Geocaching Books

Sytar

Save your money! (and oh, by the way, welcome to the group! :D ) The forums here are HUGE, and they are also FREE !!! No need to buy a book. Any question you have is already here, and there are thousands of us fellow cachers ready to answer it for you!

It's true! I was recently at the local Barnes & Noble and was sitting flipping through both the "idiots" and the "dummies" guides to geocaching and almost everything that was in the books I had seen in posts here on the forums. So I decided to save my $ and spend it on something more important like, GOOD "swag" for when we go caching again! ;) no McCrap from us!

Hehe. Well, overall I know exactly what you mean, and I kinda figured that there weren't any major secrets or anything that I would find.

I think that I just found that I like to have a book that I can read when I am out and about. I work on computers all day long, if I can get some good info from a book on a subject I am interested in, I am all for it. ;)

There is also the fact that sometimes weeding out the answers from a book is a lot easier then searching for it in a forum. The tangents that people can get off on is HUGE sometimes. :D

There are actually several good books out there about geocaching, however not all of them have "geocaching." in the title. ;)

Bradford Angier's, "How to Stay Alive in the Woods" is a classic. You'll really learn a lot from it.

Art Bernstein's "Weird Hikes" is a great read. Not about caching, but about some unusual experiences in the outdoors. I think you'll relate to a few of them.

Robert Alden Ruben's "On the Beaten Path" is about his Appalachian Trail hike. You'll definitely find some stuff you can relate too...even the part about how they choose their trail names.

Other than that, " Geocaching: Hike and Seek with Your GPS" by Erik Sherman is still my favorite on the topic of geocaching. Sherman gives some great advice about outdoors equipment and hints on map reading and such.

If you're looking for pictures, "Local Treasures: Geocaching Across America" by Margot Ann Kelley is great. Looks good on the coffee table too.

And, of course, there's "How to Hide Things in Public Places" by Dennis Fiery...if you can find a copy. :D

The game encompasses so much of life and so much of the spirit of adventure, don't limit yourself by just reading books on topic.

Bret

I am tempted to mention a newly-released book, this one with a foreword by Jeremy Irish, and this one a book which focuses not on how to do geocaching, but rather on reasons why people geocache and how it expands and enriches their lives, but as I write this note, I realize that I would be better off starting a new topic devoted to my reaction to the book so far (I just received a copy in the mail the other day from the author, who is a forum regular.) So therefore... I shall start a thread devoted to that book (also in Geocaching Topics) within the next hour or two -- would rather do it that way than take this thread too far off course! ;):D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team