Premium Membership GPX Files versus LOC/Garmin 60CSx

Mtn Summit

Hi Everyone, I am a newb getting more addicted to this stuff. I have a Garmin 60CSx, which I love so far. I had a regular membership for a couple of months, and just signed up for the Premium Membership on a monthly basis to see what else it can provide to me (besides helping the cause).

A couple of questions if you can bear with me.

I have been downloading the LOC file(s) to my computer, then open up the MapSource software that came with the Garmin. I open up a single LOC file, then upload it to my Garmin. Is there a way to upload more than one LOC file at a time from the MapSource software to the Garmin?

Now that I have a premium membership, I have read the GPX files are better. My Mapsource software can read these, so I just downloaded a GPX file from the site, opened it with Mapsource, then uploaded it to my Garmin. The only difference I can tell between the GPX file and the LOC file is the GPX file description (in the Mapsource Software) contains the cache rating (size/difficulty). Am I missing something here? Further, that slight extra information is not showing in the "Notes" section of the Garmin, as the unit has chopped off the full description that was in the gpx file.

I do notice it seems that when downloading the GPX file from the site, the default name to save to the computer is the waypoint name, versus the LOC download, that takes the generic name "geocache" each time. That is a nice small benefit.

Can someone help me see what I am missing as the benefit of the GPX over the LOC?

I will leave the whole pocket query question for another time!

Can I download multiple GPX files tagged, at one time, or do they have to be downloaded and saved one at a time. I thought you could download multiple files, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do.

OK - I will stop. Thanks for any help!

John :)

Edited by Mtn Summit
I will leave the whole pocket query question for another time!

You really can't leave this for another time. It's a pocket query that will get you a bunch of .gpx files that you can load into the Garmin all at once. Pocket queries are the single greatest benefit of Premium Membership.

I leave the questions on the Garmin software to someone else, as I don't use it. I run everything through GSAK instead.

Pocket Queries are the only way to go. :)

You create Pocket Queries based on whatever location and criteria you desire. Then, there is a variety of software to choose from, but I finally figured out GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), even though I had never worked with a database program before. <_<

Pocket Queries and GSAK are all you need. That program will Export to the Mapsource format so you can see exactly where on the map the caches you filtered are.

Then, if you happen to already have a PDA, GSAK can Export in the correct format so you start out caching paperless. I have a Palm M500 with Cachemate installed. That is a great combination. In 30 seconds, you can have all the info for 500 caches on your PDA, instead of spending all that time printing cache pages.

Welcome to the addiction!! :laughing:

So if I understand this right, the pocket quierie big advantage is the ability to search in a much more defined way? I think I am confused on the GPX issue though as well.

My Garmin Mapsource software that came with the 60CSx can open GPX files and export into my 60CSx. And, that location will show up on the software. So as it stands now, without pocket quiery's, I need to load one at a time the gpx files into the Mapsource software, then upload in to the Garmin?

It sounds like without a program like GSAK, I cannot load multiple GPX files at one time into the Mapsource software/into the Garmin?

Will the GSAK software load more info from the GPX file into the Garmin? As it stands now i see very little diff when I upload a GPX file versus a LOC file from the Mapsource into the Garmin. Maybe I am doing something :laughing:

Also, I unfortunately do not have a PDA/Palm, so I think that means I will still need to print on paper the cache page with info?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to figure all this out and make the most efficient use of the 60CSx, The Premium membership, etc.. :laughing:

Using GSAK and the "Smart Name" feature, you can have a useful name on that GSPr that tells you part of the cache name, the Size of the container and Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual). It will also give you the Difficulty and Terrain.

In the Note field you can include the Hint, or other information, but only up to a small number of characters.

Using Garmin's POI loader, you can load 1000's of caches as POIs into that unit and have lots of information for each one. (Search the Forum for "Silly POI tricks)."

