Banana Slugs & High Places

hydnsek

My Face is sunburnt so bad that it's starting to blister, but I don't care! I had a blast on the hike. What a perfect day to be at Mt. Rainier! I had a lot of fun hanging out with the 7am group and it was nice seeing the others along the way.

See my pictures from the day here!

Maybe one of these years I'll be able to make that hike, but not in the near future. Looks like you all had fun though...OK, maybe not LR... :D

A few of those pictures would be great on the Banners... :D

My Face is sunburnt so bad that it's starting to blister, but I don't care! I had a blast on the hike. What a perfect day to be at Mt. Rainier! I had a lot of fun hanging out with the 7am group and it was nice seeing the others along the way.

Maybe one of these years I'll be able to make that hike, but not in the near future. Looks like you all had fun though...OK, maybe not LR... :D

This may not have been one of the funnest hikes I have ever done, okay the up part, the glissading down was incredible butt :D was not with out it's consequences, but is is something that I will never forget and was a great accomplishment for me. The sunburn is not real fun today and my calves are are pretty sore too.

I found out that sunscreen does quit working when it gets old. DA(M)N! My sunscreen was at least three years old. Good thing I spent nearly two weeks in So-Cal in April or I'd be blistered too.

I hope your face heals quickly!

I just got home and boy am I tired, my three year old kept me up half the night complaining that she was cold. But she was not actually cold.. sigh....

Anyway I just dumped all my pictures onto the net, I've not even looked at them yet but here they are.

Edited by luckykoi

The Absolute essentials!!

Sun protection

sun glasses

wind protection

warmth

Now some of you realize I had a good reason for saying this.

Glad to see the day was a big success! Congratulations! Great photos.

I had plenty of sun screen and I applied it five times. But sunscreen quits working after a year so it was worthless. My face is mildly burned, no big deal. My sunscreen for my lips was bought just for the trip so it worked quite well. My running shoes were also more then adequate for the hike.

Edited by luckykoi

This may not have been one of the funnest hikes I have ever done, okay the up part, the glissading down was incredible butt :D was not with out it's consequences, but is is something that I will never forget and was a great accomplishment for me. The sunburn is not real fun today and my calves are are pretty sore too.

No matter how hard, at least you did it...I didn't. Congrats!

Sun protection

sun glasses

wind protection

warmth

I had plenty of sun screen and I applied it five times. But sunscreen quits working after a year so it was worthless. My face is mildly burned, no big deal. My sunscreen for my lips was bought just for the trip so it worked quite well. My running shoes were also more then adequate for the hike.

I forgot to do my ears and they are swollen today. I also found a couple spots on my arms that I missed. I never even considered my lips. I have gotten chapped lips before but never sunburnt lips.

Over all I faired pretty well with 30 SPF given that I wore short sleeves and no hat.

Edited by MarcusArelius

What an excellent adventure!! Thanks to everyone for coming and making it such a great experience! :unsure: I'm relieved to say that I have no sunburn, thanks to my sunblock and floppy hat, but I do need some waterproof boots before my next adventure. The glissading was one of the best parts, aside from the views - on the longest one, I think we lost 600 ft in less than a minute!

I've posted all my pictures with my log. Thanks for sharing all your great ones - I missed taking any of us glissading, was having too much fun.

Sun protection

sun glasses

wind protection

warmth

Hmmm when I apply sunscreen I find it quits after a couple of hours. Where do you get yours? :unsure:

Congrats on the climb everybody!

Sun protection

sun glasses

wind protection

warmth

Hmmm when I apply sunscreen I find it quits after a couple of hours. Where do you get yours? :unsure:

Congrats on the climb everybody!

I guess I was the lucky one. My sunscreen was probably 2-3 years old, and I only applied it once, but I didn't get burned. But the floppy hat certainly helped a lot with that - in fact, that was probably the major factor.

My first big climb was probably Pre-Explosion St Helens. I was blistered inside my nose and in my ears. You can imagine what the rest of my face was like! Ouch! Sunscreen is just one thing to use. It sweats off, rubs off, no matter what they say. Gotta keep puting it on and I'm not sure how effective it sticks on wet sweat. Zink oxide is what they used to use and may stick better, I don't know, but really best to use a combination of sunscreen and hat and light covering where ever you can without overheating. I figure I'm a good candidate for skin cancer for not taking care early on.

My first big climb was probably Pre-Explosion St Helens. I was blistered inside my nose and in my ears. You can imagine what the rest of my face was like! Ouch! Sunscreen is just one thing to use. It sweats off, rubs off, no matter what they say. Gotta keep puting it on and I'm not sure how effective it sticks on wet sweat. Zink oxide is what they used to use and may stick better, I don't know, but really best to use a combination of sunscreen and hat and light covering where ever you can without overheating. I figure I'm a good candidate for skin cancer for not taking care early on.

Yeah, but like TL said, Hydnsek and Luckykoi applied thier sunscreen years ago and it still protected them :)