Need help with my Etrex Vista

I have had my Vista for about 2 weeks now and have failed in trying to program the current date. Today it reads that it is Dec.22,2024. I have read over the manual several times and have followed everything step by step to load in the current date and it will not work. I go to the main menu, then accessories and then to calender to change the date. Please correct me if I am wrong in these steps. Also if I use the set to current date option it goes to Dec.22,2024. And no, I am not from the future, LOL! :anitongue:

Your help would be gladly appreciated. <_<

You need to turn it on and get a satellite lock. It get the time from the GPS satellites. You then set your time zone to get the correct local time.

Thanks for the info Red90, but the time is not a problem, it is the date. The chapter in the manual is a little screwey. The step by step information just does not work for programming my current date. I'm pretty sure that it is the basic setup for all Etrex models. I am hoping that someone out there with an Etrex can help me out. I have tried every possible scenerio to load in the proper information and it just doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is I am possibly in the wrong part of the menu options. According to the manual though the calender is where you would change your date.

Thanks for the info Red90, but the time is not a problem, it is the date. The chapter in the manual is a little screwey. The step by step information just does not work for programming my current date. I'm pretty sure that it is the basic setup for all Etrex models. I am hoping that someone out there with an Etrex can help me out. I have tried every possible scenerio to load in the proper information and it just doesn't work. The only thing I can think of is I am possibly in the wrong part of the menu options. According to the manual though the calender is where you would change your date.

Date *is* time. You cannot set the date in a GPS, only the timezone. If you do as Red90 said the GPS will discover the time *and* the date from the satellites. You need to leave the GPS somewhere with clear skyview until it locks onto its current position. This may take a while the first time. If that doesn't work then your GPS is faulty.

You need to turn it on and get a satellite lock. It get the time from the GPS satellites. You then set your time zone to get the correct local time.

There is no setting of the date and time. It receives that information from the satellites. All you do is set the UTC offset and Daylight Savings Time setting.

There are date entry fields that can be changed on both the calendar page, Sun & Moon page, and Fishing & Hunting page. But those are for looking at past or future data, not for setting the internal clock.

Thanks for all of your help. I have come to a conclusion that I must have a faulty unit and will contact Garmin or see what else I can do to troubleshoot the problem. My Vista still reads that I am 17 years in the future on Dec.23rd.

Sometimes, installing the latest firmware or doing a hard reset resolve these issues and save you time without your unit!

Thanks for all of your help. I have come to a conclusion that I must have a faulty unit and will contact Garmin or see what else I can do to troubleshoot the problem. My Vista still reads that I am 17 years in the future on Dec.23rd.

Sometimes, installing the latest firmware or doing a hard reset resolve these issues and save you time without your unit!

UPDATE:

You called it, thanks. I waited days for an Email from Garmin and no reply, so I decided to utilize the toll free #. Every time I try to use a toll free # for any business it is impossible to get thru, but my luck changed today. Called Garmin and got right thru and was truly amazed. They sent me a time folder download asap. I am hooked up and ready to cache! :laughing: