Made the switch to Palm from PPC

This past week I made the switch from PPC to the Palm OS. Due to a faulty design and a bad docking cable my Dell Axim x30's connector pins bent and some broke. In lieu of spending $60 to get it repaired I was able to get a Palm Z72s on eBay for $31 (a major bargain).

I am not used to the Palm OS nor the caching apps for the Palm, but so far I love the hardware since it has a built it digital camera. I have tried Cachemate paired with GSAK and also GPX Spinner with both iSilo and Plucker. I found the later series of combinations to be awkward, with too many steps, and I could never get the applications to upload the spun files from GPX Spinner. Cachemate was very easy to get set up since GSAK will export its file type, but it still wasn't what I wanted since it won't do custom filters and sorting based on cache attributes.

Is there anything else I could try that would be like GPX Sonar? I love that program and I wish it was ported to the Palm OS.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Edited by supertbone

I have been using Cachemate on my Palm M500 for two years now. Although it might have a different interface than GPX Sonar, it is a great program. Creating new databases in Cachemate is a little less-than-intuitive, but I finally figured out how to do that.

I use the GSAK to Cachemate combo because it is so straighforward . . . once you get over that original GSAK learning curve. :)

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial. :laughing:

P.S. Congrats on the bargain. :laughing: I had been searching for one of those 72s and never saw one for less than $80. :)

I agree, I'd love to see GPX Sonar ported to a Palm version. My favorite feature with GPX Sonar is the ability to sort caches based on a number of different categories while the data is on the handheld device. You don't need to sort it on the PC or Mac before moving it to the handheld.

Is there an app that lets you do that on the Palm? I mean more than just sorting on waypoint or cachename. I wouldn't mind switching to a Palm for good if there was something as nice as GPX Sonar for the Palm.

Cachemate was very easy to get set up since GSAK will export its file type, but it still wasn't what I wanted since it won't do custom filters and sorting based on cache attributes.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Let GSAK do all of your custom filtering and sorting, then have it spit out multiple files for CacheMate. As far as cache attributes, NO sofware (for pda or PC) can sort based on cache attributes, since they aren't included in Pocket Queries.