Nightfall searching in Deep Creek, Punta Gorda Fl.

Here is a new idea from my end. I beg the reader to lend your views to my vision for a exciting nightfall search. The search involves a careful placement of mirrors that I will install in the field and the searcher uses a good flashlight with new batteries to reflect the light from the # 1 mirror to the next #2 and #3 and #4. #4 points to the hiding place of the golden baby elephant. This baby elephant is carved out of rosewood and covered with gold foil with tiny zircons for eyes and between his legs he bears my initials, "DLS". The size of the elephant 3-1/2" long, 2" wide and 2-1/2" tall. It will take two searches to complete this nitetime goal to find the golden elephant. One, to place the flashlight at the proper angle to reflect the light from #1 mirror to complete a light beam to all four. When you complete the beam, your partner will find the place where the elephant is hidden.

Before I set the nightfall search, I value your ideas and your drawbacks to my plan. I am all set to go on this, but I need some opinions good or bad. Thankyou for your time and efforts to help me. Love and stuff.........DLS :

Could this be done with laser point instead of flashlight? or would the mirrors not be centered enought for that???

But more importantly, I think you may run afoul of some the guidelines. Like you don't meantion where the logbook will be (under the elephant, in the elephant??) Also, how is gps worked into this? Is mirro 1 in a place I'd need GPS to find easily? Or does the elephant give me coordinates to go find the actual cache or???

Not wanting to disuade you but it looks like this is gonna be a tough one to make work, or at least, keep reliable. The mirrors at first sound like a fun idea but i'm thinking that they certainly wouldn't be necessary, since the finder could simply shine the flashlight around to find the next mirror instead of reflecting off of the one before it. Keeping the mirrrors hidden from muggles, keeping them clean, and keeping them mounted in the right direction might be a headache as well.

That being said, it is an interesting idea so i hope you can make it work out! :o

Could this be done with laser point instead of flashlight? or would the mirrors not be centered enought for that???

But more importantly, I think you may run afoul of some the guidelines. Like you don't meantion where the logbook will be (under the elephant, in the elephant??) Also, how is gps worked into this? Is mirro 1 in a place I'd need GPS to find easily? Or does the elephant give me coordinates to go find the actual cache or???

Good morning Welch, the laser point is a good idea but who has a lazer point at home. Anyone who has a lazer has a top device to find the elephant. The prize is enclosed in a clear plastic container, (water proof) and placed in a bigger container to house the logbook and pencil. The GPS would get the searches to the field and the mirrors are visable and fixed into their postions The mirrors are not numbered. The searchers are trying to find the right placement of the mirrors #1 thru #4. When you find #1 you complete the beam. I didn't want to make the search so simple. To carve a baby elephant, covered with gold foil and zircons for eyes that is a good prize and worthy to sit on your desk. The beam will lead to the center point of the search object- not the elephant. Once there you have to look around to find the container. I am still working on the mirrors to get it right. Anyway thanks for the reply. Love and stuff............DLS

sounds very interesting. If I was down that way, I would love to do a cache like that. How do you keep the muggles away from the mirrors? Good luck wth your idea.

Good morning Wiseye, I live very close to the field. Hope to keep the muggles honest. Thankyou for your reply...Love and stuff..................DLS

I notice the thread title says it's a "Football size lot ... ". I do hope you meant a football field sized lot, otherwise you're going to need some teeny tiny mirrors and eenie weenie geocachers and most of the geocachers I've met are you regular run-of-the-mill sized geocachers. :o

I would think that mirrors left outside for more than a month or so would quickly lose their luster, unless they were quality mirrors. A hand mirror probably wouldn't work. Perhaps a trip to an auto junkyard for some side view mirrors?

Good morning CacheNCarryMA, I purchased four 3" round mirrors from Michaels. they reflect the light O.K. The trick here is the placement of the mirrors fixed into their positions right. You got it right I have to maintain the mirrors and the searchers will have a handy wipe in the pocket. Thanks for the reply........Love and stuff.......DLS

ummmm dosen't florida have l;oads of sunshine? .....don't mirrors and sunshine cause fires????

