firearms

jfabes

I know alot of you are weight concious when going on long hikes but I am just curious if you carry when on day hikes or backpacking in the backcountry? If so, how and where do you carry? Also what make/model firearm do you carry along with what type of ammo do you carry? Do you only carry a full mag or do you bring along an extra mag with extra ammo?

I always carry whether on just a day hike or a multi-day trip. I have a simple pancake holster on right hip at about 2-3. I usually carry a springfield XD40 with fmj 180gr rnds, no SD rnds out in the wild because if I have to shoot something I definitely want the rnds to penetrate. Day hikes I only carry a full 10rnd mag, multi day trips I take 2 10rnd mags.

Edited by jfabes

I know alot of you are weight concious when going on long hikes but I am just curious if you carry when on day hikes or backpacking in the backcountry? If so, how and where do you carry? Also what make/model firearm do you carry along with what type of ammo do you carry? Do you only carry a full mag or do you bring along an extra mag with extra ammo?

I always carry whether on just a day hike or a multi-day trip. I have a simple pancake holster on right hip at about 2-3. I usually carry a springfield XD40 with fmj 180gr rnds, no SD rnds out in the wild because if I have to shoot something I definitely want the rnds to penetrate. Day hikes I only carry a full 10rnd mag, multi day trips I take 2 10rnd mags.

:rolleyes:

No. Having iron on my hip 8 hours a day is enough. I cache and hike to get away from guns and stuff.

But, since you asked, "Say hello to my little friend!"

280103.jpg

Department issued Sig Sauer P2340, 12 in the mag 1 in the chamber w/2 extra mags on the duty belt, all loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT rounds:

image004.jpg

Carried in a black leather basketweave Safariland Level III retention holster on most days and on other days a canted paddle holster.

Edited by hikergps

If I carry when I am hiking it is generally a Kel-Tec P-32. I know that it is small and underpowered, but it is very lightwieght and it fits perfectly in a little pouch on the belt of my pack. Although, I am a strong believer in a citizen's right to carry, I generally carry concealed on the trail so as not to alarm other hikers, and this one is the easiest to deal with if you are out there all day. Of course, if there is a known risk in the area that calls for something bigger, then that is what I pack.

It is funny, but even though I carry (legally) most of the time, it still kind of surprises me when I see a non-LEO carrying open on the trail.

I like to carry my Ruger single six.It's a single action revolver with a .22mag cylinder and a .22LR cylinder.I carry that in a leather belt holster I got off a sale rack.Good for small gamin'.Also,sometimes I like my Sig 229 in .40S&W,but I don't have a holster for it yet.

If I'm in the woods/on the trail,I see no need to be concealed.Hell,on normal woods jaunts I take my open sighted Marlin 39A lever gun,or my Marlin model 60 semi-auto.I LOVE .22's.A walk/hike/jaunt in the woods for me is incomplete without one.

oops, not sure how I posted a new one trying to edit the one already here...

2nd edit: ok, what gives? I can edit this post, but not my previous post? Anyhow, I don't carry my issued gear caching. The way it's worded it sounds like a take a small aresnal with me. Actually what I listed are work related toys. I also have the X-26 taser on the other hip. Fun ride! If you ever have the opportunity to get tased VOLUNTARILY you should try it! Yee-Haw! Longest 5 seconds of your life.

Edited by hikergps

oops, not sure how I posted a new one trying to edit the one already here...

2nd edit: ok, what gives? I can edit this post, but not my previous post? Anyhow, I don't carry my issued gear caching. The way it's worded it sounds like a take a small aresnal with me. Actually what I listed are work related toys. I also have the X-26 taser on the other hip. Fun ride! If you ever have the opportunity to get tased VOLUNTARILY you should try it! Yee-Haw! Longest 5 seconds of your life.

Your previous post went beyond 1220 minutes of original posting.

Edited by TotemLake

Crim,that's a good pic.Did you actually time the photo or take video and freeze frame it there?

I recently sprung for a Canon A710IS, and I shot it in the rapid fire mode. It took a few tries.

EDIT: The pics are here:

Nice Buckmark.I want the rifle version myself.And that Ruger Alaskan is cool too.

I'm gonna see about doin' an event like that at home.That be be awesome.Great pics.

Crim,that's a good pic.Did you actually time the photo or take video and freeze frame it there?

I recently sprung for a Canon A710IS, and I shot it in the rapid fire mode. It took a few tries.

EDIT: The pics are here:

Nice Buckmark.I want the rifle version myself.And that Ruger Alaskan is cool too.

I'm gonna see about doin' an event like that at home.That be be awesome.Great pics.

The Buckmark belongs to TroubleChild, it was a Christmas gift last year. It's hella fun to shoot though, and the red-dot makes it more so.

I'm still learning the camera and PaintShop Pro Photo XI. The camera has a myriad of settings that I only partially understand, as does the software. We'll just have to shoot the guns a lot more so I can learn. :unsure:

He was getting a 'kick' out of the .44 though...

85767052-0f3a-4696-a5da-e7e32d609302.jpg

Edited by Criminal

Driver Carries Cache has been on a few of my early backpacking jaunts and can attest that I carried way too much weight at least once (the time when half my pack weight was in ammo :unsure: ) but after that time, I learned to carry a bit lighter. The last time I went on any significant multi-day hiking trip, I open carried a 6" GP100 stoked with the original Black Talon 357 magnum ammo. That was oh.. 15 years ago. If I were to go today, I'd likely bring a 4" 686 using handloaded ammo loaded on the hot side and I'd probably still open carry since that's legal on most blm and national forest land these days. If I were going via vehicle, I'd probably toss a few more into the vehicle of various types to do some shooting while in the hills. It really depends on where, how remote, and how long I'll be gone.