iFINDER® Hunt C

drs244

I am new to GPS's in general and thought this one looked good. I like to hike, hunt, fish and generally get lost in the woods. Can anyone tell me good and bad things about this one in particular?

Thanks,

Dave

I was told when I bought my first GPS is that if works for you and your activities, it's good enough. I went Garmin eTrex Vista Cx and don't have a complaint because it works for me. If your iFinder works for you, your good. But if you are having problem....poor sat reception, inacurate cords...maybe you should get I new unit.

Some folks have told me the lowrance units have a really bad reputation for odd readings. The one I have ever seen was a bit clunky to use and consistently gave readings about 20 or so feet east of my Garmin units.

I personaly love my new Garmin etrex Venture Cx. About $180 with usb connection, routing capabilities (maps extra) and a rugged little easy to use unit.

I am new to GPS's in general and thought this one looked good. I like to hike, hunt, fish and generally get lost in the woods. Can anyone tell me good and bad things about this one in particular?

Thanks,

Dave

I have a Hunt and I love it. I go geocaching with a friend that has a Garmin 76 and as far as finding caches, when we compare readings we are never more then 3 or 4 feet from one another, and when it comes to keeping a lock on the satellites my Hunt will keep a lock in tree cover when his wont. He liked the Hunt well enough to go buy one for himself.

Lowrance makes great units with outstanding reception. The Hunt C should be no exception. Their user interface however is a bit clunky and hard to figure out compared to Garmin's.

Also, the Lowrance handhelds don't support autorouting (turn by turn driving directions). If that is a feature you might want you are probably better off going with something like the Garmin Venture CX or Map 60CX.

I have the H20 and love it. Good reception even in tree cover, consistently accurate, and the interface is less clunky than other brands I've occasionally borrowed. The Hunt probably isn't that much different.

Lots of features for a good price. I've never regretted choosing this one.

I have the H20 and love it. Good reception even in tree cover, consistently accurate, and the interface is less clunky than other brands I've occasionally borrowed. The Hunt probably isn't that much different.

Lots of features for a good price. I've never regretted choosing this one.

I have had my Hunt C for over a year now, and it has performed flawlessly. Great signal reception and the coordinates have been spot on every time. The only problem and it is very minor is that it does not connect directly to a pc. The memory card is behind the batteries so it is a hassle to take it out. Now for me I only have to take it out once a week or so, so it is a very minor problem for me. I would not hesitate to reccomend this unit to anyone.

I had an iFinder (Explorer) and lost it. I didn't hesitate to replace it with another iFinder (Expedition). Never had a problem with accuracy or reception with either.

I would suggest two things to you: (1) head over to the Lowrance website and compare some of the various receivers, and (2) consider getting a "Plus" package with included mapping.

For comparing receivers, there is a tool on the website. Just call up the Hunt and click on the compare button. You might find the features of the Explorer to be sufficient for your use as it is similar to the Hunt, but generally cheaper. Both of my iFinders have electronic compasses and they work well with infrequent calibration necessary, but maybe you don't want that feature. Perhaps the color screen offered on an H2O C would be more desireable and it could probably be had for about the same price as the Hunt. Regardless of which you choose, you won't be disappointed.

With regard to the "Plus" package, Lowrance's MapCreate software offers detailed road, waterway, topo, etc. details not available in the basemap, and most people find themselves wanting for detailed maps if they don't get them up front. The software is much cheaper as part of a "Plus" package rather than purchasing it separately later.

If you're interested in autorouting, you can generally search around and find a stand-alone automobile receiver with a larger touch screen and voiced directions that, when added to the price of an iFinder Plus package, is about equal to or less than a 60CSX with all it's associated mapping software.

If you're interested in autorouting, you can generally search around and find a stand-alone automobile receiver with a larger touch screen and voiced directions that, when added to the price of an iFinder Plus package, is about equal to or less than a 60CSX with all it's associated mapping software.