Great idea BUT will this not cause some BAD press if there is a fire started?

Have a great weekend and loved the idea sorry to be a bit baaah humbug about it!

minxyy

I notice the thread title says it's a "Football size lot ... ". I do hope you meant a football field sized lot, otherwise you're going to need some teeny tiny mirrors and eenie weenie geocachers and most of the geocachers I've met are you regular run-of-the-mill sized geocachers. :o

Good Morning, The Girl, Ha ha ha. not true not true. 3" round mirrors is not teeny tiny. Love and stuff......DLS

Not wanting to disuade you but it looks like this is gonna be a tough one to make work, or at least, keep reliable. The mirrors at first sound like a fun idea but i'm thinking that they certainly wouldn't be necessary, since the finder could simply shine the flashlight around to find the next mirror instead of reflecting off of the one before it. Keeping the mirrrors hidden from muggles, keeping them clean, and keeping them mounted in the right direction might be a headache as well.

That being said, it is an interesting idea so i hope you can make it work out! :o

Goodmorning Mudfrog, When I get this done it will work out fine. If it dosen't I have to work out another search for the elephant. But I live very close to the field.

ummmm dosen't florida have l;oads of sunshine? .....don't mirrors and sunshine cause fires????

Great idea BUT will this not cause some BAD press if there is a fire started?

Have a great weekend and loved the idea sorry to be a bit baaah humbug about it!

minxyy

Dear minxyy, mirrors are reflection not a magnifier . The mirrors are away from the rode side protected by trees and shurbs and face away from the sun. I live very close to the field . When I got the placement of the mirrors set up for a night search, I will check out the sunshine in the day, any heat related to the mirrors I will take it down. I am sure it will work fine. Check it out --thats what you said. Thankyou for your reply and it helps.. Love and stuff.....................DLS

... the laser point is a good idea but who has a lazer point at home. Anyone who has a lazer has a top device to find the elephant...

A cheap laser pointer can be had for two bucks at 7-11 or Circle K. Cheaper than a cheap flashlight.

An idea would be that the first mirror had to be pointed up to. As in it is above you in a tree or on a pole and you stand below it to find the next one.

Keep them above head heigth and most muggles won't notice them.

this is crazy... you know how there is that theory about how ideas can seemingly travel around the globe in an instant? this is one of those times...which seem to happen so often in this sport...

anyways, we were just brainstorming on this exact idea the other night. unfortunately, we came up with more downsides than ups. to be fair though, we haven't tested our theories yet, so i can't say whether or not it would be feasible. i guess it all comes down to the terrain and groundcover at the site. if there iis any breeze, then branches or leaves may blow into the line of sight and won't reflect onto the next mirror. which, the mirror, seems like it would be easy to spot reflecting in the dark, but i feel it could become cumbersome and if the correct type of mirrors aren't used, i don't think it would work at all.

but the idea really excites me, and we have been meaning to get out there and try some things...but excuses, excuses. i'm interested to see how your idea works out.

... the laser point is a good idea but who has a lazer point at home. Anyone who has a lazer has a top device to find the elephant...

A cheap laser pointer can be had for two bucks at 7-11 or Circle K. Cheaper than a cheap flashlight.

An idea would be that the first mirror had to be pointed up to. As in it is above you in a tree or on a pole and you stand below it to find the next one.

Keep them above head heigth and most muggles won't notice them.

Thankyou Airhead! Wow! you can buy a lazer at 7-11 or circle K, I never heard of that before. How far can the lazer light reflection travel. Boy you made my day. You can buy a cheap lazer light for only two bucks. It could be a great search tool for the searchers. My oh my. Thankyou Airhead! Love and stuff......DLS

I don't know how far the cheap penlight laser travels, but at a campground I regularly attend there is a house with a kennel of hunting dogs about .6 mile up the hill. One cacher delights in shining his penlight laser from our late-night fireside up to the kennel to set the dogs to howling (they chase that laser dot around the kennel with some vigor) so I know that it will work over a half-mile.

