Legend USB data cable

I have a Garmin Legend GPS. I've had it for a while, but have just gotten into the Geocaching sport. As such, I would now like to link my Legend to my laptop so that I can manage my waypoints, etc. My legend came with the serial port data cable, which does me no good because my computer has no serial port. I did find the USB cord on the Garmin site FOR $60!!!! Is this the only way? I've been to the local stores and looked on Ebay; nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion? Do I really have to spend $60 for a little cord? Is this the only way?

Please help! My fingers are getting tired from entering waypoints the hard way with that little cursor thing!

Thanks.

I have a Garmin Legend GPS. I've had it for a while, but have just gotten into the Geocaching sport. As such, I would now like to link my Legend to my laptop so that I can manage my waypoints, etc. My legend came with the serial port data cable, which does me no good because my computer has no serial port. I did find the USB cord on the Garmin site FOR $60!!!! Is this the only way? I've been to the local stores and looked on Ebay; nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion? Do I really have to spend $60 for a little cord? Is this the only way?

Please help! My fingers are getting tired from entering waypoints the hard way with that little cursor thing!

Thanks.

Just buy a serial port/usb converter/adapter. Should be able to find one rather cheap.

Radio Shack, while it has things you can't find elsewhere, is not the low-price leader.

:huh:

I remember when the sales guys at Radio Shack used to know something about electronics. Nowadays, if it isn't related to cell-phone rate plans, you're SOL. Those guys are even bigger idiots than Best Buy blue shirts. You can still buy electronics, but woe is you if you don't know exactly it is you need and can show them in their own catalog where to get it....

I used to use an eTrex Legend that wasn't mine but I can't remember what type of connection it has. I have an eTrex Vista Cx now and it is simply a USB Series-A to USB Mini-B cable. A lot of people get fooled (aka pay $60 on eBay) into thinking that they need a specific cable manufactured only by the brand of their product but it is 90% of the time just a basic $5 USB cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_USB

Radio Shack, while it has things you can't find elsewhere, is not the low-price leader.

Fry's is a better source for DIY electronics, these days. As always with Fry's, they will fight you tooth and nail on returns, so keep every bit of packaging, if you think you might be bringing something back for return/exchange. Also, they restock their returned merchandise right next to the new stuff, so check for the "restocked" label.