Archived caches: who does it and why?

I am somewhat puzzled about how a cache is archived. It sounds like many individuals archived their own, because they want to place a new one near by or they don't have the time to maintain it. But I have noticed that sometimes someone else archives a particular cache, because the owner is not maintaining it. Is there a hard an fast rule about how long a cache can not be maintained before it is archived? I bring this up because their was a cache in DeMotte, Indiana that was only down for less than few months and someone other than the owner archived it. Today I was going to visit a cache in Illinois but I noticed all the logs from April 14, 2006 up to January 30, 2007 are stating that they could not find it or that they think it got washed away. I wanted to try the hunt but I was pressed for time and figured the odds were against me so I skipped it. But why has this cache not been archived? Do the guidelines differ by locality?

That "someone else" who archives a cache is the volunteer cache reviewer for the area. From time to time, some reviewers will make a sweep through their territory and will leave a reminder note on or archive the caches that have been disabled for too long. Other reviewers use different methods to enforce the cache maintenance guideline.

Normally most reviewers only check disabled caches on a regular basis, plus those on which a "needs archived" is logged, on a prompt basis. So maybe the cache you saw in Illinois is not disabled? We don't go through every cache one by one, looking for problems.

Basically, the "temporarily disabled" option is available to allow the owner "a few weeks" in order to find time to get out to fix up their cache that needs maintenance. More time is allowed for special situations, like park closures, construction projects, winter inaccessibility, etc.

Edited by Keystone
all the logs from April 14, 2006 up to January 30, 2007 are stating that they could not find it or that they think it got washed away. I wanted to try the hunt but I was pressed for time and figured the odds were against me so I skipped it. But why has this cache not been archived?

You asked if you should email the owner. They receive all those logs as email, so if they're paying any attention, they already know. They should likely have disabled that cache and checked it as time permits. If they've abandoned the game, as happens, eventually someone will log a "Needs Archived".

That log will go to the local reviewer who will take a look at the cache. What happens next is variable, depending on how likely it seems that the cache is truly gone, whether the cache owner has visited the site recently, cache owner's other hides and activity. At the least, the reviewer is likely to temporarily disable the hide. Once disabled, if nothing happens over a certain time (variable from one reviewer to another) it will likely be archived in a month or two or three.

I am somewhat puzzled about how a cache is archived. It sounds like many individuals archived their own, because they want to place a new one near by or they don't have the time to maintain it. But I have noticed that sometimes someone else archives a particular cache, because the owner is not maintaining it.

<snip>

Also, caches can be Archived directly by Groundspeak if they are informed about a problem with the cache placement. This happened with one of the most memorable ones I found on a roadtrip to Colorado.

Cabin Creek cache

I was sorry to see that happen. :)

So what if a cache in my area has been disabled for over a year? (not do to closure but due to the fact they just never got it up and running) Can I report those somewhere? I understand being busy but for a year??

You could post a needs archived. If the owner is active, you may want to sent them a note (or post a note on the cache page) asking for the status of the cache, first. If you aren't sure about a "needs archived," you could also send an email to the reviewer who published the cache, asking them to take a look at it.

So what if a cache in my area has been disabled for over a year? (not do to closure but due to the fact they just never got it up and running) Can I report those somewhere? I understand being busy but for a year??

You could post a needs archived. If the owner is active, you may want to sent them a note (or post a note on the cache page) asking for the status of the cache, first. If you aren't sure about a "needs archived," you could also send an email to the reviewer who published the cache, asking them to take a look at it.

Thanks, I didn't know that was an option!