Please explain the "tenth of a mile between caches" rule

I'm looking for a little bit of clarification related to the rule that caches must be placed at least 1/10 of a mile from each other as it relates to multi-caches.

Does this rule only apply to the final cache location? The reason I ask is because about a week ago, I was out caching and I came across a couple of multis, both of which had starting points within 100 feet of each other. Not only that, within another 100 feet was an ACTUAL cache. I thought this was a little odd.

Someone please explain.

Thanks

I'm looking for a little bit of clarification related to the rule that caches must be placed at least 1/10 of a mile from each other as it relates to multi-caches.

Does this rule only apply to the final cache location? The reason I ask is because about a week ago, I was out caching and I came across a couple of multis, both of which had starting points within 100 feet of each other. Not only that, within another 100 feet was an ACTUAL cache. I thought this was a little odd.

Someone please explain.

Thanks

Were some/all of these caches really old (ie before additional waypoints were used)?

Did they both have phyisical containers at their start points? Maybe a 'virtual' start at a plague or staute was allowed?

Someone please explain.

Thanks

Stages of a multi, including the final stage, can be close together. They aren't constrained to be 528 feet apart. However, each stage of a multi, including the final stage, must be at least 528 feet from any OTHER cache.

First of all, it's a "guideline" not a "rule."

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as “stages of a multicache.” The guideline does NOT apply to event caches, earthcaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multicaches or puzzle caches entered as “question to answer” or “reference point,” or to any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

Link

In an individual multi-cache - you do not have to have every stage .1 mile from every other stage

If you have a cache that is near a multi-cache (or any of its stages) - you should keep it at least .1 mile away.

It sounds like the other cache that was 100 feet away must have slipped in. This could be due to an oversight by the reviewer, or the cache owner moving the cache, or--on older multis--it was placed prior to the ability to add additional waypoints to the multi cache.

OK, Just to add a little bit of clarification to the issue:

The first of the 3 caches is named Super Sized -- GCQGNC. This is a traditional, nano cache, placed September 10, 2005.

The next cache in the vicinity was placed on July 3, 2006 and is 218 feet from cache #1. This is the first point of the multi, and you basically have to get some numbers off of a post at a memorial and using some other resources, come up with the final coords. I didn't have everything I needed that night to solve the final coords, so I haven't been to the final spot, but it appears that the next point is far enough away to be within the guidelines.

The 3rd cache was placed May 27, 2007, and is between cache #1 and cache #2. It is 52 feet from the first cache and 167 from the 2nd cache. Again, this is one where you have to use info at a memorial plaque to solve the final coords. I haven't been to the second leg of this one either as it was in the opposited direction of where I was going the night I hit the first point.

You can go to the first cache I listed and then click on the nearby caches link on that page to see the other 2 caches in question. If you enter the coords for all 3 into google earth, you will see just how close they are. One is in the "island" where those 3 bike paths converge, one is slightly west, and the other slightly east.

You can stack virtual stages one on top of another. So a multi cache that starts with a "get numbers from this plaque" can be near another physical cache, or any number of other virtual (no container) caches or stages of multi caches. This is a change since February 2007.

Your example is a physical cache and a couple of offset multis starting with plaques and "use this formula". They're within the guidelines. A cacher could even use the same plaques, and hence the same start coords for some other off-set multi. It's only PHYSICAL stages that count.

Also as someone has already mentioned, older caches may not have any coordinate data attached, so the reviewer flat out doesn't know where the stages are - and stages can move.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
OK, Just to add a little bit of clarification to the issue: <snip>

The guidelines were changed in February to allow these types of caches to be listed. You can read them at http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#sat

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as “stages of a multicache.” The guideline does NOT apply to event caches, earthcaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multicaches or puzzle caches entered as “question to answer” or “reference point,” or to any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

Emphasis added, though I still check the stages of other nearby caches if they get flagged--not everyone has their stages set as anything other than "stage of a multicache", even if they are reference points/virtual stages.

Hope the actual text, along with what everyone else said, helps some.

:D