You can use GSAK for free for 21 days. In that time, you'll see how invaluable it is. Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might be helpful. :laughing:

Edited by Miragee

So if I understand this right, the pocket quierie big advantage is the ability to search in a much more defined way? I think I am confused on the GPX issue though as well.

Correct.

My Garmin Mapsource software that came with the 60CSx can open GPX files and export into my 60CSx. And, that location will show up on the software. So as it stands now, without pocket quiery's, I need to load one at a time the gpx files into the Mapsource software, then upload in to the Garmin?

If you specifially want the .gpx format this is correct. If for whatever reason your satisfied with the .loc format, you can get 20 at a time from any 'search results' page (see image).

downloadloc.jpg

It sounds like without a program like GSAK, I cannot load multiple GPX files at one time into the Mapsource software/into the Garmin?

This is partly correct. You will only be able to load them one at a time into Mapsource, but there may be a way to combine the single files within Mapsource so you can get all of the waypoints grouped into one file before you actually sent to the gps. I rarely use Mapsource, so I'm not sure of the best way to do this with Mapsource alone. *edited to add - You may find this thread helpful in that regard.

Will the GSAK software load more info from the GPX file into the Garmin? As it stands now i see very little diff when I upload a GPX file versus a LOC file from the Mapsource into the Garmin. Maybe I am doing something <_<

Yes. As already commented, it can take various pieces of info about the cache and add it into the name or comments for that waypoint.

Also, I unfortunately do not have a PDA/Palm, so I think that means I will still need to print on paper the cache page with info?

True, but older pda's are available on ebay for just a couple of dollars. A very minimal pda can hold hundreds of cache pages.

Just to clarify:

LOC=Cache name and coords

GPX=All info from the cache page (except the map), including the last five logs made online

In addition to the extra info that actually gets to your gps, .gpx files make it very nice to review caches you're interested in offline, so if the site is down or you're somewhere with a laptop and no internet connection, you can still have access to the info.

Edited by gnbrotz

Thanks for all the great tips and replies. I wish I could figure how to quote some stuff.

Regarding the cheap used PDA's on EBAY, if I pick one up, does it need any specail software in order to hold the GPX info? Anything I should stay away from if I try to pick up a used model (avoid brandxxx, etc)?

Since you rarely use Mapsource, can I get away just using the GSAK software? To be honest I was not too impressed with Mapsource Waypoint Manager that came with the 60CSx.

Thanks again.

John

There is software available other than GSAK for downloading gpx files to your GPS. I use EasyGps. This is a free piece of software that has a link from Groundspeak. This software is not fancy like GSAK and does not have any filtering abilities, but it is easy to use.

GPS Sonar is a program that you can load onto a PDA to read the GPX files. I use an older program called GPX View. This program is compatable with the older operating system on my Pocket PC.

You really need to look at Pocket Queries, but this allows you to create a file of up to 500 caches, and it allows you to do some filtering at the same time. If you only like full size caches, or do not like multi's, or puzzle caches these are only some of the the things you can filter with your PQ. Once you have used these abilities you will not know how you got along without them.

If you have purchased City Navigator for your GPS you will also find that you can use the find feature/geocache, and it will auto route you to the closest road to the cache you are hunting for. This is a real time saver.

Thanks for all the great tips and replies. I wish I could figure how to quote some stuff.

Regarding the cheap used PDA's on EBAY, if I pick one up, does it need any specail software in order to hold the GPX info? Anything I should stay away from if I try to pick up a used model (avoid brandxxx, etc)?

Since you rarely use Mapsource, can I get away just using the GSAK software? To be honest I was not too impressed with Mapsource Waypoint Manager that came with the 60CSx.

Thanks again.

John

Yes you will need the program called Cachemate on your PDA. You can download all the info from GSAK directly into Cachemate on the PDA. Any of the Palms and even PPC's can now use Cachemate. You can find Cachemate here http://www.smittyware.com/intro/cachemate/