Power lines

try standing under one at night holding a neon tube (fluorescent lamps) and turn it around. watch it light up without any wires and then walk away..... :o:rolleyes:

What if it were a UV lamp, and you wrote the coordinates of a multi waypoint on it in UV ink, then listed the lines as a second waypoint and the location of the bulb as a first? Would that work?

Hmmm.... I have a UV Flourescent Tube. Near Wenatchee I know where you can stand so close to a 230KVA line you can feel your hair stand on end and feel the crackle on your skin. Locally I don't know such a spot and may have to work a bit to find a spot to make my light glow.

What about those big green boxes...I think they might be transformers, usually located outside of large complexes and churches and such? Anybody know if those make a fluorescent light glow?

No, this will not happen with an electric utility power distribution transformer, and rather only with very high voltage (HV) electric transmission lines. It is the HV electric field under a HV transmission (aka "power") line which makes a fluorescent bulb glow, and since a power transformer is shielded and since it is creating primarily a magnetic field, it will not (at least it SHOULD not) cause a fluorescent lamp to glow.

How far away from a high voltage line is safe? I was planting a clue the other day in a parking area maybe fifty yards away from one that is buried. Should I have a flourescent tube with me?

There are a lot of different theories around as to the danger of high-voltage lines and pylons. There's some evidence that there's a special allergy that reacts to the presence of such lines in bizarre ways (for more info -- and ignore the silliness of the title -- you can take a look at Albert Budden's "Allergies and Aliens," which discusses high-voltage electricity and some of its common and not-so-common effects).

How safe is safe? It depends on what you believe of the theories. I certainly wouldn't spend any significant time around any of them, light or no loght.

-- Jeannette