I'd really like to see how you'd get a handheld GPSr plus a touchscreen automotive one for equal or less than a 60CSx and the Mapsource City Navigator software....

However, if buying the Chevrolet of GPSr units (Lowrance) *plus* an auto unit appeals more than buying the Ferrari of GPSr units (60CSx) that can do it all...be my guest. B)

I'd really like to see how you'd get a handheld GPSr plus a touchscreen automotive one for equal or less than a 60CSx and the Mapsource City Navigator software....

However, if buying the Chevrolet of GPSr units (Lowrance) *plus* an auto unit appeals more than buying the Ferrari of GPSr units (60CSx) that can do it all...be my guest. B)

If you spent your time doing anything other than trolling posts from non-Garmin users and those with disabilities, you could have found it. From my January post:

Finally, I’ll throw in a word (well, okay an entire anlysis) about cost. A few days ago, I was curious, so I looked up some prices on Tiger GPS to compare the possibilities of purchasing a 60Cx with all of its associated software versus buying an H2O C Plus in addition to a stand-alone voice-guided vehicle receiver.

Here’s what I came up with:

Garmin 60 Cx-------------------------376.81

Garmin NA City Navigatior 8---------124.99

Garmin MapSource Topo-------------- 89.99

Total------------------------------------591.79

Lowrance iFinder H2O C Plus--------299.32

Garmin StreetPilot i5 w/ maps------299.99

Total-----------------------------------599.31

A guy in our office got a color Garmin car receiver for less than $150 at a recent Radio Shack sale, but I kept all of the comparisons from the same retailer for consistency.

Now, it seems that some of Garmin's prices have come down somewhat since that time, but the prices of stand-alones have come way down since that time also. I'm frankly not interested enough to update any of the figures and I'm not interested in investing any more time for someone that cannot post a comparative analysis to support an obviously specious statement such as one receiver being assumedly lower quality than another without any knowledge of more than one of the receivers involved. That is, I'm assuming you consider a Chevrolet to be inferior to a Ferrari and it somehow relates to GPS receivers.

You would have some credibility if you could post any experience using any Lowrance receiver or any stand-alone routing unit because it does not appear you have used either. An off-handed statement doesn't do this.

If you spent your time doing anything other than trolling posts from non-Garmin users and those with disabilities, you could have found it.

Cute...I'll ignore your off-topic statements and proceed...

Here's an updated price list...all taken from Amazon.com:

Garmin 60 CSx------------------------- 359.99

Garmin NA City Navigatior 8--------- 109.05

Garmin MapSource Topo-------------- 79.95

Total------------------------------------ 548.99

Lowrance iFinder H2O C Plus-------- 315.00

Garmin StreetPilot i5 w/ maps------ 264.00

Total----------------------------------- 579.00

Now...do you have anything else you think is cute you'd like to add?

Now, it seems that some of Garmin's prices have come down somewhat since that time, but the prices of stand-alones have come way down since that time also. I'm frankly not interested enough to update any of the figures and I'm not interested in investing any more time for someone that cannot post a comparative analysis to support an obviously specious statement such as one receiver being assumedly lower quality than another without any knowledge of more than one of the receivers involved. That is, I'm assuming you consider a Chevrolet to be inferior to a Ferrari and it somehow relates to GPS receivers.

Translation: I'm too lazy to do the research to back up my claims.

I've backed up my claim that it is indeed cheaper to buy the 60 CSx with all associated maps than it is to buy the Lowrance and a car unit.

Care to refute me now?

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

From Amazon:

Lowrance iWay 250C . . . 194.99

I can do this all day long, but you didn't actually assert that it couldn't be done. You just asked how.

My problem -- and after some reflection I did overreact, by the way -- was the assertion that the a Lowrance receiver was inferior without a demonstration as to why. To me, that hijacks the thread and does not serve the purpose set forth by the OP, which is the whole reason we're posting here to begin with, I assume.

Anyhow, like I said, I did overreact and am not interested in a flame war. As such, I apologize for using the overly harsh language and tone.