Level of Difficulty / Terrain

When placing a cache what guidelines do you follow when setting Difficulty and Terrain? Curious to see how people arrive at this.

I did a multi recently that was rated terrain (2). In fact, I still have to go back and find stage 3, but let's stay on topic :cool:. The last stage is located near creek with extremely steep terrain of broken concrete boulders that average 1 - 2 feet in diameter (more in some cases) on one side (terrain of 4 imo). The other side of the creek is standard urban wooded area...easily 1/2 terrain at most. I went there with a friend and coords for ground zero both took us to the wooded side (I use a 60CSx and he uses a eTrex Legend or something). The last cacher to find also posted similar results from the coords.

I logged a DNF and the cache owner told me in e-mail that there is no need to traverse the steep incline (which makes sense it's rated at 2). However, this just got me thinking...if I had placed this cache I probably would had rated it at 3 just because there is that terrain near the final cache location even though it doesn't necessarily need to be searched.

Now, again, this just got me thinking...I have no problem with the rating. I am just curious how you rate the cache terrain and difficulty. Is it based off the overall terrain or more centric the action find(s)? Maybe it varies from cache to cache...I'd just like to hear others personal guidelines and rules of thumb.

Originally I tried the terrain rating software. While better than nothing I found I trusted my own judgement and finding experience over the software. I try to take into account:

- the total distance you must travel

- the worst terrain you are likely to encounter

- any dangers you are likely to encounter

If nearby #4 terrain is not a danger (like a cliff), and you don't have to go there I would not rate for it.

This is where a well worded hint could come in handy though.

The terrain rating in the OP's example should help clarify that you don't need to get involved with the steep boulder strewn ravine. I'd leave that alone, as a clue of sorts.

I once found a hide with multiple DNFs. The terrain was rated 1. I decided to stick with a 1 terrain search and stay out of the ankle twisting rock lined retention basin. I found the cache readily, on the edge.

The cache should be rated for the easiet path to the cache and for the cache location. In the OP's example, the lower terrain rating should keep you off the steep boulders. If the terrain was higher, it may indicate that you should be searching in the boulders.

You don't rate the cache based on the hardest way to get to the cache. I placed a cache 1 ft off a walking trail. One cacher walked through a marsh to get there. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...4d-00b68e9c21a7

The rating should help keep cachers away from dangers.

The cache should be rated for the easiet path to the cache and for the cache location. In the OP's example, the lower terrain rating should keep you off the steep boulders. If the terrain was higher, it may indicate that you should be searching in the boulders.

You don't rate the cache based on the hardest way to get to the cache. I placed a cache 1 ft off a walking trail. One cacher walked through a marsh to get there. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...4d-00b68e9c21a7

I agree with this in regard to easiest path (I think most of us have taken the hard way to a cache)...however, when a GPS signal can be 15 - 30 feet off and the radius around the cache varies from 2 - 4 terrain what do you do? Stick specifically with the cache location even though the 30' radius is 50% terrain 2 and 50% terrain 4?

I think the terrain should be rated using the MOST LIKELY approach. If one aporoach is a 2 mile hike over easy terrain with difficult to find parking and another approach is a tough climb, 1/2 mile from an obvious parking area, I would rate the cache on the latter.

I also rate the cache based on the most difficult section of the journey.

...if I had placed this cache I probably would had rated it at 3 just because there is that terrain near the final cache location even though it doesn't necessarily need to be searched.

I would most definitely not do this. What it may do is draw people to search the more difficult location. For example if the walk to the cache is over 1 star terrain, but its hidden next to a rocky dropoff that would be rated 4 stars for terrain, I would see the 4 star rating and assume the cache is hidden there.

...if I had placed this cache I probably would had rated it at 3 just because there is that terrain near the final cache location even though it doesn't necessarily need to be searched.

I would most definitely not do this. What it may do is draw people to search the more difficult location. For example if the walk to the cache is over 1 star terrain, but its hidden next to a rocky dropoff that would be rated 4 stars for terrain, I would see the 4 star rating and assume the cache is hidden there.

I'll have to post pictures after I find the exact cache location...it's an interesting location. While I agree with your methodology in principle this location doesn't seem to be that cut and dry.