There was another thread started by this same user which was locked down by a mod and redirected here. The purpose of said thread was to discourage people from using laser pointers for fear of burnning someone's corneas out.

Let me just say, that unless you hold someone down and hold that thing in their eye for an extended period of time, you aren't going to do any harm.

I hate it when people try to scare the crap out of people based on something they heard and didn't bother to check it out any more.

Edited by TheManInStripes

There was another thread started by this same user which was locked down by a mod and redirected here. The purpose of said thread was to discourage people from using laser pointers for fear of burnning someone's corneas out.

Let me just say, that unless you hold someone down and hold that thing in their eye for an extended period of time, you aren't going to do any harm.

I hate it when people try to scare the crap out of people based on something they heard and didn't bother to check it out any more.

basically just don't use one of these: http://www.wickedlasers.com/

It all depends on the power rating of the unit. There are some handhelds now on the market that will do eye damage with minimal exposure. It helps to get your facts straight now, doesn't it!!!!!

Would you like to back up your opinion with fact by shining a pen laser into your own eyeball?

I definitely wouldn't recommend it, unless you are certain you are right.

I caught a very quick reflection from one into my eye for a fraction of a second a few years back. Hurt like crazy for days, and I couldn't see well for a long while after that. Was a regular pen laser (reflected off glass, not even full strength) for a very brief instant.

just curious if anything has been tested by you guys (i mean cache ideas, not whether or not you could blind your friends with a laser pointer). although, since i'm on the topic of a laser pointer in a cache, how would you propose to see that tiny speck of light after bouncing it off a few mirrors and zig-zagging your way across a field in the dark? there would have to be 2 people at least, one to shine it in the first mirror, and the other to look in the right place. crap, i can't even see that point of light when i know where it's spose to be, let alone trying to look for it in woods/outside. again, i think it could be a really cool thing, but the execution seems overwhelming. i almost think that one of those huge spotlights is your best bet.

Would you like to back up your opinion with fact by shining a pen laser into your own eyeball?

I caught a very quick reflection from one into my eye for a fraction of a second a few years back. Hurt like crazy for days, and I couldn't see well for a long while after that. Was a regular pen laser (reflected off glass, not even full strength) for a very brief instant.

I read about lazer lights (Including pen Lazer) about how dangerous they are in given situations. Nightime searching involving mirrors and a partner in the field is a not good idea. Mistakes could happen by burning a eyeball. For myself, use a flashlight. Better then be safe then be sorry. DLS

I read about lazer lights (Including pen Lazer) about how dangerous they are in given situations. Nightime searching involving mirrors and a partner in the field is a not good idea. Mistakes could happen by burning a eyeball. For myself, use a flashlight. Better then be safe then be sorry. DLS

Speaking here as a scientist, I must largely agree with you. The commercially-available laser pointers on the consumer market are limited by law to only a few milliwatts of power, and there is little harm that they could do to the eyes of most persons during a short exposure time, although I agree that it is prudent never to stare directly the beam from a laser pointer (I personally have deliberately done so several times, but I am not a prudent person...)! However, I would also want to say that if a person was quite nutritionally deficient in antioxidants, and if their eyes in particular were very low in antioxidant protection from endogenous (i.e., native to body tissues) antioxidants and exogenous (i.e., from dietary sources) antioxidants -- and this can happen quite readily if a person is a smoker and/or a fairly heavy drinker, or if their diet is very low in nutritional antioxidants -- then there is indeed some possibility that even a very short-term exposure of their eyes to the beam from a laser pointer could be quite painful or could even cause some degree of measurable damage.

And yes, I too tend to get VERY irritated when folks try to post alarmist posts on topics about which they know very little and understand even less, regardless of whether the topic is West Nile virus, snakes, poison ivy, spiders, radon gas, laser pointers, bubonic plague or hantavirus. :D<_<

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team