geoweddings?

Friends who are getting married and love geocaching hope to post their wedding as an event. The idea seems to be having trouble getting approved due to the large amount of non-cachers expected to attend...therefore making it an "un-event". I know I have read of other geocaching couples celebrating their vows as a geo-event, although I can only find one right now. Is this really against geocaching policy? (Not the wedding, the event!) It seems to me that EVERY event I have ever attended has had a large percentage of non-cachers attending, so why would a wedding be any different?

All thoughts, info, opinions and advice greatly appreciated...references would be great, too!

~gg

Friends who are getting married and love geocaching hope to post their wedding as an event. The idea seems to be having trouble getting approved due to the large amount of non-cachers expected to attend...therefore making it an "un-event". I know I have read of other geocaching couples celebrating their vows as a geo-event, although I can only find one right now. Is this really against geocaching policy? (Not the wedding, the event!) It seems to me that EVERY event I have ever attended has had a large percentage of non-cachers attending, so why would a wedding be any different?

All thoughts, info, opinions and advice greatly appreciated...references would be great, too!

~gg

Why the heck would anyone except geocachers and those interested in learning about geocaching attend a geocaching event? Apparently geocaching events in your corner of the world are much different than any of those I've attended.

That said, I seem to recall this event. Note that the wedding, when all of the non-cachers would be attending, was not the focus of the actual event. Note too that there are no doubt better examples of how to hold an event and a wedding on the same day, but this one seems to come readily to my mind when the subject comes up.

The purpose of a geo event should be to talk about Geocaching. They will have to work that into the ceremony somehow...... :)

Actually, the guidelines were changed quite some time ago on that. Events don't have to be about geocaching. However, they DO still have to be primarly FOR geocachers.

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

As many know, my wife and I met at a geocaching event, and our wedding was listed as a geocaching event as well. (GCM0H0)

In our case the organizers were geocachers. The majority of attendees were in fact geocachers (including most family and friends.)

The minister was a geocacher (and yes, he incorporated caching into the ceremony in many places).

The photographer was a cacher.

The wedding cake was made by a cacher.

The transportation was provided by a cacher.

Party favors provided by a cacher.

Catering gear provided by cachers.

The ring bearer presented the rings in an ammo can.

You get the point.

Still we needed to get special permission from Groundspeak before it was listed.

I think our wedding was probably different then most wedding in that for us, our wedding was basically a caching event where 2 people happened to get married. I think the same is true for Yumitori's wedding, and the others I know that have been listed as events. Without geocachers the wedding would not have even happened. Most weddings are more along the lines of "hey, we're having a wedding; if cachers want to show up too that would be ok". The wedding is happening at that time and place even if it's not listed on GC.com.

If it's an open bar I'll attend, even though I do not know anyone there.

This question seems backwards. An event is for all geocachers who can visit it.

A wedding is for friends and family. Perhaps a few friends are geocachers but there is no way that a geocache approver will publish an event that only 2 people can attend.

Maybe I was too specific. :)

In our area, we have familes in which: The mother and kids cache, the father doesn't enjoy it but goes along on the trips to be with his family. The parents are geocachers but the kids could care less. Vice Versa (The kids love caching and the parents aren't into it but are spending time with the kids). Geocachers who have friends who love to hike, mountain bike or birdwatch, but think geocaching is silly. They all attend events because they are fun, and some geocachers will bring friends to events who aren't interested in caching but are friends with the people involved...so why shouldn't they come? An even broader stretch: My last event was at a major eating eating establishment. Kick everyone else in the restaurant out because they are not geocachers? I don't think the owners would appreciate that! :D

The purpose of a geo event should be to talk about Geocaching. They will have to work that into the ceremony somehow...... :ph34r:

Oh, believe me, that won't be an issue. :) There's even talk of getting a geo-priest!