Amsterdam Recommendations

Paul, I spent a few days in Amsterdam with GeoDog towards the end of 2005.

Quite a few of the caches I did then have been archived now.

However, the remaining ones are nice ones (IMHO)

2C (5) - POINT by zowaar! (GCKPYT)

Netherlands (virtual, informative, enjoyed, near the harbour)

kunst in een boom in Amsterdam by mc gregor (GCH623)

Netherlands (virtual, sneaky, again a fun one, just outside the Marriott hotel on the Liedesplein)

Amsterdam - Overtoom by Big Brother (GC8D4B)

Netherlands (Webcam, not far from the Marriott)

Amsterdam Urban 1 by Onwaarschijnlijk (GC198)

Netherlands (Nice little film canister in the Vondelpark, alongside the Marriott)

Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie, De Cache by Barny's (GCCE4E)

Netherlands (Virtual which I bagged while on a canal boat ride which enters the harbour at one point, email me if you need to know what they are asking for in Dutch)

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Haven't been back to Amsterdam since I started caching but if you have an hour or two to spare one evening, check out 'The Last Waterhole' bar. It's on Ouderzijds Armsteeg, just on the edge of the Red Light district. It's also a cheap hotel (14 Euros a night) if you need one and there's a live band every night. I had a great time there :D:D:D

I went a year or so ago, and have to say there weren't that many good caches at the time. I wasn't all that inspired by the virtuals... 2C (5) - POINT was near my hotel and was an interesting place to drop into, but even that one probably wasn't worth much of a trip.

Amsterdam Urban 2 has the amusing feature that you need to be on a boat to find it. You can hire pedalos from various places around the city. They're more fun than you think they're going to be!

I did very much enjoy Komen en gaan - it's a novel concept I haven't seen before, though you'll have to print out all the photos attached to the cache page before you leave home. You should expect the whole thing to take a couple of hours, but it's central enough that you don't have to do it in one go - I dropped in over several evenings. The final location was, in my humble opinion, well dodgy - but that was largely because of a particular thing I can't do which you probably can... you can decrypt my log for more details (at the cost of a very mild spoiler).

Enjoy your trip!

I'd recommend the multi 'AMS1 Naar Vriendschap Zulk Een Mateloos Verlangen' (GCX2AJ) - partly because it's an interesting mini tour and partly because it's one of the few caches that I could read that isn't a micro. It's still quite small, but there's room for small TB's/Coins if you're planning on dropping any off while there.

Having said that, the last two logs are DNF's... might be worth keeping an eye on.

I was there a couple of weeks ago for a day, and introduced my brother to caching. Look at my profile to see what you could manage in that time just by walking (although I took a taxi to the Vondelpark and then a tram back to the station).

AMS1 was probably the most fun, and the next day after I was there the third in this series was published. The puzzle cache in Chinatown is easy to solve too.