Palm IIIxe Question for paperless caching

Ok so heres the question. I recently purcahsed a palm IIIxe off ebay to use for paperless caching. I have read several articles and think i pretty much have the process under control. The problem that I am having is I cannot get the palm pilot to link up with the computer. I am trying to use a patch cable to turn the serial connection into USB and I think the problem might the fact that it is not compatible. Any help would be appreciated. I am so ready to be paperless.

You have the process backward. The adapter turns a USB port into a serial port. It's serial all the way, NOT USB. You have to load the drivers into the PC, and then use Device Manager to see which COM port is being created. COM5 is common. You then have to tell the Palm Hotsync Manager which COM port to use. IT IS NOT, AND NEVER WILL BE, USB.

You have the process backward. The adapter turns a USB port into a serial port. It's serial all the way, NOT USB. You have to load the drivers into the PC, and then use Device Manager to see which COM port is being created. COM5 is common. You then have to tell the Palm Hotsync Manager which COM port to use. IT IS NOT, AND NEVER WILL BE, USB.

Yeah. What NightPilot said. :rolleyes:

Ok so heres the question. I recently purcahsed a palm IIIxe off ebay to use for paperless caching. I have read several articles and think i pretty much have the process under control. The problem that I am having is I cannot get the palm pilot to link up with the computer. I am trying to use a patch cable to turn the serial connection into USB and I think the problem might the fact that it is not compatible. Any help would be appreciated. I am so ready to be paperless.

You will need a serial driver for the Palm. Serial to USB Driver

ok guys I am still lost as can be. I know I am making this whole thing more complicated than it should be but here is what is going. I currently use the adapter cable for a garmin forerunner 201 and it works fine. Do i need a seperate driver for the palm pilot? It appears to be set up correctly as far as the ports go Device manager says COM3 and Hot Sync manager says the same thing. I have tried playing with it all afternoon and am heading out for a bit but any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

SIGNED

paperless cacher wannabe

So exactly what is the problem? Does it hotsync? If not, what error message, if any, do you get? What are you using to try to transfer the caches to the Palm? You haven't provided much information, and it's simply not possible to give meaningful help without knowing a lot more.

So exactly what is the problem? Does it hotsync? If not, what error message, if any, do you get? What are you using to try to transfer the caches to the Palm? You haven't provided much information, and it's simply not possible to give meaningful help without knowing a lot more.

Ok here is what is going on. I am currently at work and don't have all the information but I think I can answer most of it. The palm does not hotsync, when I push the button on the cradle it sits there for about a minute and the shows an error message stating that the palm was unable to connect the the pc(I think). I am trying to use a combination of GSAK and cachemate to transfer the data however, I have not been able to get the cachemate program on the palm due to the hotsync issue. I read somewhere that the newest version of the palm desktop would not work with windows xp and older PDA's but I cannont find anywhere to download a older program. The primary purpose for the PDA is going to be caching so I don't need all the bells and whistles. I just cant find the software. Sorry for the delay in replying. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok here is what is going on. I am currently at work and don't have all the information but I think I can answer most of it. The palm does not hotsync, when I push the button on the cradle it sits there for about a minute and the shows an error message stating that the palm was unable to connect the the pc(I think). I am trying to use a combination of GSAK and cachemate to transfer the data however, I have not been able to get the cachemate program on the palm due to the hotsync issue. I read somewhere that the newest version of the palm desktop would not work with windows xp and older PDA's but I cannont find anywhere to download a older program. The primary purpose for the PDA is going to be caching so I don't need all the bells and whistles. I just cant find the software. Sorry for the delay in replying. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

tried to redownload the palm desktop from the link provided and it does the same thing. The exact error message is as follows The Error box title says HotSync Problem. within the box it says The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again. I tried contacting palm about the issue but they didn't want to even talk to me until I paid them the $25 service charge. I hope someone can help me figure it on here so I don't have to resort to that. All the help thus far has been greatly appreciated.

Well it looks to me if you are using a Serial to USB adapter you Do need the drivers to get it to sync with Windows XP. Is your cable a after market or a Palm cable? I have a original Palm Serial to USB adapter cable with the CD-ROM with the drivers needed. I think you can also download the drivers from the Palm website given above. Just have to look around for them. So give that a try, and see if that works.

Edited by Scott-N8ZUS

ok guys after about 2 hrs of pulling my hair out. installing/deleting/reinstalling and a little bit more of both of those for both palm desktop and drivers. I finally got it to HotSync and got cachemate loaded onto it. Turns out the hotsync icon down on the toolbar was set to usb and I started playing around with it and got it to switch over to serial. worked like a champ. Bad news now is I have to head to the dentist so I won't have a chance to try it out before I go to work today. Thank You to everyone for the help. For any new guys reading this trying to figure out paperless caching stick with it you will figure it out eventually. Once agian I would like to sincerely thank everyone for all the help that they provided for me.

Happy Soon to be Paperless cacher