waypoints 6 space versus 7 or more

i geocache only. for years i have been totally happy with my WAAS enabled Garmin Etrex, sensitive, easy to use, large display, etc. a year ago, waypoints went from 6 spaces (GCxxxx) to 7 spaces (GCxxxxx) and of course, now i am losing caches when i download using easygps. the garmin legend, though i bought one because i was told it had 7 space display, doesn't, also has too small display, an odd "nearest" display, and slow speed.

so, now what do i buy? don't want maps, don't want color, just want my old Etrex but with a 7 space display of waypoints. help....

a

the garmin legend, though i bought one because i was told it had 7 space display
I don't want to talk you out of getting a new toy... but: the Garmin Legend has 10 character waypoint names.

Having said that: the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx is many a power-cacher's choice GPSr. I upgraded to that from an eTrex Legend and have never regretted it. I do still like my Legend a lot.

If you use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), you can make the waypoints have only six characters again. The waypoint can even be useful, giving you part of the cache name, the Type of cache, the Size of the Container, and the Difficulty and Terrain.

If you want to upgrade, you can't go wrong with the Garmin Venture Cx.

If you use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), you can make the waypoints have only six characters again.

That's my whole point. i need to 7 space display or i only get one waypoint. in other words. the 7 space may have gc1111a, 1111b, 1111c, etc. i lose all but one of the series when i download....

a

Since you are a Premium Member, you can get your information in the form of Pocket Queries. If you use GSAK to handle that information, you can designate the waypoint name to only have six characters, if that is what you require.

GSAK will drop the GC in front of the waypoint name for you, or give you something more useful than the remainder of the GC waypoint.

the garmin legend, though i bought one because i was told it had 7 space display
I don't want to talk you out of getting a new toy... but: the Garmin Legend has 10 character waypoint names.

Having said that: the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx is many a power-cacher's choice GPSr. I upgraded to that from an eTrex Legend and have never regretted it. I do still like my Legend a lot.

the Legend i bought displays waypoints, and apparently accepts downloads, in 6 spaces only. I bought it over the phone from the garmin store in chicago. i can download via easygps or manually only 6 spaces. if there is a way to change the displayed waypoints to 7 spaces, i can't find it. so i lose all but one waypoint of any new series in 7 digits/spaces. solution???

acwentz

Since you are a Premium Member, you can get your information in the form of Pocket Queries. If you use GSAK to handle that information, you can designate the waypoint name to only have six characters, if that is what you require.

GSAK will drop the GC in front of the waypoint name for you, or give you something more useful than the remainder of the GC waypoint.

i want/need the 7 spaces as all the new caches have 7 digit waypoint names. taking off the last space loses for me all the caches in the series except one. in other words, if the series is GC1111a, 1111b, 1111c, 1111X, 1111Y. and i can only get 6 spaces, i lose the rest of the series. i was in small town wyoming the other day, it has 10 or so new caches, all 7 spaces, and in 3 series. i could only see 3 caches; the other 7 were lost, do you understand. my solution was to manually enter the "lost" caches from the paperwork

and call them 001, 002, 003, etc. and then i could see them....

a

If you use GSAK, a Smart Name code like this would work:

%drop2 %typ1

That gives you the last four, or five numbers and letters of the GC waypoint, and tells you the Type of Cache.

For my Garmin Vista C, I use this code:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

That gives me a very useful waypoint name telling me part of the actual name of the cache, the Size of the container, the Type of the cache, and the Difficulty and Terrain, based on a 10-point scale (1=1, 1.5=2, 2=3, etc.)

I can send 450 caches from my filtered GSAK database to my GPSr in just a few seconds. I can't imagine editing the cache names by hand . . . ;)

You can also use GPXSpinner or GPSBabel to remove the GC at the front of the waypoint name. Then you will have all the unique characters in the GPS.

Thank you, i think you have solved the problem. i'll know when i get home and have more options with the computer that interfaces with the gpsr.

a

If you use GSAK, a Smart Name code like this would work:

%drop2 %typ1

That gives you the last four, or five numbers and letters of the GC waypoint, and tells you the Type of Cache.

For my Garmin Vista C, I use this code:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

That gives me a very useful waypoint name telling me part of the actual name of the cache, the Size of the container, the Type of the cache, and the Difficulty and Terrain, based on a 10-point scale (1=1, 1.5=2, 2=3, etc.)

I can send 450 caches from my filtered GSAK database to my GPSr in just a few seconds. I can't imagine editing the cache names by hand . . . :blink:

i need a bit more help. i have downloaded GSAK, have learned about smart names and smart tags, understand the %drop 2, and unfortunately don't know where to add that code in order to drop the first two, or GC spaces. can you help me? if you prefer, i am acwentz@vail.net

thx

Anne