Thanks for the input though...I am placing two caches this week and it's certainly helpful. My locations are more cut and dry on terrain.

Thanks for the input though...I am placing two caches this week and it's certainly helpful. My locations are more cut and dry on terrain.

In that case this might be helpful.

A local cacher came up with this tongue in cheek rating system after reading a 'rating' rant here in the forums.

Urban Caches

Terrain

* Flat, even terrain, accessible to all, including the wheelchair bound.

** Located in a park which may include rolling hills, curbs, and other obstructions that may impede non-mobile cachers from the Glad container filled with Happy Meal toys.

*** Micro located on a window ledge of a thirty story building. No indication of which floor, but coordinates do seem to point to the south wall.

**** Cache is a PVC pipe hidden on the grounds of a police station, court house or Federal building. Logging requirements may require waving it about or laughing manically while replacing.

***** Cache is located in a "bad part of town" and the cacher is advised to wear red or blue prominently. Whether this will improve the situation or not is left to the whim of the hider.

Difficulty

* Cache is located in McDonalds drive-thru. Order taker may or may not be aware of this, but asking them to "hold the pickle, hold the lettuce" on your Big Mac qualifies you for the find.

** "Stop and Grab" located at popular local park. Cache is a decon container attached to the underside of the only bench in the place. Beware of muggles.

*** Pen cap micro thrown in a storm sewer or taped to the bottom of a dumpster.

**** Puzzle cache, requiring finder to solve sixteen Sudukos, "Price is Right" guessing games and mathematical proofs, each result getting one number of the coordinates. Cache is located at the home of the owner, at said coordinates, who will provide the cache when you ring the bell and ask "where's the stuff?" Encrypted hint reveals the hemisphere (western) to "cut down on all the questions."

***** Cache is a tiny container, built on the atomic level, on the side of a bolt. Box is thirty atoms by thirty atoms. Said bolt then inserted into random picnic shelter in Indiana. Cachers are advised to bring their own electron microscopes.

Non-Urban Caches

Terrain

** Rolling terrain, which may require short hike on uneven surfaces. With optional boulder field, snake infestation or rappelling required, depending on local expectations.

*** Cache may involve any of the following: 10 mile hike; overnight stay; special climbing equipment; paying park "entrance/extortion" fee.

**** Wife, husband, dog, or other voice of reason announces that they'll "stay in the car for this one."

***** Cache is located under Mt. Everest, in the Mariana Trench, or on the moon.

Difficulty

* Cache is in plain sight, having not been hidden by the last finder. Who also left it open, to make it easier for the next guy.

** Cache is hidden under a pile of sticks. In the desert.

*** Cache is in one end of a log. A wasp nest is in the other end. Choose wisely. In bear country, cache may be coated with honey before placement.

**** Multi cache, thirteen stages; six pine cone micros, three fake sticks, two ammo cans and a decon container. Final stage is hidden in a Mountain Dew can -- log may be damp.

***** Cache IS a log. Finding requirements involve pressing a sheet of paper from said timber, and making your own dadgum log to sign. I've got too many other caches to hide.

If there is an easy route from the 'parking' it's always worth making a note of it in the cache description (the parking co-ords) this will encourage cachers to 'possibly' use the route you intended!

However I did one recntly with PC's and ended up across a field and then 'trapped' behind a fence - we'd taken a wrong turn and trundled into an area that had no footpath to the heath! Managed to rectify our mistake BUT although enjoyable it certainly wasn't a '20 min level walk to the cache!' Lesson learned we take OS maps with us now!

Best wishes for your cache placement

Just be fair with your terrains/difficulties it's all subjective anyway!!!

minxyy

In that case this might be helpful.

A local cacher came up with this tongue in cheek rating system after reading a 'rating' rant here in the forums.

Urban Caches

Terrain

** Located in a park which may include rolling hills, curbs, and other obstructions that may impede non-mobile cachers from the Glad container filled with Happy Meal toys.

*** Micro located on a window ledge of a thirty story building. No indication of which floor, but coordinates do seem to point to the south wall.

**** Cache is a PVC pipe hidden on the grounds of a police station, court house or Federal building. Logging requirements may require waving it about or laughing manically while replacing.

***** Cache is located in a "bad part of town" and the cacher is advised to wear red or blue prominently. Whether this will improve the situation or not is left to the whim of the hider.

