n00b ?'s in this thread.

Alright. I think I got all the basics. whistle, compass, jerky, etc, etc. Any suggestions for hiking shirts and/or pants (or anything else)? For reference, I live in AZ. So nothing for cold weather. Just a typical, "sweating alot day hike in warm climates shirt and/or pants" thats what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm going with jeans and a cotton tee. is that bad? if so, then suggest something better.

I have previously heard that "cotton kills"

Alright. I think I got all the basics. whistle, compass, jerky, etc, etc. Any suggestions for hiking shirts and/or pants (or anything else)? For reference, I live in AZ. So nothing for cold weather. Just a typical, "sweating alot day hike in warm climates shirt and/or pants" thats what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm going with jeans and a cotton tee. is that bad? if so, then suggest something better. I have previously heard that "cotton kills"

G'day

Welcome to hiking. I not familiar with walking in AZ but I am familiar with hot weather walking here in Western Australia and the first thing I wouldn't do is walk in jeans. Jeans are hot, they don't breathe, and if they get wet, they are slow to dry and they keep you cold. All up they are not good for walking.

You are much better with a decent pair of walking shorts (they will be a nylon blend) or if you prefer pants, long pants in similiar material. Maybe a comprise is zip-off pants where you can zip off the lower part of the pants if you find them too hot. I suggest you take a look at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cl...20and%20Shorts/ for some ideas.

In terms of tee-shirt, if you are hiking in warm weather and shorter distances I wouldn't get too hung up about it in the short term but again would look for a better quality synthetic short preferably with sleeves and the same qualities as the pants. Breathable, quick drying, light etc.

Can you some idea of the lengths of the hikes you are considering? Likely temperatures?

Regards

Andrew

I've done hiking in the the McDowells, Oak Creek Canyon, the Superstitions and down in Chiracahua. I used to use the standard t-shirt and shorts, but I've recently changed over to light (color and weight) synthetic shirt and pants. Plus, I use a good Tilley bush hat. Keeping the sun off is a priority with me, since I burn easily.

Cotton kills mainly in colder climates (think northern AZ in the winter), because it holds moisture on the body, which promotes hypothermia. But IMHO, synthetics work better in hot weather, too. I use long-sleeve shirt and convertible pants (zip-off legs) even in hot weather, to keep the sun off. The synthetic wicks moisture away from the skin, so I actually feel cooler than in the old t-shirt and shorts, which basically got wet and stuck to my skin.

I use light-duty wool socks and either boots or sandals (for a wet hike). The wool socks work well, even in heat, and eliminate the problem of blistering.

Edited by imajeep
Alright. I think I got all the basics. whistle, compass, jerky, etc, etc. Any suggestions for hiking shirts and/or pants (or anything else)? For reference, I live in AZ. So nothing for cold weather. Just a typical, "sweating alot day hike in warm climates shirt and/or pants" thats what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm going with jeans and a cotton tee. is that bad? if so, then suggest something better. I have previously heard that "cotton kills"

G'day

Welcome to hiking. I not familiar with walking in AZ but I am familiar with hot weather walking here in Western Australia and the first thing I wouldn't do is walk in jeans. Jeans are hot, they don't breathe, and if they get wet, they are slow to dry and they keep you cold. All up they are not good for walking.

You are much better with a decent pair of walking shorts (they will be a nylon blend) or if you prefer pants, long pants in similiar material. Maybe a comprise is zip-off pants where you can zip off the lower part of the pants if you find them too hot. I suggest you take a look at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cl...20and%20Shorts/ for some ideas.

In terms of tee-shirt, if you are hiking in warm weather and shorter distances I wouldn't get too hung up about it in the short term but again would look for a better quality synthetic short preferably with sleeves and the same qualities as the pants. Breathable, quick drying, light etc.

Can you some idea of the lengths of the hikes you are considering? Likely temperatures?

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to Texas to hike in two weeks. It'll prolly be 90's and I plan on hiking most of the day. Hopefully around 10 miles

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to Texas to hike in two weeks. It'll prolly be 90's and I plan on hiking most of the day. Hopefully around 10 miles

Okay converting that to English :laughing: , 32 C + and 16 km. Nice days walking. That relates to our spring/early summer walking.

My advice and this is what I would do is: (1) I would NOT walk in jeans. You will just sweat and getting stinking hot and possibly worst; (2) walk in good nylon walking shorts and preferably a good walking shirt. I would only go with the t-shirt if I had no other better option.

As already mentioned I would also wear a wide brimmed hat (makes heaps of difference), put on lots of sunscream and carry plenty of water. At a minimum 2 litres but I would probably go with 3 litres (68 fl oz to 100 fl oz and make sure you drink it all. We work on having 1/2 litre left when we finish the walk of this lenght.

Have a great hike.

Regards

Andrew

Agreed, jeans or anything cotton isn't the best choice. Nylon hiking shorts, or lightweight nylon hiking pants and synthetic underwear and T-shirt are the way to go in the summer. Some names to look for are polypropylene (a.ka. Olefin), Cool-max, Thermax and Under Armor.

Cotton generally won't kill you in the summer in most cases (if the temps dip below 60 and you get wet all bets are off), but the new synthetics are so much more comfortable.

In the spring, winter and fall (and in the mountains in the summer) cotton can kill you and should be avoided.

Edited by briansnat

For warm weather I prefer the Columbia Omni Dry Venture convertible pants. These pants zip off into shorts and wick moisture away, thus keeping you dry and comfortable. You can always do a google search to find out who has the best deals. For shirts you can go with the Columbia Omni Dry Highland Crew T's. These are made of the same material as the Venture convertible pants and both give you 50 UPF sun protection. They say that the average cotton T only gives you 5 UPF protection, besides it is better to go synthetic. The North Face company also makes convertible pants and T's, but I like the fit of the Columbia's better and they are priced better. I did find a deal the other day on some Russel Athletic Dri Fit T's that were marked down to $5, and I really like these T's at that bargain price, so I scored 5 T's. :D For socks, you gotta go with Smartwool! I prefer the medium crew hikers. They are spendy, but your feet will love them and you will say to yourself, why didn't I buy these sooner. For headgear in hot and sunny weather I like the Columbia Bora Bora Boonie hat. It is 30 UPF rated and synthetic material. My wife calls this hat the birth control hat, because she says that any women that sees me wearing it, will look the other way. :D

I wear all of this gear for the most part of the year and not just on the hot days, so you will get use out of it if you decide to hit the cooler weather. But it really works for me when hiking the Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota.

I will recommend what I wore today here in SoCalif (80s to 90s near the coast)

Nylon convertible hiking pants. A cotton fishing shirt, short sleeve, big vent in back, 4 pockets in front.

Synthetic hiking socks, desert gaiters. Hat with big brim, vented mesh top. Pants and shirt are very light color.

I also have light color bandannas that I clip to the hat brim to keep sun off neck and side of face.

We are like a desert here. Low humidity, only 3 inches of rain in year ended yesterday.

Edited by EScout