Creative Cache Ideas

jrm1963

I was thinking about setting up a mystery or puzzle cache based upon multiple virtual caches. Possibly extracting information from signs along a road or bike path. And it got me to wondering what some of the most unique caches others have encountered might be. Got any really special caches you've found or placed? <_<

Probably the best, most-unique, most challenging cache I have ever done is Snakes and Ladders by Parsa and Dan-oh.

That cache is on multiple Bookmark lists and is being watched by more than 30 people. :o

This looks like quite the adventure. I wish I had an upcoming trip to the area so I could block out a couple of extra days and attempt the quest. Thanks for your input. <_<

Perhaps you'd call it novel, or just a good idea, but here's one of the better caches I found.

It was in a swampy area behind a lake, and you had to cross a stream to get to it. Your feet would get wet if you weren't wearing boots so the average person would not even go into the area. Once you got near the cache it was up in a dead tree. Kids could not reach it (nor see it most of the time) and adults could reach it if they climbed the dead tree, or got a long stick.

I thought the location was a good way to keep muggles away. And the height was a good way to prevent messing with the cache.

Try checking out caches placed by Yodadog. They own what is commonly referred to as the best cache in Connecticut. I have yet to do it but my wife and I are planning on doing it on our anniversary. There was even a newspaper article written about this cache. The Pit

I hope that I can be as creative when I go to place my first cache.

I've had an idea for quite a while now. I wish I could find a priest with a sense of humor. The find would involve going into a confessional at a church and asking for the cache. "Forgive me, Father, for I am addicted to geocaching." Since we name our caches after songs, it naturally would be called 'SINNER'. B)

Edited by Team LaLonde

Here's one that I did. {I love working with rope]

First you find a spot where the last three digits of the co-ords are just odd enough to add to the confusion.

Mine are N .115 and W.551.

Then you tie a length of cord to the base of a tree where the coiled cord could be hidden out of sight.

Tie a bunch of knots in the cord at about 18 inches apart

Now get a some of flat rocks and write numbers on the bottoms from 1 to whatever with a magic marker.

Spread them around the tree at varying distances making sure that each knot is directly above one of the flat rocks

Now in the cache discription you give the clue to the final with the instructions, { in my case]...

" North..It's not 5, It's not 5 it's not 1

West...It's not 1, It's not 1, It's not 5

Being that under knot #5 is the rock with the #1 written on the bottom ,and under rock #1 is a #5 written on the bottom.Which gives you N.115

Same thing with the West under knot #5 is a 1,and under knot 1 is a #5which gives you W.551.

As you can see only two knots with numbers were used,but a bunch of decoy rocks with as many numbers as you want can be placed to add more confusion.

Even if you get it right you might copy the numbers down wrong.

O'BG

http://nepageocachers.org

Here's one that I did. {I love working with rope]

First you find a spot where the last three digits of the co-ords are just odd enough to add to the confusion.

Mine are N .115 and W.551.

Then you tie a length of cord to the base of a tree where the coiled cord could be hidden out of sight.

Tie a bunch of knots in the cord at about 18 inches apart

Now get a some of flat rocks and write numbers on the bottoms from 1 to whatever with a magic marker.

Spread them around the tree at varying distances making sure that each knot is directly above one of the flat rocks

Now in the cache discription you give the clue to the final with the instructions, { in my case]...

" North..It's not 5, It's not 5 it's not 1

West...It's not 1, It's not 1, It's not 5

Being that under knot #5 is the rock with the #1 written on the bottom ,and under rock #1 is a #5 written on the bottom.Which gives you N.115

Same thing with the West under knot #5 is a 1,and under knot 1 is a #5which gives you W.551.

As you can see only two knots with numbers were used,but a bunch of decoy rocks with as many numbers as you want can be placed to add more confusion.

Even if you get it right you might copy the numbers down wrong.

O'BG

http://nepageocachers.org

:cool:B)B)

Did i mention ;) ?