How do you start a club

Here is some information the GGA put together.

http://www.ggaonline.org/clubdocs.html

Read the linked article too. It is good stuff.

I caution you to use the "straw man" concept for ownership of assets. The AGA (AL Geo Assn) melted down because the one person who ran it owned all of the assets and then totally disappeared. They have had to basically reform. The "straw man" concept is discussed on the GGA page linked above.

I already have the name picked out. Several people have liked it. It's "The G.A.G. Order" and stands for Guys About Geocaching or Guys Always Geocaching.

I like it! It has possibilities for some very good motto/taglines.

Seriously though, you can have a club and be very casual about it. There is one out in Illinois (I think) that is fairly big and has no board or formal elected staff. If you do want to have a club that handles money and equipment libraries and such, follow mtn-man’s advice.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Pick a name, other than that you all decide how casual or militant you want to be. :)

edit: forgot the :)

I already have the name picked out. Several people have liked it. It's "The G.A.G. Order" and stands for Guys About Geocaching or Guys Always Geocaching.

SO, it would exclude females :( ?

Pick a name, other than that you all decide how casual or militant you want to be. ;)

edit: forgot the ;)

SO, it would exclude females :laughing: ?

Yes, it does exclude females. Before anyone bashes me about being sexist, let me explain. I believe that today's church (in general) has little or nothing for a man. That's why you see moms and children going to church while dad stays home to mow the yard. This club is an effort to let Christian men and boys fulfill their primal need to hunt. It allows them to beat their chest, swing from vines and say "WE BE MEN!"

Now, with that said, we are not going to turn away a woman who wants to visit the club to see what it's about. We also are planning family outing days every couple of months. That's a saturday that the men can bring their family and we'll all hunt for a couple of hours and then have lunch in a park.

Pick a name, other than that you all decide how casual or militant you want to be. :laughing:

edit: forgot the :D

SO, it would exclude females :D ?

Yes, it does exclude females. Before anyone bashes me about being sexist, let me explain. I believe that today's church (in general) has little or nothing for a man. That's why you see moms and children going to church while dad stays home to mow the yard. This club is an effort to let Christian men and boys fulfill their primal need to hunt. It allows them to beat their chest, swing from vines and say "WE BE MEN!"

Now, with that said, we are not going to turn away a woman who wants to visit the club to see what it's about. We also are planning family outing days every couple of months. That's a saturday that the men can bring their family and we'll all hunt for a couple of hours and then have lunch in a park.

WOW!!!! WHAT CENTURY IS THIS!!??? Sorry but i think the "Church" has done enough to damage families with out having to pull Dad's away from then every Saturday, When he should be spending time with the "little MRS" and the kids!

WOW!!!! WHAT CENTURY IS THIS!!??? Sorry but i think the "Church" has done enough to damage families with out having to pull Dad's away from then every Saturday, When he should be spending time with the "little MRS" and the kids!

Your choice of words is interesting. I'd like to hear more about your theory of the church damaging families.

Our GC club meets on Tuesday evenings for only a couple of hours. The men will have plenty of time to spend with "the Mrs."

Now that I think about it...the church has damaged families. I believe that the church has become too feminine for men to feel comfortable or accepted there. It's never been the intention for the woman to be the spiritual leader of the home. So, when Dad doesn't go to church, the family suffers. The church needs to find a way to get men into and active in the church so that they will take responsibility for their familial and spiritual duties.

And yes, I am a man.

I think it sounds like a fine idea. I'd be interested in 'joining' from a distance just to see how to do one in my local area.

Keep in mind that while gc.com has supported a female-only cache event, (and by doing so, risking the very fabric of society), the role of the church in the family is probably a discussion for the Off-Topic Forum.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think it's great to be able to have something organized for men to get together and be able to have some fun! You look at most churches & the women's ministries are very strong with many activities for them to do but many churches are lacking for the men and ministries for them. We need MORE activities for men to do so that they can get to know each other better, support each other, help each other & that WILL carry over to the families & the men will be BETTER husbands & fathers. AMEN my brother, it's a great idea, in fact i know 3-4 guys in my church that have starting caching & i'm thinking of the same idea. (really, it's just another excuse to get out of the house so we don't have to help with the kids, etc.... LOL :D ) Come on, ease up everyone, it's simply an informal caching club, not a women haters club. Overall, if a group of people have fun doing something let them have a club. Who says you can't start a women's only cache club?

W.A.G.s unite!!!!!! :blink:

Edited by mdegarmo

I just have one question......You said

"So, when Dad doesn't go to church, the family suffers. The church needs to find a way to get men into and active in the church so that they will take responsibility for their familial and spiritual duties."

Why isn't Dad going to church???

Not trying to start a debate here, just seems like another excuse for the men to "get together" again. Make it a Family Group and everyone will be happy and no one is to blame but themselves if they don't show an interest in caching.