Trade item guidance

SidAndBob

Having just returned from a maintenance trip to find yet another of my caches has been reduced to "trading rubbish" (a peg, a certificate (didn't get this at all), 22pence, a single battery (probably flat), a used birthday cake candle) I feel that some guidance on trades would be useful.

Several items have gone missing due to being traded with trackables. Other trades have been made with junk that nobody will every want. I'm sure owners may want the option to include this guidance within the listing, or not. I was thinking of something along the lines of

Guidance on trading items

When trading items please ensure you trade up or trade even and make sure you leave items that the next finder may also want to trade. Do not take trade items of more value than the trade items you leave.

Trackables (geocoins and travel bugs) are not tradeable items. Feel free take or leave them without making a trade.

I know I could create my own footer (which I will do for now), but I think it would be good if this message was standard as so many cachers don't seem to understand the basic trading rules.

The alternative is that I stop providing trade items I suppose. If you don't have this problem in the US I would love to know your secret.

What do you think?

It's a problem everywhere, and there is nothing that can be done about it. Yes, adding the below picture to your cache page might make you feel better, but it's not going to stop everyone from leaving pointless items.

f0126d27-4d73-49ac-9e90-109f7547d06f.jpg

Whose image is that? I saw that on a listing and emailed the owner to see if i could use that image too. I never got a reply. :blink:

You cant control much. People are going to do what they do when unmonitored. We started a cache asking people to record what they take/leave so we could try to track the items. It failed so far.

It's a problem everywhere, and there is nothing that can be done about it. Yes, adding the below picture to your cache page might make you feel better, but it's not going to stop everyone from leaving pointless items.

Nice image. I'd like to use that if it's OK.

I do think that especially the trackable trading thing is through lack of understanding. I know when I started out I had to delve deep to discover that trackables aren't trade items. There was a thread in the UK forums recently where it became apparent that some experienced cachers were not aware of the protocol.

Nice image. I'd like to use that if it's OK.

I do think that especially the trackable trading thing is through lack of understanding. I know when I started out I had to delve deep to discover that trackables aren't trade items. There was a thread in the UK forums recently where it became apparent that some experienced cachers were not aware of the protocol.

I would like to use it also, If or hoping for when we get the OK :blink: I would print that image right onto the log in my cache I'm working on. Might help to have it printed on, in or on the log of the cache :)