsource map and then save that file with the date and location.

When you send the Waypoints to your GPSr, do they have the Treasure Chest icon? I hope so. That way you can "Delete by Symbol" and before loading the GPSr, Delete the Geocaches and Found Geocaches, leaving any of the waypoints that have a different icon like for a trailhead or Home or the final of a Multi you didn't get to finish.

Sorry! I may have been confusing in my original post. I'm actually worried about going the other way. My GPSr itself is full and I'm wondering how I can manage the waypoints that are actually on it. Is there any way to manage the waypoints on the GPSr itself w/out deleting all of them? I know I can copy them all to mapsource, but then all i have is all of them in mapsource - there are still 1000 waypoints on the GPSr...

Unless you get another GPS which has the capability of storing more waypoints on a separate sd micro card I think you are out of luck. The newer GPS's that have that ability, you would be able to convert waypoints into POI's and then you would only be limited to the cards storage capacity.

Why would you need to keep all 1000 waypoints on your GPSr?

If many of those are Geocaches, some may have been Disabled or Archived since you loaded them. It is best to get rid of all the Geocache waypoints and load new ones from fresh data.

The newer GPSrs have the ability to store thousands of waypoits as POIs, but if those are Geocaches, they will still have to be refreshed with new data if you don't want to be looking for a cache that isn't there anymore. I've learned that through experience . . . :D

Your GPS probably came with MapSource software. You should use it, rather than 3rd party software, for offloading waypoints. Otherwise, you're likely to lose some of the attributes of the waypoints. For example, if you've set proximity alarms, software like EasyGPS won't retain that data.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Transfer all the waypoint from GPS to Mapsource. Edit the waypoints in Mapsource deleting what you don't want or whatever. Then delete all 1000 waypoints in the Vista. Tansfer the waypoints from Mapsource to Vista.

Edited by Alan2