New Messages counter staying at 0

We have sent a number of PMs lately and track them to see when they are read. Several of the people hadn't read their PMs so we e-mailed them to let them know they had new PMs. Several responded with "We didn't know we had any PMs since the counter stayed at 0 even though they had new PMs waiting to be read.

Might want to check and see what is happening or if others are having the same problem.

John

I have had this problem ever since I joined...2 years ago. I just have to randomly check them, which wasn't really a problem, until I put our new coin up for sale a few weeks ago. It really is annoying!

There is a setting in each user's forum profile that will cause a notification email to be sent whenever someone sends you a PM.

To enable this feature, click on "My Controls" (top of any forum page), then click on "Board Settings" under the Options list. Change the box next to "Do you wish to get a board notification when you get a new personal message?" to Yes.

I have had this problem ever since I joined...2 years ago. I just have to randomly check them, which wasn't really a problem, until I put our new coin up for sale a few weeks ago. It really is annoying!

There is a setting in each user's forum profile that will cause a notification email to be sent whenever someone sends you a PM.

To enable this feature, click on "My Controls" (top of any forum page), then click on "Board Settings" under the Options list. Change the box next to "Do you wish to get a board notification when you get a new personal message?" to Yes.

That doesn't send an email; it just pops up a box when you login to or refresh the forums. I know, because I've had mine set that way since I started on the boards and I've never received an email.

However, I don't think this is entirely the issue. I've talked with The Herd and discussed the settings, and she said she has it set that way already. The problem is it's not even registering that she has a new message. The message counter at the top of the page never changes. The pop up box never shows up. New messages show up, but she doesn't get notified. She has to manually enter her Messages area and check.

That doesn't send an email; it just pops up a box when you login to or refresh the forums. I know, because I've had mine set that way since I started on the boards and I've never received an email.

Weird. I'm pretty sure I've always gotten an email (in addition to the pop up box you describe) when someone PMs me.

If you PM me I'll let you know if I'm still getting email notification.

Test PM sent.

I get a pop up message when I'm sent a PM but no email. (A couple a month).

I have always gotten the pop up so maybe it's a browser setting issue.

Edit: Either way The "counter stayed at 0 even though they had new PMs waiting to be read" issue is a concern.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Test PM sent.

Thanks, BlueDeuce.

Here's what I experienced:

I did receive an email message (from "Groundspeak Forums"). Subject line was "You have a new personal message ( Groundspeak Forums )".

After I saw the email, I immediate returned to my forum browser window (which was still open), and I saw the pop up window. And my message counter shows that I have one new message.

Edit: Either way The "counter stayed at 0 even though they had new PMs waiting to be read" issue is a concern.

I agree.

I have had my setting set the way you suggested for quite some time now. It doesn't just happen on my home computer, but at my moms house as well. I really don't think it is a browser issue for me, but I still don't know what would be causing it. I have tested it, by opening my PM link in a different window, and it STILL shows I have "0 NEW MESSAGES" at the top of this screen.

I get a pop up message when I'm sent a PM but no email. (A couple a month).

I have always gotten the pop up so maybe it's a browser setting issue.

Mine is the same way.

However, I was playing with the settings and under 'My controls' then 'email settings' (its the one right above 'board settings') and one of the check boxes in there says:

Send a confirmation email when I receive a new private message

Enabling this option will send an email confirmation of any new private messages sent to you.

And this one is not checked... maybe I need to check that one and see what happens :cry: