Oldest active cache

As i wrote a eulogy to my recently departed cache of 4 years, I was asked by Wifemate what is the oldest active cache in America. I figured a simple PQ by date would reveal the answer.

So I started from the earliest date the PQ allows and searched later dates till I found the earliest. I also discovered that "United States" is not listed in the list of countries. A simple workaround was to set the distance at 5000 miles from my home coordinates (that oughta get it).

Then I get My Result and it seemed strange that there were only 19 hits in seven years.

it appears this cache was just published this year.

So, considering that the database seems to have some errors in it, how would I accurately find the oldest ACTIVE cache, both in the U.S. and in Indiana (so as I might attempt to log it) ?

I believe the oldest active cache is Mingo, in Kansas. Ironically that's where the linked cache is located. It's pretty clear that the owner made a mouse scrolling error when selecting 2000 for the date hidden. You can basically select any hidden date that you want. Sometimes people don't choose to list their caches until later. A series of four private caches near me were just published almost a year after being hidden!

So, you should also look at the GC number when assessing a cache's true age. But even that won't work for caches hidden prior to September 2000. The initial batch of caches were converted over alphabetically by state when Geocaching.com was first set up.

There are bookmark lists for the oldest active cache in each state. See them here on the bookmark list page for the oldest cache in my state. There's also a cool webpage listing information about the first 100 caches ever hidden. I'm sure someone will be along with links to that.

Another question, is Mingo still the original container? From the cache page it looks like it might be.

I have noticed that a lot of the older caches have been replaced or adopted. I don't think that really counts, but adding that condition makes any kind of simple search impossible.

Seven years old, still the original container, and continuously in service is pretty amazing for something left out in a public place and published on the internet with people invited to find it.

mingo is GC30, question for the veterans? Why is Beverly(gc28) which by my score should predate GC30

See my prior post on how the first 100 or so caches were listed. Illinois comes before Kansas in the alphabet. Oh, but Washington and Oregon caches were at the front of the alphabet. An interesting geohistoric quirk.

This is the oft-mentioned in these forums web page with the first 100 caches by date placed, without regard to Waypoint name The world's first 100 geocaches There is however, one discrepency that I know of, and it's in Lep's neck of the woods (sort of). GC184 was placed 9/21/2000, but not reported to this website until January 2001.

mingo is GC30, question for the veterans? Why is Beverly(gc28) which by my score should predate GC30

See my prior post on how the first 100 or so caches were listed. Illinois comes before Kansas in the alphabet. Oh, but Washington and Oregon caches were at the front of the alphabet. An interesting geohistoric quirk.

This is the oft-mentioned in these forums web page with the first 100 caches by date placed, without regard to Waypoint name The world's first 100 geocaches There is however, one discrepency that I know of, and it's in Lep's neck of the woods (sort of). GC184 was placed 9/21/2000, but not reported to this website until January 2001.

The oldest active cache in California (GC5B) is listed as archived.

Seems the person that setup that list hasn't noticed your cache has been replaced and unarchived??

Seems the person that setup that list hasn't noticed your cache has been replaced and unarchived??

Un-archived after an extended period of time is really just a new cache in the old ones location.

These bookmarks may help;

Oldest unarchived cache in the state.

First cache placed in the State.

Yea I noticed it had been archived for like 4 years, but I'm not making a case for or against it being the 'same'. I'm just point out the apperent thing. That list is setup and maintained by a person, to get this changed on it you need to see them. Posting about it here probably doesn't mean anything unless the person running the list will see this thread (and especially gobolts! posts)

If you look on the bottom of the 100 oldest geocaches web page, it hasn't been updated since 2005. Or at least the web page owner hasn't changed the date at the bottom of the page since 2005. I always liked it because it has the first 100 by date without regard to waypoint name. It was only in the last month when I found GC184 in Pennsylvania, that it ever occured to me there could be any errors on it (and there is, that cache should be #88 in the world, but is not listed).

The web page predates the bookmark list feature on this website, and as Baloo has shown, some people have put out excellent bookmark lists of historic caches. And when you go to a historic cache page, you'll certainly find many more excellent lists that haven't been linked to in this thread.

Un-archived after an extended period of time is really just a new cache in the old ones location.

Exactly. These don't count.

Even if it's the original cache that was "lost" somehow? I just re-found (and pulled the geo-litter) a cache that was archived over a year and a half ago, it's been there the whole time.

Edited by The Jester

It was removed do to fire-danger....not muggled.

In the proses of returning the original container.

So I guess with your thinking ...that any cache that has been muggled should be archived and a new cache listed????

:(:):)

So I guess with your thinking ...that any cache that has been muggled should be archived and a new cache listed????

:):(:)

After clicking on that link a couple of times over the life of this thread, I finally noticed I had to log in not because it's archived, but because it's an MOC. Now I finally know what GoBolts is talking about. :)

I can see your point. But I'm going to have to go with the "doesn't count" crowd. It was removed and then replaced 4 years later by another cacher (GoBolts). One of the first 40 in the world was placed about 25 miles from my home coords, and archived in 2002 due to a trail access dispute with land owners. These problems were resolved years ago, and I considered a "tribute cache" in the past, but it never crossed my mind to try to call it the same cache. A moot point, since I got caught snoozing, and proximity issues make it impossible now.

Editing, for something I didn't notice before. if you come up with the original container somehow, then I'll do a 180.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

:(:):)

I don't think you meant the response to be off my post. Your comment does not seem to match as what I said was archived for an extended period of time.

Exactly. These don't count.

Even if it's the original cache that was "lost" somehow? I just re-found (and pulled the geo-litter) a cache that was archived over a year and a half ago, it's been there the whole time.

I would say it still counts if it is the original container or similar replacement and is still in the same location and maintained by the same owner. Things happen. If the cache was substantially in existence from the beginning in substantially the same form and location it counts. If it disappeared and was replaced by someone else perhaps after the original owner disappeared too, then i think it is a new cache and the clock starts over.

Not as any of this amounts to a hill of lima beans.