Palm M500 and Windows XP issues?

I'm looking to go paperless and am considering a Palm M500 based on what I have read and the cost. Looking over the OS required to operate the Palm I don't see windows XP (possibly because it's older). I run XP and would like to know if there are any issues that would preclude me from using the M500.

Thanks

I also use a Palm m500 (and CacheMate) with XP. Works great. Actually the only XP benefit I saw for the m500 application over Windows 2000 is that XP has an un-zip program already built in (you are going to need that to un-zip PQ's). But I have to question the assertion by Rick618 that a color Palm (m505, m515) is "much easier to read" than the non color m500.

All you are going to get is text. The 500 looks great in Brown text (the actual color), and is easy to view in direct sunlight. That is the reason I got the 500. Even if Rick doesn't have any problem viewing color in direct sunlight, I can't see how it could get any easier to read than an m500.

I also use a Palm m500 (and CacheMate) with XP. Works great. Actually the only XP benefit I saw for the m500 application over Windows 2000 is that XP has an un-zip program already built in (you are going to need that to un-zip PQ's). But I have to question the assertion by Rick618 that a color Palm (m505, m515) is "much easier to read" than the non color m500.

All you are going to get is text. The 500 looks great in Brown text (the actual color), and is easy to view in direct sunlight. That is the reason I got the 500. Even if Rick doesn't have any problem viewing color in direct sunlight, I can't see how it could get any easier to read than an m500.

I have several other apps on the pdas and find the color screen easier to read, simple as that.

The Palm Desktop software is not very compatible with Windows XP Media Edition. :laughing: It works fine with my Win2K machine, and with "normal" XP.

I really like my Palm M500 and it is very easy to read in bright sunlight. However, if you can afford to spend a bit more money, the Palm Zire 72 is a nice PDA. I've seen those on eBay for $80.00, but they usually sell for more.

Cachemate is great and very easy to use. I use GSAK to Unzip the PQs and Export in the information in the correct format for the Palm.

A big question seems to be which palm to use. I have a Palm IIIx, two Palm IIIc's, A Treo 180g and a Treo 650. The last two are Palm based smart phones, but they still have palm software. I got them from several places including e-bay and did not pay more than $20.00 for any one of them. They all work with my laptops with windows 2000 and desktop with windows XP. They will all hold over a thousand caches. The newer ones hold a lot more. They all work with Cachemate or plucker.

The part that is overlooked is the physical connection to your computer. My older Palms use a serial port while the newer ones use USB. Both my laptops have a serial connector, as well as USB so no problem for me. Some laptops do not have a serial port. There are converters to convert a USB to serial. But that is an added cost. Get a Palm that connects for you.

The next question is color vs monochrome. You are not going to be carrying it and following it like your GPS. You are going to read about the cache, maybe the hint, then put it away until you find the cache. Then take it out again, make a note about your find, look for the next cache, read about it and the hint if you want, then put it away. You can usually get out of the bright sun long enough to read.

You are going to put it away in a safe place because none are waterproof or as rugged as your GPS. They are a little fragile. So get a cheap one (e-bay, craig list, goodwill, friend) and give it a try. The goal is to save paper and ink.

To answer the question why I have more than one. I have been getting them to give away as door prizes when we have a Geekfest here in Dallas.

The Palm Desktop software is not very compatible with Windows XP Media Edition. :cry: It works fine with my Win2K machine, and with "normal" XP.

I'm running Windows XP Media Edition and a Palm m515, no problems or issues ever.

You are lucky. On the Palm site, it states that the Palm Desktop is not compatible with Windows XP Media Edition.

On this DELL laptop, I get the horrible blue screen of death if I try a HotSync from the Limited Account, even though the Palm software was installed from that account. If I try a HotSync from the Administrtor account -- after a reboot -- with no other programs, sometimes it works, other times I get the blue screen of death.

I downloaded this program yesterday, but haven't tried it on the laptop yet. It worked fine on my Win2K desktop. ;)