More High res maps for Garmin

I am trying to make my own maps for my GPSMap 60CSx using this website, http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/Creating...hMapSetTool.pdf, and http://seamless.usgs.gov seems to be out to lunch, to put it mildly. Are there any other sources of data that I can use to make my own hi res maps?

I bet you are using Internet Explorer 7. It does not work with it. It will set there for hours and do nothing but tie up your computer. They used to have a low bandwith site that worked but they shut it down. Now the only way to get it is an earlier version of Internet Explorer or you have to install Firefox web browser. I have complained to them and they want to add features instead of making it work with IE7. I would complain to them. But it works fine with Firefox

I tried with IE7 and you are right, it did absolutely nothing. I then tried IE6 and Firefox. With those I was at least able to download a file but the .tif file needed was missing.

This is the first time ever trying this so I know I have a lot to learn, I just can't wait to see what it looks like on my Garmin :o .

I tried with IE7 and you are right, it did absolutely nothing. I then tried IE6 and Firefox. With those I was at least able to download a file but the .tif file needed was missing.

This is the first time ever trying this so I know I have a lot to learn, I just can't wait to see what it looks like on my Garmin :o .

You didn't change the output file to geotiff before downloading.

I got it to work with Firefox in the last few days, since my last post I have made 3 maps. I think I am addicted :D My next question is, is there any way to transpose the maps I create over Topo-West for example, like it does on the GPSr?

Exocet, thanks for the link but I am surprised that there is nothing for Idaho yet. That may be something I can fix.

Edited by geohunter12

I don't understand what you mean by

... is there any way to transpose the maps I create over Topo-West for example like it does on the GPSr?

I am working on the Sawtooth NRA, full of hiking trails and steep terrain. I am doing this with tiles because the whole area on one file is much too large to process. Currently it is difficult to tell what areas I am actually covering because in Mapsource when I am looking at the maps I created, all I see are the elevation lines. If there is a way I can view the Topo map as well, as a refference, it would be a lot easier for me to tell what areas I still need to add to get the coverage I want.

Hope this is a little more clear about what I am looking for and I apologise for the confusion.

Or use some decent GIS software to view your whole project with multiple layers. :)

Any recomendations

overpriced: ArcGIS

Reasonable price: Manifold

Free: Quantum GIS

I have used the top two. I recommend Manifold for three reasons: price, how-to is excellent & image server ability.

I have yet to try out QGIS, but I know some people that use it. Make sure to install the GRASS plugins.

I used to live in Idaho. Great times in those mountains out there.

Good luck and ask more if you need it.

I typically don't use Mapsource to visualize my maps during the phase where I am assembling them. I use the method described here: http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm and I find that when I look at level 0 or 1 with MapEdit, then I can generally see where I am. I do use chunks large enough to have the various software packages run all night and have results back for me in the morning. So my chunks may well be much larger than yours and more recognizable.

I also always load water data into my maps; the lakes, rivers and streams pretty much provide excellent references to where things are (they stay in place longer than roads do).