Converting Coordinates

xjrob

I am trying to convert coordinates I got from google earth (41°24'5.49"N

124° 3'28.74"W) into the coordinates that gc.com uses. example (N 41°00.000 W 124°00.000) Or is there a way that google earth can change that? I found a web site that converts but is the wrong one that I need. I really need these readings so that I can ask my local if that area is ok to place a cache, im trying to save myself 16 mile hike,I hate finding things out the hard way. Thanks in advance.

What does geocaching.com use?

DMS 41°24'5.49" N 124°3'28.74" W

MinDec 41°24.0915 -124°3.478999

DegDec 41.401525 -124.057983

For some reason they don't look right. On my gps unit the readings look like.

N 41°00.000 W 124°00.000

I am trying to convert coordinates I got from google earth (41°24'5.49"N

124° 3'28.74"W) into the coordinates that gc.com uses. example (N 41°00.000 W 124°00.000) Or is there a way that google earth can change that? I found a web site that converts but is the wrong one that I need. I really need these readings so that I can ask my local if that area is ok to place a cache, im trying to save myself 16 mile hike,I hate finding things out the hard way. Thanks in advance.

Your GPS will convert anything too if you just switch the coordinate system in the system settings. :)

http://boulter.com/gps/ is a great website with lots of helpfull tools, thanks to all of you who helped.

Is there a utility to convert an address into coordinates?

I will be visiting my mother-in-law this weekend, and though it might be something fun to do with the nieces so I would like to find out if there is one very close to her.

That's called geocoding. You can do a google search for utilities. You can also try one out here

Geocoders usually end up giving you coordinates in a format not used by geocaching.com so use something like GeoCalc to change the coordinates once you get them from the geocoder.

Edited by Thrak