Garmin eTrex -- waypoint setting?

TIVandfamily

Or make it easy on yourself. Hook it to your computer and download them. Depending on which model of the etrex you have, you may have to buy a cable. It is the best way to avoid looking for a cache 600 feet off the mark because of fumble fingers (not that I ever did that).

Otherwise - as stated, mark and edit. Not very intuitive but that is how you do it.

Otherwise - as stated, mark and edit. Not very intuitive but that is how you do it.

Seriously, marking and editing is such a large part of using a GPS, it amazes me that more emphasis isn't given to it in manuals (at least in the one I got for my Garmin Vista. I had read the manual Thursday night, and went right out on Friday to look for my first cache. When I got to my parking spot, I decided to enter the coordinates of the cache. The most intuitive place I though tfor entering a waypoint was on the navigate screen (the compass). Nope. Next I tried the map. Nope. :laughing: Lastly I went to the main menu. Mark didn't seem right to me, as I didn't care to mark my current location, but another location. Took another few minutes to figure out I can edit the marked coordinates. :sigh:

It is kind of funny how second nature it is now to mark waypoints, but when using it the first time, it seemed impossibly distant to get it done.

Seriously, marking and editing is such a large part of using a GPS, it amazes me that more emphasis isn't given to it in manuals (at least in the one I got for my Garmin Vista. I had read the manual Thursday night, and went right out on Friday to look for my first cache. When I got to my parking spot, I decided to enter the coordinates of the cache. The most intuitive place I though tfor entering a waypoint was on the navigate screen (the compass). Nope. Next I tried the map. Nope. :laughing: Lastly I went to the main menu. Mark didn't seem right to me, as I didn't care to mark my current location, but another location. Took another few minutes to figure out I can edit the marked coordinates. :sigh:

It is kind of funny how second nature it is now to mark waypoints, but when using it the first time, it seemed impossibly distant to get it done.

Remember that until relatively recently, GPSs were used by most people (except professional surveyors, and the military) to mark your current location, so you could return to that spot. So that's what the user manuals were geared to.

Or you could print a cache page and follow the cords to where you want to go. If you are in the US, if you go north the numbers get bigger and if you go west the numbers get bigger. I did this until I learned to use my GPS.This may seem rude or short but it is as much help as the other responses.