Magellan eXplorist 500 LE battery order

Since I already have a T720 battery, time to look at buying a PSP AC adapter too.

I've been looking into buying one of those T720 batteries off of e-bay. What do you think of it? Are you getting comparable battery life to the original Magellan battery?

I can't really comment on that since I'm still waiting for the Magellan-branded battery to arrive. I have a 500LE so it never came with a battery.

All I know is the T720 battery lasts a heck of a lot longer than 3 AAAs. From what I read, the high capacity T720 battery (model number ends with a B, like SNN5225B or something like that) is the same as the Magellan one in terms of capacity. Do a search on here for the actual model number.

The SNN5595 T720 replacement battery from Motorolla is 1100 mAh. The Magellan OEM is a 1300 mAh battery. This means an approximate 18% difference in capacities between the two.

If there is even a 10% margin of error in both those numbers, the batteries could be identical. I measured the Magellan battery at 10mm thick, where the Motorolla is supposed to be 9mm, so it is possible that the Motorolla does indeed have a slightly lower capacity.

If you make the mistake of getting the original thinner T720 battery or one of the third party replacements for it, you could be as low as 500 mAh, in which case you will see a substantial difference in run time.

Update: I just called their customer service... Magellan expects to receive more of the battery/adapter bundles by the 2nd week of May.

I'm not holding my breath.

Since I already have a T720 battery, time to look at buying a PSP AC adapter too.

So I just ordered a battery off ebay for this. Does the PSP AC adpater just plug into the USB cable that came with my Explorist 500? Also, what are the specs on adapater I might have one laying around that will work without having to buy?

I also ordered the bundle from Magellan and called today and was told they would be receiving a shipment early May and mine should be here around 5/20, which is why I would like the specs for the adapater to see if I have one already ;)

Thanks!

So I just ordered a battery off ebay for this. Does the PSP AC adpater just plug into the USB cable that came with my Explorist 500? Also, what are the specs on adapater I might have one laying around that will work without having to buy?

Thanks!

Nevermind, I found the answer in an earlier thread. Will the explorist charge off the usb while connected to a laptop/desktop computer?

Will the explorist charge off the usb while connected to a laptop/desktop computer?

Only if the explorist is turned off will power go to charging the battery. The USB cable can not supply enough current to both charge and power the explorist at the same time. Also, the charge rate will be lower than it would be with the external power supply.

Just got my battery/power cable combo yesterday in the mail ... a few days after my eXplorist decided to die. Now what the heck do I do with the GPS?

I wouldn't suppose it is still under warranty?

I had a bad power supply fry my GPSr. Unfortunately it also damaged my battery, which is why my interest in this thread...

Magellan replaced the GPSr under warranty, but since they didn't have the power supply, I ended up just tossing that and using my PSP power supply instead.

I had a backordered battery too... I simply went out to Amazon and found it in stock (cheaper) at ANTonline. There were quite a few places saying they had them in stock... and it's even marked Magellan. :P

Ordered on Sunday and shipped out on Tuesday AM... I think this is the way to go.