Geocoin questions

JimJenkins

I have a few questions about geocoins.

I see that there is a big community for trading geocoins.

How do people usually acquire these coins? Most of the caches that I've seen have certain goals for the coins to keep moving.

If there is no goal for a particular coin, what is the proper process for that coin? Is this how most people acquire their coins?

I was also thinking about getting a coin to 'drop & grab' at the various caches that I visit. When people have personal coins that they want to 'drop & grab', is the coin to be logged back into a 'home' cache after each visit to actually track the mileage?

Thanks,

How do people usually acquire these coins? Most of the caches that I've seen have certain goals for the coins to keep moving.

They buy them or trade for them.

If there is no goal for a particular coin, what is the proper process for that coin? Is this how most people acquire their coins?

Not sure what you mean by no goal. If the coin is unactivated, it is cache swag and should be traded for fairly. Most geocoins cost between $7 and $10 each.

Well, most of us buy them. LOL But some we set loose to travel in caches, while others we keep in our personal collections for others to enjoy at events.

When you find one in a cache, its the property of the person who owns the coin, and its goal is ALWAYS to keep moving.

The only coins that can be 'kept' out of caches, are those you pick up that are not activated, or ones that are untrackable, left as swag.

In the geocoin group, a BIG HUGE no-no is keeping a coin out of a cache that wants to travel - even if it has NO particular goal, it should be assumed that the coin wants to travel. (And NOT be kept!)

If you want a coin (or coins) of your own, check out http://www.cachebug.blogspot.com/ for current, and upcoming coins, and who to buy them from!

I was also thinking about getting a coin to 'drop & grab' at the various caches that I visit. When people have personal coins that they want to 'drop & grab', is the coin to be logged back into a 'home' cache after each visit to actually track the mileage?

Thanks,

Quite a few people do that. Some of them use a cache that was never listed as their home cache and do what you are thinking about. Others use a nearby cache that's 'close enough' to home to do the job.

Well, most of us buy them. LOL But some we set loose to travel in caches, while others we keep in our personal collections for others to enjoy at events.

When you find one in a cache, its the property of the person who owns the coin, and its goal is ALWAYS to keep moving.

The only coins that can be 'kept' out of caches, are those you pick up that are not activated, or ones that are untrackable, left as swag.

In the geocoin group, a BIG HUGE no-no is keeping a coin out of a cache that wants to travel - even if it has NO particular goal, it should be assumed that the coin wants to travel. (And NOT be kept!)

If you want a coin (or coins) of your own, check out http://www.cachebug.blogspot.com/ for current, and upcoming coins, and who to buy them from!

Thanks for the info

If there is no goal, then I assume that dropping it into any cache would be sufficient.

Also, is there any way to track what coins are destined for a certain location.

Since we are planning a road trip, if there are any that have a goal to a location along our way, I'd like to take them along.

Also, is there any way to track what coins are destined for a certain location.

Since we are planning a road trip, if there are any that have a goal to a location along our way, I'd like to take them along.

No. Each individual coin is given a mission by it's owner when released. It is not possible to use that as a search criterium. You can search for travel bugs hiding in caches in an area of your choosing but you have to be Premium Member to use the Pocket Query function.

i have a few geocoin questions and this looked like a good spot for them. First, my son and I are new to the adventure and just absolutely are in it 110%. We have a few finds already. But very much on the newbie side of the learning curve.

I would like to have a coin made. something related to what I do.

1.What do you think a good price for having a coin made is??

2.which company is one of the better companies to go to for the coin ?

Or better yet, which few companies are better than others to have the coin made?

3. Is it better to have a travel bug made instead? From what I have read, they appear to do the same thing? or don't i understand it correctly

for the time being, if i was to place an item in a local cache and then mention in the log that it was placed there with the intention of moving is that ok? My son would like to see how far the items go. I'm not sure how long it takes for the coin/travel bug to be made and would like to see something started.

thanks for the suggestions and thanks for the input

See you out there..

Fyrdadandson

Since June '07

(yes, very new to the adventure)

Travel bugs and coins are very different, though travel bugs and trackable coins both have similar tracking numbers that allow them to be tracked on the geocaching.com website. You can place them into caches, and they will be moved along and logged along the way.

Travel bugs can be purchased one at a time, or you can purchase more than one. Travel bugs look like metal dog tags, and each has a unique tracking number. The tag can be attached to any item that you like, and you can give the travel bug a goal or purpose if you choose. Travel bugs are inexpensive, and they also come with a copy tag with the same tracking number that you can use if the first tag goes missing.

Travel Bugs

Coins can be purchased through a number of different vendors (see the pinned topics at the top of the coin page for sales) and usually cost between $7-$10 per coin. If you want to make your own custom coin, there is usually a minimum order of 100 coins, and it can cost a few hundred to a few thousand dollars depending on how many coins you mint and what options you add to the coins.

1.What do you think a good price for having a coin made is??

2.which company is one of the better companies to go to for the coin ?

Or better yet, which few companies are better than others to have the coin made?

These questions show up in this forum quite frequently and the moderators always refer up to the pinned threads at the top of the forum.

All of the companies listed there have been used by geocachers to have their coins made. Depending on what, if any special attributes you are looking for, there are companies that cater to those specific desires.

My first suggestion would be to go through the list of coins already made (best place for that is here.) Also, the companies listed in the pinned topics will probably have a page showing off some of their favorite coins they've produced.

Find a coin with a finish or effect that you are looking for to make your coin out of and find out which company made it. Most companies have the ability to make coins look just the way you want, but if they have a history of making a signature finish or style that you like, going with them would be your best bet.

Unfortunately these types threads can turn into advertisements for specific companies, and that is forbidden by the forum rules. When this happens, the thread is locked and lost with time as more threads are added. Then later the question comes up again and the cycle repeats.

I hope this helps.