Difficulty

* Cache is located in McDonalds drive-thru. Order taker may or may not be aware of this, but asking them to "hold the pickle, hold the lettuce" on your Big Mac qualifies you for the find.

** "Stop and Grab" located at popular local park. Cache is a decon container attached to the underside of the only bench in the place. Beware of muggles.

*** Pen cap micro thrown in a storm sewer or taped to the bottom of a dumpster.

**** Puzzle cache, requiring finder to solve sixteen Sudukos, "Price is Right" guessing games and mathematical proofs, each result getting one number of the coordinates. Cache is located at the home of the owner, at said coordinates, who will provide the cache when you ring the bell and ask "where's the stuff?" Encrypted hint reveals the hemisphere (western) to "cut down on all the questions."

***** Cache is a tiny container, built on the atomic level, on the side of a bolt. Box is thirty atoms by thirty atoms. Said bolt then inserted into random picnic shelter in Indiana. Cachers are advised to bring their own electron microscopes.

Non-Urban Caches

Terrain

** Rolling terrain, which may require short hike on uneven surfaces. With optional boulder field, snake infestation or rappelling required, depending on local expectations.

*** Cache may involve any of the following: 10 mile hike; overnight stay; special climbing equipment; paying park "entrance/extortion" fee.

**** Wife, husband, dog, or other voice of reason announces that they'll "stay in the car for this one."

***** Cache is located under Mt. Everest, in the Mariana Trench, or on the moon.

Difficulty

* Cache is in plain sight, having not been hidden by the last finder. Who also left it open, to make it easier for the next guy.

** Cache is hidden under a pile of sticks. In the desert.

*** Cache is in one end of a log. A wasp nest is in the other end. Choose wisely. In bear country, cache may be coated with honey before placement.

**** Multi cache, thirteen stages; six pine cone micros, three fake sticks, two ammo cans and a decon container. Final stage is hidden in a Mountain Dew can -- log may be damp.

***** Cache IS a log. Finding requirements involve pressing a sheet of paper from said timber, and making your own dadgum log to sign. I've got too many other caches to hide.

:blink:

Well, I placed my first geocache last night...not sure how long it'll take to get approved. The only reason I've waited this long to place one is due to being in the middle of a move and selling house and all of that fun stuff.

At any rate...it's a small town with no caches in the city square (which is a basic park). I contacted the city maintenance guy that mows and takes care of the area as well as LEO (Barney).

I approached some of the local businesses and they have donated FTF prizes which is nice to see them support it as it will help bring in a few people to the area. I think the one business is going to be willing to donate a gift certificate prize on an on-going basis.

Well, I placed my first geocache last night...not sure how long it'll take to get approved. The only reason I've waited this long to place one is due to being in the middle of a move and selling house and all of that fun stuff.

At any rate...it's a small town with no caches in the city square (which is a basic park). I contacted the city maintenance guy that mows and takes care of the area as well as LEO (Barney).

I approached some of the local businesses and they have donated FTF prizes which is nice to see them support it as it will help bring in a few people to the area. I think the one business is going to be willing to donate a gift certificate prize on an on-going basis.

Linkage when posted please! :blink: It sounds nice.

Linkage when posted please! :blink: It sounds nice.

Well, I'll be honest, it's not overly creative. I just wanted to plain get a cache in the area to start with, but it's also not a drive-and-grab.

I plan on eventually doing a mix in the area though...a few standard caches, a fun multi and then a relatively difficult one.

On the terrain topic for this cache here is update as I found it today over lunch.

The cache itself is located at the edge of a creek. It is located in a small pile of broken concrete rubble. The entire west side of the cache is a concrete boulder dam-like structure. The south side is the creek. The north side is extremely steep terrain where the boulders meet a hill. The east side is a kind of steep hill that open out into area that is wooded, but not densely thick.

I recommended to the cache owner to at least bump this to a 2.5. The first two stages are definitely 2's and I think the last stage is easily a 3.5. I'll post a picture if I get the chance.

TC: As you asked..here is my first published cache. Again, nothing extrordinary. I mainly wanted to get one published in our area. I am in the process of developing a series of more creative caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d3-96db65eb43c6