Marking a geocache as found on a eXplorist 210

to mark it as found press your goto button and scroll down to where it says mark geocache as found. It will ask you to clear your goto and you can say yes. if you goto your map setup where you can change how you view your screen there is another tab that has a check box that will allow you to remove the found caches from your map display.

Maybe delete it?

Is it normal to mark caches as found on a GPSr? Ours just holds waypoints and it has no idea that the waypoint is a geocache. (MeriGold)

Nope can't delete them. That was one of the first things I tried.

If you cannot delete the cache/waypoint, then you are talking about a geocache (.gs) file, not a POI/waypoint file. Sounds like your firmware does not have this feature. Do a search in these forums, and the Yahoo Explorist Group regarding firmware updates for the 210.

You will find a list of them that you can download here: Index of Firmware

What you are looking for in your research is the update for XL and 210 of April. Decide if this is for you and follow the instructions.

You will need a firmware update to your 210. If you google "explorist 210 firmware" you will be shown a firmware update offered to European users. The link is to Magellan's overseas site. You can download the update and install with out registering. I updated my sons 210 with this update about a month ago as well as my 400. No problems with update. You must back up all of your data to you harddrive. The firmware flash will clean out all of your memory. follow all directions and it will work like a champ. You will have the "Mark Cache as Found" on you menue. as well as a mess of new screens to use, and as we have found 10 to 12 feet better accuracy. Takes less time to boot up as it seems to find the GPSat's a little faster. I am not sure as to why this update is not offered to the North American users, but it works on my 400 as well as my sons 210. I ask why to Magellan about this firmware update, as well as to why there were no Vista drivers yet, and I have not recieved a response from them yet, and it has been over 3 weeks.

I do have the firmware update saved on a Flash Drive. It cam be zipped and e-mailed.

"old" devildog

Maybe delete it?

Is it normal to mark caches as found on a GPSr? Ours just holds waypoints and it has no idea that the waypoint is a geocache. (MeriGold)

Must be a Magellan vs Garmin issue. On my Garmin I just highlight the Found button and hit Enter. It marks the cache as found and then if I Search for Waypoints it will show up a with an open treasure chest icon but if I Search for Geocaches I don't see it anymore. I only see closed treasure chest icons. Marking it Found also makes an entry on the Calendar page so there is a record there of all caches found on that date. I had always figured Magellan would have some similar feature but I guess I was wrong.

Maybe delete it?

you can mark geocaches as found on the explorist models. Its been 2 years since I used my gold for caching, but you might be able to move the found geocache to another file, if not then the only way would be to delete the geocache which is what I did with mine

You can get the european firmware update here. If you are laoding your caches with GSAK or maggie's geocache manager as a .gs file, you should be able to mark them as found.

just in case, my 'normal' hunt procedure is:

'goto' next closest cache (autoroute)

'goto' switch to point-to-point

find the cache

'goto' mark cache as found.

the maggie then creates a new file for your found caches, i.e. Home.fnd, and puts a check mark symbol over the cache

and repeat, 'goto' next closest cache.

As opposed to loading individual POI's like I do on my meriplat, the eXplorist loads the .gs file, and you can't delete individual caches. If one is really bothering me, I just mark it as found.

HTH

Maybe delete it?

Nope can't delete them. That was one of the first things I tried.

If you cannot delete the cache/waypoint, then you are talking about a geocache (.gs) file, not a POI/waypoint file. Sounds like your firmware does not have this feature. Do a search in these forums, and the Yahoo Explorist Group regarding firmware updates for the 210.

You will find a list of them that you can download here: Index of Firmware

What you are looking for in your research is the update for XL and 210 of April. Decide if this is for you and follow the instructions.

I have a 210 and tried the above method of upgrading the firmware. I first uploaded the same version of firmware that was already on my unit just to make sure this method would work, it worked fine. I then tried the update for "XL and 210." This began the same way as the first time, the gps said updating, but then the screen went black, I was praying that it was just installing the update and I let it sit for several hours. The screen was still black so I hit some buttons which did nothing, so I took out the batteries and let it sit overnight. But when I put the batteries back in the screen immediately goes black.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?? I've read that I can build a serial cable that may work to fix it but I'd prefer an easier method.

Thanks for your help.

I then tried the update for "XL and 210."

Umm. Problem.

I think you wanted the 2.57 firmware upgrade for the Explorist 210. I believe you went to the rhamphorhinkx firmware library and downloaded the ex_xl_210_usb.rar file...that's the version 2.10 firmware upgrade for the Explorist XL. Escout was referring to firmware upgrades in April for the XL and the 210--two separate files for two different Explorist models. Jhwk had the link you wanted in his post.

If you've installed the firmware for the wrong model on your GPS, you'll probably have to send your unit into Magellan for them to reflash it internally. You can try some of the service function menu items here to see if you can get your GPS to respond.

Unfortunate firmware number, that XL 2.10...I can see why you made the error.

I then tried the update for "XL and 210."

Umm. Problem.

I think you wanted the 2.57 firmware upgrade for the Explorist 210. I believe you went to the rhamphorhinkx firmware library and downloaded the ex_xl_210_usb.rar file...that's the version 2.10 firmware upgrade for the Explorist XL. Escout was referring to firmware upgrades in April for the XL and the 210--two separate files for two different Explorist models. Jhwk had the link you wanted in his post.

If you've installed the firmware for the wrong model on your GPS, you'll probably have to send your unit into Magellan for them to reflash it internally. You can try some of the service function menu items here to see if you can get your GPS to respond.

Unfortunate firmware number, that XL 2.10...I can see why you made the error.

Nuts! I see my mistake, thanks for pointing that out and for your help, I tried going to that like that Jhwk referred to first and Magellan's website made me create an account and put my serial number in, then it told me that my model wasn't eligible because it wasn't the Europeon model.

I'll try the service function items.

Thanks again.

I did this firmware update last week. Its great, lots of new features. One word of caution though, if you use the european update from the magellan site, back up your NA basemap first. I did not and had lots of good maps for Europe and nothing for NA. Luckily the link posted by NitroxDM had the NA maps. You may have to set your windows folders options to show hidden files and not to hide protected OS files. I simply used Windows Explorer to delete the euro maps and copy the NA maps.

Ferg