GPS party for kids 11-12

0-man

I am trying to organize a GPS party for my son's 11th birthday. Last year we did orienteering with maps & compass at a nearby park. Parks & Recreation, in cooperation with a local O club sold the maps cheap, & the compasses were party favors, about $8 for a basic Silva.

I was hoping to be able to rent GPS units from REI, but they don't. I also need to find an area with a few caches. I do not have one, and have never done this. It seems simple enough, but I would appreciate any tips.

Rob in Seattle

You may want to ask in the regional section of the forums if there are any people in the area who would be willing to help out.

As for good parks in Seattle to do something like this, I'd recommend Carkeek Park or Discovery Park. Both have several caches and are good parks for events with kids. :(

I would suggest hiding new caches, and not putting them on the site. You can print out something that looks like the cache info page, and not have to worry about kids messing with someone else's cache. Sounds like it will be a fun party! Good luck!

I second that. Definitely hide new caches. And make sure the kids follow the rules of caching. (About taking something and leaving something.) Otherwise, they may just think that they can go and get a bunch of free stuff.

I am trying to organize a GPS party for my son's 11th birthday. Last year we did orienteering with maps & compass at a nearby park. Parks & Recreation, in cooperation with a local O club sold the maps cheap, & the compasses were party favors, about $8 for a basic Silva.

I was hoping to be able to rent GPS units from REI, but they don't. I also need to find an area with a few caches. I do not have one, and have never done this. It seems simple enough, but I would appreciate any tips.

Rob in Seattle

Check with your school, county extension office and county conservation office. You might also check with Parks and Rec Departments. I know here that the extension office has 9 GPS units (or so) that they loan out to people for things like this. I'm not certain if you have to be a resident of the county or teacher or any specifics. But I believe it's free.

Good luck!! Cool idea! ;)

This is kinda how I was introduced to geocaching. My wife signed my daughter up for a girl scout try-it badge on geocaching. When we go there they explained how the sport originated and what it was all about. They talked about the different types of caches and the types of things you could find in them. They also explained the etiquette and when we went out to find the caches hidden specifically for them they were given a little bag of swag so when they found the cache everyone had things to choose from to trade. Once the event was done they were able to pick an item out of the bag to keep as a souvenir of the day.

Good luck.