Problems with Etrex - help please

It would seem like your little baby has had a fit :) ..Does it also not spin at all on Nav mode?..if this is the case then it will need to have a Hard Reset..... I can not remmeber the 4 buttons that you have to hold in together..I am sure a fellow cacher will post the buttons needed on this thread...then go outside and it takes about 20 minutes....Garmin send it the Data needed...being Bank Holiday i guess Garmin are not answering the phone....they advised me of the right Buttons .........

If all this fails then the unit will have to be sent back..if you can not do that...bad news..New Unit time :anicute:

In my case it had been fried!..after walking under a large Telecoms Tower...i do not know if this was just coincident or if the Tower blew it up?...all i know is that it refused to track anymore

Hope the reset does the Job.....No Tracker is No Fun :)

I *think* you hold PAGE, and then power ON to do a forced cold start. IIRC, this combo is in the manual (but I've lost mine, so can't confirm)

I *think* ENTER+PowerON do a complete hard master reset, and wipe all data, and revert to manufacturer defaults.

Service Mode is UP+PAGE+PowerON (not a lot to see/do, but it does tell you the temperature of the oscillator, and the voltage of the batteries). Key combo there can also do the master reset.

After cold reset, leave it out in satellite visibility - it'll take a while to lock!

Disclaimer: do this at your OWN risk, and only if you are prepared to lose all settings, data etc.!!! I may be wrong with those key combos, and not willing to lose the data on mine to verify!

Edited by andy_the_rocketeer

Thanks for the replies - time to show technical support (hubbie) your suggestions and let him get on with it. :)

No settings , etc on there as I just use mine when we get out of the car as his Mio gets us there. I just got fed up of following everywhere so threw my teddy out of the pram and got my own.

So fingers crossed if not Ebay here I come!!!!!

Service Mode is UP+PAGE+PowerON (not a lot to see/do, but it does tell you the temperature of the oscillator, and the voltage of the batteries). Key combo there can also do the master reset.

Oh, that's cool. Can get it to do a screen test by pushing page twice when there.

Removing the batteries for long periods of time will throw the internal clock out of whack, this happened to me, when I used it on 2nd April, it thought it was the 17th March! It had to do a scan, of course, which took ages.