76CSx Ram mount

jackrr

I have a RAM suction mount on my windshield and I hated the GPSr holder for it. I finally found an adapter that let me use that suction mount with a Garmin holder. MUCH better! I'm at work right now and don't have a bookmark for the adapter. I had to buy the Garmin dash mount and remove the holder to use with the adapter. The combination of the RAM suction mount and the Garmin holder is great.

Yes you are right about being hard to get out/in and if you are not careful you will tear the rubber rand loose from around the 76csx. I have used a die grinder to remove some material on my mount to make the lower legs a little more flexible and easier to pull apart but if it ever breaks it will be my tough luck as I am sure RAM will not warranty a altered product.

Yes you are right about being hard to get out/in and if you are not careful you will tear the rubber rand loose from around the 76csx. I have used a die grinder to remove some material on my mount to make the lower legs a little more flexible and easier to pull apart but if it ever breaks it will be my tough luck as I am sure RAM will not warranty a altered product.

I just removed a little material from the lip that holds the bottom of the unit. Easier to insert/remove, no weakening of the "legs"

I just removed a little material from the lip that holds the bottom of the unit. Easier to insert/remove, no weakening of the "legs"

Very good solution and I am sure a much better way to go. I will try that on the holder my wife has.

Thanks Klatch

5b5f2ecc-7929-4bd5-a8ad-cb58b58e5764.jpg

Here are the mods that I did on my old 76 mount. The cut out saves the power plug cover from getting crushed. I trimed the edges off the corners for better placement of my new 76Cx.

I thought of doing that cutout for the power plug, but I chickened out because I was worried about weakening the center of the holder too much. Now that I see you have done it (without problems?) I will revisit the idea. Thanks for the great pictures.

Thanks for the pictures aquafuzz & klatch. I'm going to go get the die grinder out right now.

As far as I'm concerned the mount is not suitable when it's that hard to remove/install your GPSr. I just about dropped mine on the floor several times trying to remove it. I tried klatch's mod first but the GPSr was still awkward to remove. After a lot of head scratching trying to find a better way of doing it I finally bit the bullet and did aquafuzz's more radical mod. I cut them corners right off just like he did. What a difference that made. The unit just slides in and out so easy now. I was concerned that it might slide out all by itself but so far so good. I'll have to go down some rougher roads and see what happens.

Thanks for the pictures aquafuzz & klatch. I'm going to go get the die grinder out right now.

As far as I'm concerned the mount is not suitable when it's that hard to remove/install your GPSr. I just about dropped mine on the floor several times trying to remove it. I tried klatch's mod first but the GPSr was still awkward to remove. After a lot of head scratching trying to find a better way of doing it I finally bit the bullet and did aquafuzz's more radical mod. I cut them corners right off just like he did. What a difference that made. The unit just slides in and out so easy now. I was concerned that it might slide out all by itself but so far so good. I'll have to go down some rougher roads and see what happens.

Had mine out in the boat this weekend and had no problems. A lot of chop on the water too. Its the best thing Ive done. By the way my edge rubber around my 76Cx was so bad I sent it to garmin for replacement. Under warranty of course. Just said the rubber was falling apart.

Aside from the issue of the RAM cradle destroying the rubber around my old 76CS I had another problem with it. I put my unit in and out of the cradle so often that I ended up breaking two of the cradles. Each time one of the "arms" broke. Since I got the adapter and use the Garmin cradle with the RAM suction mount I haven't had any issues at all. I vastly prefer the Garmin cradle as the unit simply slides in from the top and there is already a notch in it to accomodate the external power cable.